3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Steppe Eagle #1...Shooting report added!  (Read 1148 times)

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Steppe Eagle #1...Shooting report added!
« on: November 26, 2013, 10:03:00 PM »
About 6-8 months ago, I gave Sixby a call at Eaglewing Archery and had lengthy talk with him about building me a bow.

I told him I wanted a static tip recurve or longbow that came in at 56" and had belly mounted limbs.

I talked with him about what I liked when it came to how a bow looks.  Also discussed my priorities.  The two items that topped my list were number 1: Quiet; and number 2: smooth draw.  Told him speed was okay, but didn't want to sacrifice either of the top two for it.  Steve assured me what he delivered would be no slouch in the speed department though.

We discussed his Talon II quite a bit.  He talked about limb geometry and some things he was working on.

So, after we hung up, I sent my deposit to him and began my wait.

Fast forward to about 3 weeks or so ago.  Was swapping emails with Steve and he dropped a bombshell on me.

He had added a brand new model to his lineup.  This bow was to be known as the Steppe Eagle.  And, I was about to receive bow #1 of the model (aside from a prototype he had done R&D with).

That, to me, seemed like such an honor.  Steve is such an artistic bowyer.  One of the reasons I chose him was that I had never seen one of his bows that I thought was not just astounding visually.  The second reason was, of all the research I had done, I had never read one single, negative comment about any of his bows.

4 days ago, I got an email from Steve saying the bow had shipped.  Today, I picked it up at the post office and had to open the package while sitting in my truck in the parking lot.

I was floored by the beauty of what I held in my hands.  I had told Steve that I liked woods that had contrast and big, bold grain.  I then left the rest to him.  What he created took my breath away.

The riser is Zebra Wood and Leopard Wood with Zebra Wood veneers.  It came in at 52#@28" which is dead on my favorite bow weight.

Enough words.

May I present Eaglewing Archery's Steppe Eagle (#1):

Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Steppe Eagle #1...Shooting report added!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »

Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
Nice one!

Bisch

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
With the storm slamming us here in Virginia, I've not had the opportunity to shoot it.  The draw is oh so smooth.  Feels nothing like 52#.

I'll be following up in a couple of days with some photos from shooting.

Steve has been nothing but a pleasure to deal with through this process.  Anyone who has not spent some time with him either via phone, email, or in person is missing out on a true gentleman, a true artist, and a spectacular bowyer.

Thanks Steve!

Ken
Ken Adkins

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 04:43:00 AM »
Nice looking bow!
bryce olson

Online katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 07:25:00 AM »
A real looker for sure, hope Steve checks in a gives us an over view of the new model.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »
Nice!!!!!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
Stunning
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
Beautiful woods, looks fast just sitting there and the shelf is even on the right side. What's not to like?   :)
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »
First, Thanks to Ken for such a fine layout and great pics. I was blessed when he emailed me and asked if it would be alright to do this. I have been trying to stay low profile because I want a bit more home time. I want to keep this bowbuilding fun and continue doing it because I love it.
The Steppe Eagles is a concept that I have been working on for the last ten years. It is my fifth model of Static Recurves and is an effort to comb ine a lot of design concepts that I have worked out in my peanut mind with the aid of first God, then Bro. Kirk and finally my experience with these bows. Everytime I build a new model it is a combination of past models plus improvements.
Up to this time I had not had the personal ability to build a belly mount bow that had a heavy reflex, great speed and good stability. The Talon 11 is very close but not quite as quick as I wanted . Definitely what I consider a great bow though.
When I built the prototype to the Steppe Eagle and shot it the first time I said this is it. With one exception. It was verticaly challenged in the stability at brace. Arrgggggggggggggggg. I absolutely loved the bow though , but I already had built one of these verticaly challenged bows in the Origonal Talon and didn't want to go backwards in that department. Soooooooo back to the drawing boards and finally I decided to deflex the limb with a new wedge. It worked.

God blessed with a super quick, belly mount bow with low brace height, good vertical stability, good horizontal stability, quiet and very easy to pull.
What can I say but God is good!!!!

Oh in case you all had not noticed the thumb rest. It is an add on.
God bless you all, Steve

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
Congratulations. That is a reall looker. If it shoots as good as it looks you have a real winner there.

Offline Lippe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
Ken, That is a beautiful bow! I have a storm eagle
that Steve made me and it is all I could possibly want in a bow. It's my favorite of the 17 bows I own.
Lippe

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »
" It was verticaly challenged in the stability at brace. "

Could you please explain this comment?  I'm not too quick on the uptake sometimes.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 02:05:00 PM »
Hermon, Vertical stability is easiest described by grabbing the string in the center and pulling the string back and forth toward one limb end and then toward the other.

This supposedly effects the shot at release although I personaly do not believe it to be as critical as some bowyers say because a limb may not be verticly stable at brace but be extremely stable just an inch or two past brace.

I have shot many D and R bows that are verticaly terrible but shot real good for me. Same with recurves.

It is my personal opinion that horizontal stability or torsional stability is much much more important. this keeps excess oscillation and torqueing of the limbs and insures sure tracking of the string. Just my honest opinion.

However due to the criticism of some of my peers of the marginal stability of the original Talon limb I wanted this limb to be both verticly and torsionaly stable.

I hope my convoluted explanation helps,

God bless, Steve

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »
3 under where in the wild world of sports is Grundy. I live in a little town north of emporia
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »
ML,
Seny you a PM
Ken
Ken Adkins

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
Sixby-
Thanks for the explanation, but like I said I'm slow on the uptake...

Is this basically the same as in G. Fred's first book where he is shooting a very light weight bow and showing the difference in how the limbs reacted as he uses a high wrist grip and then a low wrist grip?

But at brace rather than full draw of course.

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 04:32:00 PM »
Love the low-wrist grip. That's a special bow!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Online katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
OOOOHHHH, AAAAHHHH, thanks for the info Steve, Love the thumb rest option. May have to get on the list after bro Kirk finishes another bow for me.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
Wow!!!

Steve - You finally got it!! Glad to hear it finally came together.

Another one on the want list......

Congrats on your bow!
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©