3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Spot/stalk bear hunt BC booked - Hunt underway!  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
Spot/stalk bear hunt BC booked - Hunt underway!
« on: November 28, 2013, 05:20:00 PM »
G'day guys,

Well for years now I have always found myself dreaming of stalking a bear with my longbow surrounded the lush green views of BC or some other far off land in the Rockies.

Well after some homework I made contact with Jeff Lander of Primitive Outfitting in BC, Canada and paid up my deposit. Jeff came highly recommended as he is good mates with Don and Lori Thomas and is also a traditional bowhunter himself.

I am booked in to hunt the rut mid next year ( I will check my dates again but I think its July ) for seven days and the backward and forwarding of emails between Jeff and I it seems we are on the same wave length when it comes to hunting hard and long for not only a quality bear but an adventure as well.

I am just wanting to quiz the season bear hunters as to and tips and tricks so I can be prepared as much as I can for the hunt.

Cheers guys,

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spot/stalk bear hunt BC booked - Hunt underway!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
Good luck Al
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
Good luck Al. Where in BC will you be hunting??
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
Good luck.  

I'm not just a little bit jealous.

Remember, before you shoot, tie your guides' shoe laces together so you can for sure outrun him if needed.

ChuckC

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
There is a tendency in your situation to second guess yourself...do not let that creep in...very simply do exactly what Jeff tells you to do...none of us here know his bears the way he does...he will get you the shot...put your energy into ensuring that you can make it under pressure

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Bowmag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »
DEET and netting, especially for a hat/hood. I hunted BC in May and the flies and mosquitos were unbelievable.
Colburn

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 10:59:00 PM »
Best of luck. It sounds like a great hunt.

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 11:00:00 PM »
Sounds like fun Al.

The only point I would make is that some folks find it difficult to pick a spot on them. Not sure what it is, the color, hair....not sure. My suggestion is to  put some black material over their targets and practice shooting with no spots. Get used to picking a spot on the flat black.

You'll have a blast.

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 01:52:00 AM »
I'm not a seasoned bear hunter but I will wish you best of luck! Sounds like a neat hunt to me.

Bisch

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 06:00:00 AM »
Thanks guys.... As far as I know I'll be hunting north some what of Prince George...

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 06:10:00 AM »
Goodluck to you get after em it will be a blast i also will be taking my first journey next yr to manitoba for archery bear june 1st and cant wait!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 06:21:00 AM »
Congrats and good luck, that will be a great Hunt!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 06:42:00 AM »
I did that style hunt with jim shockey a few years ago. This was on Vancouver island. Saw 80+ bear in 3 days. Awesome!!  My guide challenged the bear by growling and putting on a display while wearing black and the bears came right to us. I shot a 465# bear and still one of my favorite stories!!  Trust your guide is the key.  We did not have bugs. Best equipment was good glass bino and spotter.

If you have questions let me know.
Mike
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »
I've hunted with Jeff twice and just love the area. Lots of bears both black and griz plus moose, elk, deer and wolf. I fly into Calgary and do the drive to Sinclair Mill, just a beautiful drive.  This past spring my son gun killed a 7 foot bear and the other guys in camp all killed bears 6'8" or bigger with guns. I killed  6' with my long bow. PM me if you have questions.
CJ
lll

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
That sounds like a very cool hunt that many of us would love to do.  Best of luck, shoot straight.
habujohn

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
Al, check your dates? July is not time to hunt bears??? Not to rain on your parade but if your getting booked for July I would reconsider and come another year when you can do it at right time - May is month you want to be there maybe early June at latest - July no. Long way to come for bear with lousy summer coat and bugs that will eat you quicker than bears! I always hunted bears in BC last week of May at latest. Don't want to see someone just booking you for hell of it, Mate - you deserve better.
hunt it

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 02:08:00 PM »
Good luck Al, it sounds like a really great hunt. Bear hunting for us in Europe sound very " exotic"    :thumbsup:  
A dream hunt for me as well
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
Hi again Folks, yes you are right David… I just checked my dates and its the first week of June…not July. I knew it was one of those 'J' months…lol.

At this stage I plan to fly into Calgary, hire a car three days before and take my time driving north through the Rockies (Not sure how to hire a car in BC or whats needed so I'll have to look into that side of things?)

Like Africa, I'll be listening to my guide/PH all the time and taking his word for it whenever and whatever we are doing. Local knowledge holds more weight then what I could ever read in a book or online. Jeff has come highly recommended too…

ak.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »
Lots of traditional bowhunters in the Calgary area...I live about 2 hours north of there and am a member of the Calgary based Rocky Mountain Longbow Association...great group to hang out with so I make the trip two or three times each winter to shoot 3D targets indoors with them...I will check this winter to see if there is anyone in the group with connections for renting a vehicle...you will see some breathtaking country between Calgary and Prince George...keep in touch and maybe we can meet when you are here

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
Fixed a double post

DDave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©