3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New to Traditional, longbow questions  (Read 268 times)

Offline Dannys

• Trad Bowhunter
New to Traditional, longbow questions
« on: November 27, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
Im looking to buy a 50lb longbow around 60" thinking the shorter the better being that I'm going to be hunting out of treestands. I'm wanting one for under $350. Can any of you point me in the right direction?

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New to Traditional, longbow questions
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
bear montana is one longbow that comes to mind in that price range. im sure there are others. i think the length is 64". might be longer then you want. whats your draw lenght? shorter is not always better.
Kevin Day

Offline Dannys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
I shoot 28" Iv looked at those montanas seemed to be good bows just don't like the colors.

Online dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
You can keep your eye open for one of Great Northern bows. Used ones come up for sale. They usually  go in your price range. Another one is Thunder stick made by Jim Reynolds.

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
If you watch the classifieds, you can find lots of nice longbows in that price range.

Bisch

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
Indeed, the classifieds are a great place, you just need to be a little patient.
Jim

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
Shorter is not always better. Especially in Longbows! You can get a hybrid [combo of a recurve and longbow] in a shorter length. A D Shaped when strung longbow in say a 28" draw length 62" or 64"is perfect. Always when thinking of ordering or buying a bow find out the recommended length for your draw recommended by the bowyer! Start looking in the classifieds though.

Offline Nattybumppo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
I've shot up to 66" bows out of my treestands. I hunt Summit Vipers and Goliaths. No issues for me.

Classifieds are the best way to go for your price range too.

But be careful on the length. IMO short long bows start to get too erratic for me and also pinch a lot.
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
Check with Mike from Mad dog...he is a sponsor here

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
I am fond of longer bows. They seem to draw more smoothly. Mine are 68" long and work just fine in an elevated stand. You do have to sit a little sideways and pay close attention  to your lower limb, but it becomes second nature. Good luck.
Sam

Offline cobullelk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
I have two 62" take-down Pronghorn longbows that I like.  You'll need to decide what best fits / shoots for you.  Somewhat depends upon; draw length, your height, etc.  In my opinion, shorter is not necessarily better for longbows.  Longer bow may give you better arrow cast, smoothness of draw, etc.  (Compound bow lengths have trended to shorter is better, not necessarily true for traditional.

Offline Stix

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
Greatree Vendetta. 60". No stacking at my draw (28"). I've owned many custom and this outshoots them all. A working-mans bow. Finish is not as great as a high dollar custom, but who wants to take something that looks like high end furniture out in the field with them. The looks don't bring home the bacon, the performance does.   $190 @ andoverarchery.com. You have to call them, they're not advertised on the website, but they advertise them on ehay. Good folks to deal with.
Stix

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
I prefer the 64-66" longbows and don't have any problems out of a treestand  You just have to be aware of the surroundings
Lots of good bows on classifieds. I have a great Mohawk on there right now that needs a home
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
The finest longbows I've shot have been Crow Creek Black Feathers by Elmer Patton and Stewart Slammers by Leon Stewart.  A 62" Black Feather in your draw weight would be the cat's meow!

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©