3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow weight question  (Read 248 times)

Offline JBridegroom22

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow weight question
« on: November 28, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
I have mostly shot carbon arrows but recently I have gotten into shooting wood. I got a test kit and found the arrows that flew the best for me. I ordered my first set of custom shafts but I didn't think about having them made in a specific weight range ( I didn't have a scale until last night) So my question is do wood arrows react much to weight change in the shafts? I weighed the two arrows I had from the test kit and they were within a grain of eachother. I hope I don't have much trouble getting my new arrows to fly. Thanks in advance.
Josh

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow weight question
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 11:05:00 AM »
In my experience, it takes quite a bit of shaft weight to make much of a difference.  It's not like changing point weight.  Within a single species of wood I find it to be irrelevant.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
Wood arrows will vary both in spine and in weight.  The spine differences will affect mostly your left/right point of impact, while the weight differences will affect mostly your up/down point of impact.  I like to keep mine within 5# of spine and 10 grains of weight. Within those tolerances, I'm pretty sure any misses of more than a couple of inches are because of something I did and not the arrow's fault.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Surewood Steve

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
We have found that people who do mostly target shooting like lighter mass weight and hunters like weights that are a bit heavier.  This is just a rule of thumb.  As stated in past threads we feel that spine weight is much more important than mass weight.   In mass weight, just try to keep all your arrows within about 20 or 30 grains of each other, where spine should be 4 or 5# of each other.  Steve
"If you don't shoot wood arrows out of your Trad bow it is like taking your split bamboo fly rod and fishing with worms and a bobber."

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »
Hi Josh, they will be very close to those.  I am confident you will find them to your liking. Anytime you vary 10grs or less you won't notice a difference.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
If Snag made up your arrows, you don't have to worry a bit about quality and consistency.

Offline JBridegroom22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
I knew I didn't have to worry about quality and consistency coming from David. I was just curious if they were 20 30 grains different than my test arrows would I experience different arrow flight. I'm not sure how much shafts varry in weight that are the same spine. I've said it before but I never knew natural shafts with white feathers could look so good. I am deffinately looking forward to shooting woodies. Thanks for your input guys.
Josh

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©