3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Att: Shrew Haven hunters  (Read 733 times)

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Att: Shrew Haven hunters
« on: November 27, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »
The Shrewhaven threads are just one of many threads that I thoroughly enjoy reading, sometimes more then ounce. I would love to hear all the stories that you fellas want to share. The misses, the harvests, the memories!  It doesn't matter if the stories are from this year or from 30 years ago...

Let's try and keep this up top for all to enjoy! Would be neat to have a thread just for the shrew haven stories. The coffees on fellas .....

:campfire:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Att: Shrew Haven hunters
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
We have plenty of stories!    :bigsmyl:  

I learned a lesson on this doe....one of our hard and fast rules is to look at your compass after you put an arrow in a deer. Get a line on the track...

I killed this deer off the ground, and I had been mostly hunting out of tree's at the time. Getting a direction on the deer from a tree is kinda second nature. So when i saw the arrow in this deers chest, I watched her bound away out of sight, and checked my compass. Northwest.

We looked for that deer in the direction I noted for hours. No blood, nothing. I SAW the arrow punch into her ribs, broadside. Dang.

Tom Jenkins, who is probably one of the best trackers around, brought us back to the kill sight. I said "Northwest" he started a grid search North EAST. In short order he found the arrow. Lots of blood. 40 yards away we found the deer. She had made her original bound in the direction I called, but dropped off Banana Ridge in the process. While out of sight she must have changed direction. Had I been in a tree I would have seen this. Lesson learned....when hunting on the ground, pay EXTRA attention to the wounded deers departure.

"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
I call this the hunt for the snowstorm buck. Some years ago before the Shrewhaven cabin was moved to the spot it is now,. I was hunting over a scrape on a late fall day. I had been watching this scape for several days hoping to catch the buck that made it when he came in to check it.

About an hour before dark it started to snow, light at first but soon it was coming down so hard you couldn't see 30yd's. At this point the ground was bare but the snow was coming so heavy it soon covered the ground. I was about to head in because I thought the deer wouldn't be moving in this storm when I saw him coming through the white screen like a ghost out of the fog or in this case snow.

I barely had time to get ready and put an arrow on the string of my 72# osage selfbow. As he circled the scrape to get downwind I sent a cedar shaft tipped with one of Glenn Parkers big Timberwolf 2 bld. broadheads. The shot took him in the neck and he went down thrashing. I was elated for just a few seconds and then much to my surprise he was up and running. He headed down hill towards Armstrong Creek and I heard him splash as he crossed into the heavy cedar swamp near where the cabin now stands.

I took up the trail right away because I thought I'd lose it in the heavy snow if I waited. He was leaving a pretty good trail in the snow but after I got across the ArmStrong into the dark swamp there was no snow on the ground yet and the trail was hard to follow. With my flashlight and on my hands and knees I picked up his trai and slowly followed deeper into the swamp.

After losing the trail several times then finding it again I finely came onto him well after dark. Having no rope and too far from camp to drag him out that night, I dressed him and hung him off the ground the best that I could with my bowstring. As it turned out if I hadn't hung him off the ground that night he would have been buried in the snow and I may not have found him.

I got back to camp at 11:00pm that night as it continued to snow very hard. There was no one to greet me as I was camping alone. I crawled into my sleeping bag not realizing what was in store for me the next day.

When I stepped outside the next morning I couldn't believe the amount of snow that had accumulated during the night. A foot and a half of the fluffy white stuff lay on the ground. I thought, how in the world am I going to get my deer out of that swamp, and am I even going to be able to find him.

I knew there was a fellow bowhunter camped a mile or so from me and he had a canoe. I thought if he would let me borrow his canoe I could float down Armstrong Creek and get close to my buck. I pushed snow with the bumper of my 4x4 to the fellows camp and found him snuggled by the fire enjoying a cup of coffee.

It ended up the fellow offered to go with me and help. I gladly accepted his offer and luckly we remembered to bring a camera. Here's the buck with his head above the snow held by the bowstring from my John Strunk osage bow.

I took this picture of my helper as he brought the canoe in to pick up the buck.

He took this shot of me coming back up the creek.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
I don't think I've posted this picture before of me  looking to where Armstrong creek winds out of sight to the north. It's part of 440 acres of private land that we call home every fall. The hill to the right is part of the mile long Banana Ridge, so named because of it's banana shape. The top of the ridge holds the best stand of oaks for miles around.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 06:01:00 AM »
great stories ron and pics ...thxs for sharing!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Jim Brennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 06:54:00 AM »
I am a big Shrewhaven fan also,love all the stories. Thank You
62" toelke whip 55#@28" 56" thunderchild 49#@28 54" shrew classic hunter 50#@28

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 06:58:00 AM »
Ron,
Great to hear the story behind that last pic in your first post...admired it many times.  It has my two favorites...canoes and bow-killed whitetails!  In the second pic of your help arriving, Armstrong appears to be quite a bit wider than what we'd call a "crik" in my neck of the woods, or is that just the angle?
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 06:58:00 AM »
Always fun reading hunting camp stories, it's these memories from the past that turn it into something we hunters hold dear.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 07:07:00 AM »
Ron, the snow storm buck story and pics are great!    :campfire:

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :campfire:    :archer:

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 07:50:00 AM »
Pretty excellent stuff for sure!
N/A

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
:campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 09:35:00 AM »
Great stories so far guys....   :campfire:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
 In the second pic of your help arriving, Armstrong appears to be quite a bit wider than what we'd call a "crik" in my neck of the woods, or is that just the angle?  

That's actually the Brule river near the junction of the Armstrong. The Brule river is the Michigan/Wisconsin border and that's Wisconsin in the background. The buck was headed for the river but he ran out of blood about 100 yards from the river.

We loaded him in the canoe and the last picture was going back up the Armstrong.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
The snowstorm buck was actually the inspiration for the story poem  "The Ghost of Armstrong Creek"    :readit:

:bigsmyl:

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
This little section of pines is one of my favorite spots. And before any of my camp mates run their mouth, it's the WOOL that makes me look fat.   :bigsmyl:  

G. Fred Asbell

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
Ya Roger it must be the wool...unhuh, yep it's the wool...   :rolleyes:

:laughing:

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2013, 10:45:00 AM »
Just stay away from that last hunk of pie    ;)

And Lord help the fell that gets in fron of Ron when Greg hollers "Lets Eat"   :scared:  

G. Fred Asbell

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
Great stories, thanks for sharing!    :campfire:
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"