3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Steppe Eagle #1...Shooting report added!  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Steppe Eagle #1...Shooting report added!
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
Thanks guys. The thumb rest is the window cutout. It fits on the opposite side and the stripes match up very close if not perfect. Its hard to tell its even an addition. Also a neat thing happening with this bow is that somehow the stripe changed from leopard wood in the sight window to zebra wood. Almost magical Ha ha. The first time I did that was an accident and it took me a long long time to even  figure out how it happened.
God bless, Steve

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
Sooooo how fast is it???
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2013, 01:48:00 AM »
Enough that I'm happy happy   :goldtooth:    :biglaugh:  

God bless, Steve

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
Congrats, Ken, and Steve on such a beautiful bow!

Look forward to checking it out in person in the near future.

Let me know when you are going to around C'Burg or Roanoke!
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »
Will do Bob.

May be that week before the Hill Gang Hunt in Jan.

I'll give you a shout.  Will definitely bring it to GA, but won't be hunting with it.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »
Beautiful Bow! Steve you are on heck of a bowyer!
James Kerr

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
James, Thanks for the kind comments. God is good, I do the best I can do but He deserves the credit. There are some really great bowyers and bow hunters and archers on this site. I count my self blessed just to get to know them and associate with them. Up to the time I started meeting some of these guys on the net and then in person I was pretty much removed from this society being in the west. I've still not made any of the big shoots or trad meets back in the east and mid west. This site is pretty much my bow social life along with Bro Kirk.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
Steve,
If you ever make it to Virginia, you're more than welcome in my camp.
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2013, 01:32:00 PM »
Ken, Thanks for that invite. Sounds better than the Smithsonian to me.   :biglaugh:

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »
Wow!  That is a very cool looking bow Steve.   :thumbsup:

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
Kirk, Thanks, I have  built a few risers with zebra and leopard. It has  become one of my favorite combinations. The leopard I was blessed with is really heavily spotted and makes some really neat contrast look. I don't have any pics at full draw but if Ken has perhaps he will show it. Again thanks for the comments.
As to draw, Its definitely a high early weight with very even draw to full draw. I will be sending a bow to you pretty soon for full testing.

God bless, Steve

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »
ttt
God bless, Steve

Offline Hubi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
Hey Ken,

give us a review about the performance of that beauty please   :wavey:    :wavey:

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2013, 11:32:00 PM »
Its coming.  I promise.  Work has me all tied up until dark every day right now...will post a shooting report asap.
Ken Adkins

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2013, 03:19:00 AM »
Now THAT, is one great looking bow! I love the wood combinations, and that design looks outstanding! Great job, and congrats to you both. I've been meaning to try a belly mount, and static to boot! Sounds like a winner to me.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
We definitely need a review and more pics of course.

Steve, I know you make great bows. I  test-drove your talon in the past and I still think about that bow. I shot very narrow groups with that bow on big distances, like I owned it for years. Now I read that you even improved that design. Darned... This one looks like a stunner to me.

You are truly blessed!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »
Flying Duthman: Now I read that you even improved that design.

The only similarity Ad is that this is a belly mount. It is a completely different limb design, An improvement I have been working on off of the original Talon 1 and the Soverign Ballistic but in a belly mount limb that is different than either one of those but incorporates overall basic design.

Thanks again for all the kind comments.
God bless, Steve

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
Amazing looking work.  When I finally get an EW this is what I want.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
Okay guys....Just froze my butt off shooting my first few rounds with this bow.

Here's my report.  It is a bit long, but I think it helps when you know where the writer is coming from.

I started shooting trad in 2006.  My first 2 bows were longbows.  Then, about 2 1/2 yrs ago, I decided to wade into the world of recurves.  Since then, I've went through a dozen or maybe 18 recurves.  Still own some, don't own others any longer.  I found recurves to be a bit more fickle about shooting...ohh! and they were loud compared to my longbows.

