3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Att: Shrew Haven hunters  (Read 735 times)

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Att: Shrew Haven hunters
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing the great story Ron.  Brings back memories of hunts on the Ford river back in the 70's.  The Ford is about 25 miles east of the Armstrong creek.
habujohn

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
Ron that started the Thanksgiving morning out right. Have a great day!

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
Thanks Ron, that's cool to read the storie behind the poem. Have a great Thanksgiving.
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
Great stories and memories. Thanks for sharing!!
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
Great story and pictures Ron.  Thanks for sharing

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »
:campfire:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
Love the picture of the dinner line Roger. There's a couple of stories in that picture alone.  

First, you can see the crutches leaning up against the counter top on the right.  In the Shrewhaven TV show on the other thread, Tim mentioned that he came up and hunted on crutches one year.  Well, that was the year and I was one of the happiest dudes in camp to help track and drag a deer that Tim shot out of a tent blind down in the pines off the big hayfield (it was easy access for him-flat and a two track trail). Tim was also very excited as he thought there was no way he could ever come to camp on crutches.  One of my first years in camp, I was one week off of crutches myself and my ankle was still super tender so I bought a big pair of insulated pack boots that had extra room to fit my swollen ankle in and I limped around the woods that year.  

Second, the dinner being served in the picture is leg of lamb (and twiced baked potatoes with a side of greek dressing marinated cukes and tomatoes).  Well, one of the two cooking debates is do you serve mint jelly with lamb and do you flour your venison loin medallions before sautéing them?  Greg is of greek decent and a Culinary Institute of America (the good CIA) trained chef.  Put those two together and that guy knows lamb.  Our lamb is marinated in a mixture of red wine, olive oil, fresh garlic, oregano and rosemary along with fresh squeezed lemon juice.  It comes off the grill rare/medium rare and melts in your mouth.  Now why anyone would want to mess up those fabulous flavors with mint jelly is beyond my thought process, but alas, you can see a jar of mint jelly in the picture.      :eek:        :p        ;)     We're not going to even go down that road about flouring venison loin medallions, otherwise there might be a thread started titled 'new Shrewhaven Lodge member needed' here on Tradgang.      :scared:

p.s. I think even the Yoopers (locals of the upper peninsula of Michigan) don't use mint jelly on their lamb, because they don't sell it locally.    :laughing:
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2013, 12:24:00 PM »
Thanks so much for sharing the stories and pics of Shrewhaven Lodge!  I really enjoy the place through your tales!  The spirit of Shrewhaven shines right through!
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2013, 01:23:00 PM »
In deer camp at ShrewHaven my nick name is Lobo. Lobo LaClair kind of flows don't you think?
Anyway a few yeas ago the boys built a small cabin separate from the main cabin. One half is a big storage roon and the other half which is 10X12' is my sleeping quarters. A large comfortable bunk assures a good nights rest, it's heated by a propane gas wall heater. I have gas lights but also it's wired to my outside generator so I can brew coffee in the morning.

I love my little getaway. I can turn in early and be away from the noise of some of the younger gus that want to stay up later.

This is Lil'Haven

I had this sign made to go over the door to my Lair

Here's the entrance to the Lair

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »
You guys REALLY need to put a book together. I'm sure you've heard that before but it would be a shame if those pictures and memories could not be shared with those who would deeply appreciate them.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
Ron that's a neat little get away . Betcha that is mighty comfy after hunting all day!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
Roger,

It's not the wool, it's the solid color.  Plaid makes one look slimmer!!!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2013, 12:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by SELFBOW19953:
Roger,

It's not the wool, it's the solid color.  Plaid makes one look slimmer!!!!
It might be the pie....   :D
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
Keep them coming fellas..... great thread and memories being shared with us. The great Northern deer camp traditions that we just don't seem to have that much of down South.

Ron...... ya gotta ditch that white door on " Lobo's Lair" Be a nice summer 2104 project for the young bucks..... You need a proper rustic door with some character to it.....  :saywhat:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
up next on the workbee will be grading a little around the cabin. Updating the shooting range. Taking down a few aspen trees that are leaning towards the cabin.  Removing the old outhouse. And finally, we may hand drive a well.

Offline Jack Rehacek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
Good Luck hand driving a well in that rock they call the ground up there.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
Lets put the well a ways from the old out house hole.    :scared:
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 06:25:00 AM »
A pic heavy book is a very good idea, except for the work involved. Would be quite a read, though...

Oh that "fat wool"... I HATE the fat wool.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roger Norris:
Lets put the well a ways from the old out house hole.     :scared:  
Heck Roger, that's right where it's going. I figure it's half way started already.     ;)   Ron dug that outhouse hole while us younger bucks were putting the metal roof on the cabin and it darn near did him in back in 2000.  I think he'd find some dynamite if he had to do it all over again.  My hunch is we'll cover that site up and put a hazardous waste marker over it.     :scared:

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
I hear ya Jimmy about that white door, I don't like it either, but it's a good solid air tight door. I'm thinkin about painting it. If I could find a good artist I'd have them paint it like the entrance to a wolf's den..     :)  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©