3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how long does your bow season last?  (Read 530 times)

Offline edge2009

• Trad Bowhunter
how long does your bow season last?
« on: November 27, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »
Just curious, I was wondering what state has the longest bow season? Also, how does your tags work? Earn a buck, over the counter, or possession limit?

Here in FL the state is broke into 4 zones with archery being about a month long starting in October, then a week of muzzle loader, then general gun opens and stays open until the end of January. (for my zone)

I believe your allowed 2 deer a day, 4 in possession. Again, this may vary depending where in the state.

Of course we have many WMA's that are only archery, some are a qouta lotto system and some have a antler restriction 5 " minimum spike buck, does are allowed during archery on private, but vary on certain WMAs.

So how does your season work?
Jake Edge

Kanati 43# @ 28"

Re: how long does your bow season last?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
Where I hunt in TX I can shoot 5 deer, not more than 3 bucks. The tags come on my license when I buy it.

We have an archery only season for the first month and then a general season for the rest. Any legal weapon can be used in the general season. The season this year opened on Sept 28th and I can bowhunt deer until Feb 2nd.

Bisch

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
Jan 15 2014
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
SC 8/1-1/1 bow, gun starts 8/15 in the low country. 5 months for deer, shoot to your happy as we get many doe tags on our lease/private land. Have harvested 2 good bucks same sit several times. WMA many more restrictions on dates and harvest.

Hogs are year round and march to june you can hunt at night with virtually no restrictions on gear, ie bow, guns, lights, night vision whatever, yeah they want the heard kept down.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »
Wisconsin has a lot of rules since the CWD invasion.    We can archery hunt pretty much from the second weekend in September thru to the start of January, with some breaks built in.I believe we can bow hunt during gun seasons now but have to wear orange. Different areas of the state are different though with at least a few areas open (for bow) until mid January.

In the CWD areas, tags are free and unlimited (you need a license).  Outside the CWD area there are different rules for different areas.

ChuckC

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
In KY, deer season with archery began on Sept. 7, 2013 and it runs through Jan. 20 of 2014. Archers may hunt deer during gun seasons but must wear orange on the head, chest, and back during any and all firearms seasons. There are 4 zones with zone 1 being the most liberal and zone 4 being the most restrictive. Only one buck per hunter is allowed with the purchase of state tag(s) but there is no limit on does in zone 1. The initial state tag allows 2 deer to be killed and a hunter may purchase an additional tag allowing 2 more deer to be taken(depending on what zone you hunt in) but still only one deer can be a buck, period. In some cases a hunter may take an extra buck on a WMA like Ft. Knox or LBL or a WMA quota hunt but the hunter will have to purchase a special permit to hunt these places. Also, some WMAs require the hunter to apply to be drawn in order to hunt. Did I mention that only ONE buck per hunter may be taken statewide on private land? This is just a small explanation of our archery deer season not including modern gun, crossbow, black-powder seasons, etc. and also there are turkey, elk, small game and black bear seasons.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
In Maryland this year 05SEP- 31JAN  second bonus buck aloud after you take 2 does.
T ZZZZ

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
In Colorado we have a season that's a month long for West of I-25. East of I-25 is about 3 months long, with a couple breaks for rifle.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
NJ is broken into numerous zones and each zone has some differences.  Where I live bow season started September 14 and runs to the second or third Saturday in February (haven't checked the regs yet). The first 3 weeks were earn a buck and then after that it is a maximum of 3 bucks during the 3 archery seasons with unlimited doe tags. During that time frame there is a muzzleloader and shotgun seasons in which you can bowhunt during them or get additional tags (more bucks) and use those weapons.  We also have a fall turkey season which is in October, a small game season and a predator season.  If you add groundhogs and bow fishing you can literally bowhunt just about all year long.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
In Montana its 8/15-1/15.   Early on its Antelope only in August, then elk, deer,moose,goats, sheep, bears, turkeys etc until about the end of November.  Depending on the region, there is a late whitetail doe hunt that lasts until Jan.  

In some regions you can shoot as many as 7 does but only one buck of either species.  Elk, bear, and turkey are over the counter but the exotics are by draw. (and lousy odds I might add)

MT is pretty rough, remote, rugged, and challenging  but the hunting is amazing I must say.