I acquired my first belly mount bow (BW PSA) and instantly fell in love with the handle forward concept.  Physics told me that handle torque would be drastically reduced.  That PSA is one of the bows I no longer own because, aside from the noise, recurves were heavy.  I didn't like that.  Not a deal breaker, but not preferable either.

About a year ago, I was fortunate enough to come across a bow that did it all for me...it was smooth drawing, quiet, and pretty doggone fast.  Short, at 56", I found the recurve that fit me.  It was a Jack Kempf Kwyk Styk.  For the next several months, I started looking for a backup bow (hunting bow) for the KS.

I read and read reviews of the KS, then stumbled onto some posts by this feller named Sixby here on Tradgang...LOL.

I was impressed!  He seemed to understand that making a shorter or longer bow, wasn't always just about putting the same limbs on a shorter or longer riser...his explanations of limb geometry and the physics of shooting a bow were so in-depth...but he wrote them so that even I (a nurse by trade) could understand it.

I had made the decision to go ahead and call Jack Kempf and get on his list for a 56" Kempf KS.  And I had made the decision that it would be my first true, full-blown custom bow.  A bow that myself and the bowyer discuss before any glue is spilled or any saw or grinder is turned on.  It would be a bow that both of us would be happy with.  I own many custom bows, but this would be the first one that was "my" custom bow.

On a whim, one day though, I called Steve at Eagle Wing Archery.  We talked about bow length, longbow vs. static tip recurve, grips, centercut...everything.  Long story short...we worked the specs out on this bow right there that day.  Several months later:  The first non prototype Steppe Eagle was born and on its way to me.

Steve and I swapped a couple of emails.  We talked about brace height.  He told me he preferred shooting low brace height bows and I told him I would start low and work up if needed.  My preference is for low brace height bows also (one reason I like the Thunderstick MOAB longbow so much).

Today I was able to go out and fire the first shots from this stunning bow.

At a brace height of 6", I am totally satisfied with the peformance.  Steve said I can go up if needed, but I'm happy right there.

Here are my takes on the things that are most important to me in a bow.

Smoothness:  This bow does not feel like 52 lbs @ 28".  I realize a lot of that comes from the Static Tips.  That is fine with me.  I've owned over a dozen bows that came in from 51#-53#@28".  The Kempf Kwyk Styk was the smoothest drawing bow I'd ever shot up until the Steppe Eagle.  The Steppe Eagle is definitely as smooth as the KS, and, I believe, is smoother.  I've only shot it for an hour so far (in 18 degree temps), but Steve definitely hit a homerun in the smoothness department.

Quietness:  As I said, every mechanical limb recurve I've ever shot has been loud.  The 2 or 3 static tips were lots more quiet.  The Steppe Eagle is just as quiet as any of those (more so than 1 owned).  Another homerun.

Speed:  Now I'm not a speed freak.  Really don't care about how fast a bow is as long as I can hit what I'm aiming at.  With that said,  the Steppe Eagle is stunningly fast.  On par with, maybe faster, than my KS of exact same specs.

Handling:  Here, obviously, is the more subjective category.  I love hunting with 1 pc longbows.  They are so light in the hand, just a joy to carry.  But, as many others, I shoot more consistently with a bow that has a bit of mass.  When ordering, I had that discussion with Steve, so he knew what I was after.  Handling was important to me.  He didn't disappoint.  The Steppe Eagle is a trim riser, with no extra "fluff" (except in the looks dept. lol).  There is that bit of mass there to help consistency, but it will be a joy to carry in the woods.

So there you have it.  My take on Steve's Steppe Eagle.  Anyone looking for a truly stunning bow (looks, handling, shooting) should definitely give  Steve a call.

I've already started saving for my next Steppe Eagle which will serve as a backup to this one for hunting.

Couple of additional pics:

Ken Adkins

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »
Sweet bow, Ken!
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©