3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lurkers campfire and deer hunt.  (Read 816 times)

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
Lurkers campfire and deer hunt.
« on: November 27, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
I confess, I am a lurker. Don't talk much so I guess that carries over to my internet too. I do have a little story to tell, so if your interested, pull up a chair around the old campfire and I will try and spin a little tale. If I can remember how to make these photos work  :)
http://s307.photobucket.com/user/CKRADA/media/recurve%20buck%202013/640firepit2013.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn301/CKRADA/recurve%20buck%202013/640firepit2013.jpg" border="0" alt="Happy campfire photo 640firepit2013.jpg"/>
We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lurkers campfire and deer hunt.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
will read up on it and try again later.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
You're close on the photos.  Just copy and paste the IMG info from Photobucket.  Like this.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
img code.  copy then paste to to your post.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
Now on with the story   :cool:    :campfire:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
Ok:

Hope this works this time.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
Those coals are in need of a dutch oven badly, as well as some marshmallows.     :campfire:
shoot straight shoot often

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »
Hea what do you know?
Like I said, I have done a lot of reading on here and very little story telling. I have done a few when I had a story to tell. Trad gang has been a lot of fun for me over the years and I even got to hunt on one of the Jan. hunts in Texas with the group and had a ball. Thanks Trad Gang!

I have had a pretty good year this year and have seen a lot of little bucks (we have an 8 point minimum on our club) I saw a couple of good "shooter" deer, but no good shots on them, and very few Does. I had passed on a couple of Doe early in October,since they had young twin fawns with them. But in November, I have not been able to buy a shot at a Doe.
I took off the middle of Nov and hunted for several days. Lots of chasing, lots of Doe and buck sightings, but not any shots. Until late in the week, when this finally happened.

Whoops, got to go home.
See I have been reading and learning from you pros!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
:banghead:  
You have learned to well.    :biglaugh:   Congrats.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
:coffee:    :coffee:
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline edge2009

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »
Man how I hate commercial breaks!
Jake Edge

Kanati 43# @ 28"

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
Well, I am back. Using lap top at home so may be a little slow, and spelling may suffer.

Anyway, I had rocked along not getting any shots, on Nov. 6-10 I was able to hunt, and saw some good deer but again no shots. Weather was to be cold and wet so went back to work on 11 - 12, then back to camp for the rest of the week.

I have a stand that is in a dry creek in an open pasture. Trees are pretty thin along the creek, pasture on both sides. You get the picture I hope because I didn't take one.
The stand was in an elm. A 15 foot ladder stand, it was hid pretty good. Its a rut stand, it connects a big oak ridge to a big creek and runs across a 300 acre pasture. On Nov. 7 the wind was right so I hunted it that morning. Man what a show, had a big 10 point come through at 30 yards but he was running so no shot, I then had a small 6 come right under the stand followed 30 minutes later by a fat forky. More importantly I had 6 Doe and 2 fawn come by right across the creek but to far. But a good sign for later sits.

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
Like I said, the weather got, cold, wet, and windy so I went home and came back on the 12th. The next morning I got up in that same tree, in the dark. Something didn't look right, but I strapped in and waited for the light. When the sun came up I realized half the elm leaves where gone. The wind came up with the sun, and by 8:00 am all the rest of the leaves had fallen off the tree. Not good, had a Doe and a forky come down the trail and both pegged me. I probably looked like a popsickle on a stick  :)
Now what I going to do? Well, ladder stands are easy to move and across the trail was a small red oak that still had its leaves, so long story short, my buddy David and I moved it during lunch.
Only had a black and white camera with me so the picture is a little primitive, but it looked something like this:

:)
I decided to hunt it that night, and am glad I did, exciting stuff brothers!

Have to take a break for dinner, be back soon!
Oh! My processor wanted me to try what he calls deer bacon, so the deer pictured above was turned into chicken fried steaks and 4 tubes of deer bacon. Taste kind of like spam, but better!!!

Bone a petteat! That's all the French I know  :)

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »
I'm back, That evening I got up in the stand around 3:00 pm. The action started early! 5 doe and 3 fawn cut across the creek to my left, followed by a small 6 point. They moved down the creek straight across from me and a good 8 point came boiling over the hill across the open pasture. He ran off the 6 point, and then chased the Doe over the hill. I was shaking like a possum, well you know  :)
It was quiet for an hour or so, when I heard dogs barking, pretty soon I had 15 deer run behind my stand. one was a huge ivory horned 8 point. They ran off into the pasture to my left. Not long after 3 Australian shepards ran up through. Thought that might be it but I wasn't leaving, just in case.
30 minutes later, here came a single Doe followed by that buck, and I got set.

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
Keep going!  Your good at Pictionary aren't you.    :)
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
You have been studying the Tradgang pros for sure.

:campfire:
Member NCBA

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
Well, I am going to finish this up now, not real good at long drawn out stories. Tomorrow I have to travel to Thanksgiving dinner, and the next day its back to the lease for 3 days, so here goes:
The buck and Doe crossed out of range and out of my life. It was heck of a night in Gods good creation. back to the campfire and my buddies.
The next morning was another glorious day in the stand! A nice ten point was coming in down wind of me. Now, you may not believe this next part but if I'm lie en I'm die en. But 30 years ago I started dipping snuff to quit smoking. it worked, but although I have quit dipping snuff 10 times, I still can't shake the habit, so I was spitting below my stand. That buck bee lined straight under my stand and started sniffing the snuff. Unfortunately, he turned and walked back the way he came.
30 minutes later, 5 Doe came right to left, on the trail that would come right in front of my stand. All they had to do was go a little more to the left for me to shoot. I put tension on the string and waited.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©