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
Here in the buckeye state it normally starts the last weekend in Sept and runs to the first week of Feb
Doesnt go out , but there is an early season muzzlelader, youth weekend and a week of gun (next week) then a 4 day late season muzzleloader

You dont have to earn a buck here.
Slickhead

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
From September to May! In Tennessee we can shoot three bucks and as many does as we want as well as three turkeys during archery deer season. Deer season runs from the end of September to the first week of January. Then Turkeys in the spring which we can shoot another three. Then it's fishing all spring and summer!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
This year it started September 7th and will end for all weapons January 1st. We are allowed to use archery throughout the season, and each successive weapon season is allowed to continue through gun season. We're in the Northwestern region.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
I'll add a bit more to "ishoot.."s excellent rundown of KY deer seasons.  

The bow season begins on the first Saturday in September and ends 30 minutes after sundown on MLK Day in January.  About 28% of the archery kill comes in September.

The "one-buck" rule was instituted in 1992 and is the biggest reason why KY is number one in Booner bucks per year among all states. When we could kill a buck with a bow and a buck with a rifle most bucks killed in KY were 1.5 years old. Now these bucks represent only about 60% of the harvest. The age structure of our herd is greatly improved and only took 3 years after the law change!

A couple of years ago the State WMA extra buck rule was changed.  Now if it is a state-run WMA, killing a buck will count towards your statewide license. LBL, Ft. Knox, Bluegrass Ammo Depot are still extra buck areas.

We are joined in the field the 2nd weekend of October by about 3,000 youth rifle hunters and the 3rd weekend of October MZZL hunters join us.

Most State WMAs are open to bowhunting season-long but one must draw for a "quota hunt" on WMAs.  A friend just killed a 170+ 12-point in W. KY about 3 weeks ago on one of these quota hunts.

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 12:11:00 AM »
Pennsylvania has you all beat!  Archery season is 6 weeks long (October & 2 weeks in November) with NO Sunday hunting!  Top That!

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2013, 02:15:00 AM »
In OK the deer archery season & fall turkey archery season runs from Oct.1st to Jan.15th every year. Combined season limit is 6 deer, with no more than 2 being antlered deer. One turkey of either sex for fall archery. Tags are OTC unless you have a Lifetime Hunting License (which I do), in which case you are exempt from the purchase of tags. There are some "lottery" controlled hunts that don't count towards your season limit. All archery hunters that hunt during ANY firearms season must wear EITHER a head covering or upper body covering (vest, etc.) in "hunter orange" and orange camo is legal.

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 07:33:00 AM »
Oct1 thru Jan15 in the Sooner state
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2013, 08:13:00 AM »
Sept. 15-Dec.15. in NH.

You can buy a regular  either sex archery tag.

You can buy a bear tag but seasons vary in various parts of the state.

You can buy a turkey tag for the Fall and shoot one of either sex during the regular archery season.

You can buy an additional antlered buck archery tag.

You can hunt with your bow during firearms season in addition to the two archery tags as long as you follow firearms regs in the  area you are hunting. That means you have 3 deer tags if  you buy and use them.

In addition in unit M, you can buy up to 2 additional anterless tags...so theoretically you can get 5 deer tags, a turkey tag and a bear tag.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
In MO. Archery deer starts Sept 15 and runs to Jan 15. We break for firearms season which starts  around Nov 12-16 depending on how the weekends fall. Firearms season lasts 11 days and you can use a bow, you just have to buy a rifle tag. Then bow season reopens and runs concurrent with firearms antler less season for another 8 or 9 days. We then have a muzzleloader season about a week after antlerless ends thru which bow season remains open.  
We have an urban doe season with rifle for a weekend the begining of Oct then have youth gun season the first weekend of Nov.  
We can take 2 buck with only 1 before rifle season and another during rifle season and as many does as you want to buy tags for. Some southern parts of the state don't have the doe tags and antlerless season due to smaller deer population
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
Here in Colorado we have a 4 week season for deer and elk. Starts the last week end of Aug.  The third week of the season  we share with the black powder people. We also have the drew for deer so we get a license every other year.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©