3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stringer question  (Read 432 times)

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Stringer question
« on: November 26, 2013, 05:50:00 PM »
Been shooting recurves about 25 years and for the life of me I cannot get the hang of the stringers that have a rubber pad that goes on the top limb and a pocket for the bottom . I use the ones with 2 pockets for the limb tips .

What am I doing wrong ? I slide the rubber pad as far up the limb as I can . But it feels like I'm about to break a bow getting them strung . Plus they scare the daylights out of me , I'm afraid the rubber pad is gong to slip on me .

Suggestions ?
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline JBridegroom22

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stringer question
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
The cup and block is the only one I have used. I just slide the block till it hits the string put both feet on the stringer with a wide stance and pull while I put the sting in the string groove. Scared me half to death the first time I strung my static tip but I'm used to it now.
Josh

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
Yep a learning curve for sure, but they work well especially for statics and big curve recurves.

Stabilize the rubber pad as you start flexing the bow and then it will stay put as you slide the loop up to the nock, make sure the string is in the grooves and then relax the tension.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
Seems like you are making the limb flex where it don't normally flex .

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »
I prefer the two pocket ones myself, particularly the one made by Black Widow. However, there are certain bows a two pocket stringer doesn't work very well on. Some bows have tiny upper limb tips, and the upper pocket swallows up the string groove. They don't work well with some longbows because the upper limb tip tends to slip out of the upper pocket.

For those bows, a stringer with a rubber pad works best.  Use one that is new enough that the rubber is still soft and will stick easily to the limb.  As was mentioned, using two feet on the string gives you better leverage on the upper limb, and will make it easier to get enough bend in the limb to string it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
These don't seem to be very popular on here,but I think they are bullet proof. They can't slip off and they are easily adjustable. I just figured I would post a picture so you could see how they work. They clip on over the top and bottom.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
Mcdave the one I use the most is a black widow .

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jack Whitmire Jr:
Seems like you are making the limb flex where it don't normally flex .
The block part usually is near the curve of the limb so you are bending the entire bottom limb and the middle of the upper limb were it bends in draw. You are only bending it a few inches not your full draw but only to get just past brace height.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
Webster string IMO is the best on the market. It's made from nylon webbing and has a pocket on each end, it's great!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Richo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
The block and pocket type one came with my Buffalo.  It was a little nerve racking actually using it for the first time.  I had visions of me and my $1000 bow with a snapped limb.  But I find it really good now.
55# Hoyt Buffalo
47# Razor Custom Bow

Australian Army 2005-2010
Royal Australian Air Force 2011-

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
I had no problems using the Webster when stringing up Kempf Kwyk Stiks here with static limbs. I made sure every customer had one when they ordered a bow from me.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
I like the double pocket ones when the limb tips are long enough to access the string grooves.

I have a couple bows, one, a Habu has very short limb tips and none of my stringers except for the block or leather pad types give me access to move the string on or off the limb tip.

The two feet spread makes this much easier as stated above.

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
The advice I got for using one with a pocket and block was to shorten it if you are struggling with it.  I couldn't get one to string my Kwyk Styk until I shortened the stringer.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
I have two of the block and pocket style and they work fine on all my recurves from 56" to 66".  Slide the block to the tip and hold it there as you step on the line and pull the bow up.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 03:00:00 AM »
I use the stringer from Thunderhorn for my recurves and hybrids. Even for my static tip recurve. Works great and the rubber block never slipped.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 07:04:00 AM »
I can get them strung using the block type stringer , but I don't get the warm and fussies doing so . Someone post a picture of the webster stringer please .

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 07:14:00 AM »
If you have a high brace height it is a little sketchy placing the rubber block that far down the limb but with a lower brace it is far enough out on the limb to not bother me.  x2 on using both feet to spread the load so you do not have to pull up so high with your arm.  I am short so this was just something I needed to do regardless of my stringer choice.  

My understanding(although it may be hog wash) is that the dual pocket stringers are harder on the upper limb because there is so little holding onto the very tip of the limb.  I guess the pocket and block are actually safer for the bow.  I use both depending on the bow being strung.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »
Went out on Web and looked at webster stringer , looks like it has a small pocket for upper limb .

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »
The Webster has two pockets for the upper limb...one quite small and the other larger...I string most of my 16 bows with it...the others I use a Selway or the other style pictured with two pads...just need to pick the right stringer for the bow...my bows range in draw weight from 30 to 60 pounds...longbows, recurves and static tips

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
I shortened my cup and block stringer so I could use just one foot. I string bows from 66" longbow and recurve to 58" static tip recurves with no problem. I find I need to push the block slightly toward the tip as I start lifting to keep it from sliding down. Once sufficient tension is on the block, I've never had it slip.

That's not completely true. I did have a problem once and then remembered I'd waxed the bow limbs. I cleaned the rubber block with alcohol and no more problems. That's probably not a bad idea once in a while, wax or no wax. I imagine the block can get lint or dust on it and become a bit more slippery. I have the webster double pocket stringer, but really did not feel comfortable string my static tips with it, where as I find my cup and block easy to use with any of my bows; straight or bent.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©