3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Spot/stalk bear hunt BC booked - Hunt underway!  (Read 2333 times)

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spot/stalk bear hunt BC booked - Hunt underway!
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »
Crap coffee indeed, Al you don't owe us anything we're Canadians and it's just how we behave.  It was great having you around for a couple of days and if you want to come back for more gophers just let us know.  In the meantime I gotta go and make a coffee   ;)

Offline adamgti

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2014, 12:46:00 AM »
The area you hunted holds Mountain Caribou. In Alberta we call them Woodland Caribou. Very cool animals. I'm my opinion they're one of the most athletic animals I have ever witnessed.

I haven't had a Tims in the last little while without remembering your distain. Thanks for lighting an international hunting fire under me man. Right after you left I planned 2 foreign hunts and can't wait.

Now back to the story.
Quartermoon 62" r/d longbow 53# @ 29"

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »
So the first day was wet and we did not see any bears worthy of a stalk, from all accounts bears don't like the rain on their faces either... Strange huh.

During the season Jeffs hunters have taken some really nice bears and all over the 6' mark with some bangers well over the 6'7" ( both rifle and Bowhunters ). We were aware that the rut was falling over a full moon period this year and we hoped it would not affect bear movements like it does deer.

We spent the next few days hitting the logging roads and the open fields, seeking out a good bruin to put a stalk in on but it seemed the bears were not moving as much as was expected and we hunted hard everyday in order to get me in the same location of a good bear.

Here is Jeff's truck. I told him it called for a line from the movie 'Jaws'.... "Jeff mate, I think you need a bigger truck!"

As a side note for size comparison... I am 6'2" tall.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
On our second day I put in a stalk on a bear out in the middle of a field. He was not a massive bear but he was a real nice brown colour phase... Of which I was after and dreamed of dropping the string on a big colour phase bear on this hunt.

I gave Jeff my SLR camera and I slipped off into the timberline in order to get the wind correct. So it was shoes off, face mask up and game face on time...and Jeff followed.

I exited the timber rainforest with him insight and got down to belly crawl my way to within shooting range... The past few days of rain made for quiet stalking underfoot and I took full advantage of this. I made it to within about 25 yards when he stood up on his hind legs, raised his big head in the air and took a big nose full of the wind currents and I knew this gig was all but up. He dropped down, woofed and spun to make haste for the security of woods and that was that. I had a fleeting idea to take a running shot but held off as the woods are thick and make for poor tracking of bear who are not hit solid and true.

Jeff and his guides doing the hard yards on a bear shot whilst we were out that day...

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2014, 12:58:00 PM »
Jeff swears by the Camo line of ASAT. I too use it back home but this trip I am using the new Tusx camo line and it worked really well and is very well designed. At one point when out on a hunt Jeff was sitting well back in the treeline and I had troubles focusing on him as the ASAT sure did it's designed purpose.

Jeff also mentioned he had trouble picking me up as well so that's a big thumbs up for both ASAT and Tusx. Well thought out and designed camo clothing is a must when slipping in close to animals in the wilds of BC.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
Guys I just want to add in here now that 80% of my photos are still on my SLR camera and I won't be able to download them till I return home to Aussie ( I'm currently in the airport now waiting on my flight ) .... I only have my iPad on me and will need to download the rest of the pics to my Apple Mac.

For the next few days as mentioned, we hit the logging roads both on foot and by car to cover as much ground as possible. But it seemed the moon may have been having its affect on the rut and bear movements were not as expected and had Jeff and his guide Garry scratching their heads each day trying to come up with a suitable plan for me to close the deal and tag out.

A plan was hatched to walk a road down to where I put the stalk in on the colour phase brown. I was all smiles with this as I really wanted another crack at him again if given the chance. So... We walked our way down the road and glassed the open field where we last seen him but he must still have been sleeping someplace as he failed to show that day.

I had a look in an old abandoned cabin - there are heaps in the area due to the logging industry failing some time back and people just up and left in droves. Inside the cabin was everything needed to live and it had a big window that we could sit in front of and glass directly out into the field.

Being inside kept the bugs and Mosquitos well out of reach and I think they were trying to double tap me as I already have Malaria thanks to time spent on operations in Indonesia back when I was a recce grunt in the infantry. Man they sure are hungry!

With still plenty of daylight hours to spend glassing, I took a look about the cabin and found some coffee and sugar... Hmmmm I thought. I wonder if the stove works.... Yep! Bingo, time to make up some coffee!

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2014, 01:32:00 PM »
I'd also like to thank Adam on the cap... Mate that is one hell of a hunting/shooting hat and I'd make a killing selling them in Aussie !

So with the coffee made - yes, before you ask it was nice coffee...as I made it! - I took my seat at the window and just as I set down I noticed a big brown shape out in the field... Yep, typical... Make a chap and visitors turn up!

The coffee can wait I thought as I slipped on my shooting glove and edged our way out of the cabin to test the breeze. It was a favourable wind,heading straight from the bear to us but I did not hold much in its consistency as I've been told the wind currents are a fickle mistress in this part of the world.

He was feeding away from me which enabled me to slip into about 13 odd meters from him and he had no idea of my presence. He was sitting eating, then he'd get up... Feed some more and sit again and I would like to say I was all calm and collected, and to a certain amount I was... But being that close to an animal, a wild bear who can, if he wants to be a real problem for you he can be kinda had me a little on edge.

Before I knew it a shot presented itself and I drew, felt my anchor and dumped the sting. Now as it goes... We all know before the arrow leaves the riser it's either a good shot, on target... Or a miss. And sadly... Mine was a miss. I shot over him. I shot high, as I will always do when I fail to pick a spot... And that's exactly what I did... The oldest failing when shooting a bow and I succumbed to it and felt like a fool making a rookie mistake and mentally chided myself.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
The bear - as handsome as he was - took off to places unknown, to where bears live and left me standing there feeling dejected and downtrodden. He was such a nice looking bear and I was oh so close to zipping and arrow through him and making him mine forever... I hung my head and battled with the mental head games that followed when we blow shots like this.

I felt such a fool... Why, a week before I was shooting gofers out to 40 meters, smashing them through the head and chest to kill them outright so as not to loose them down their holes and I miss a bear at 13 meters.... Man, I think I qualify for the best blown Trad Gang shot for 2014 right there! Twit.

I was quiet when back at camp and after the nights rest and breakfast in the morning I'd put it all down to hunting with stick and sting and the importance of focusing when shooting and hunting. Jeff and I came up with a plan and that was for us to keep hunting that same bear as he had been seen in the same field now on and off for the season and I felt I owed it to him,  Jeff and myself to finish this thing I had started.

And that's how the rest of my hunt panned out... stalking to the filed via the logging road, waiting for him to show and waiting...

We'd see him each day but he must have known something was amiss as he would only come out for a quick look see and head back into the woods again, or... I see him from far off and by the time we got to within the range I last seen him he was no where to be found.

I can honestly say I left no stone unturned in my efforts and really put the time in for that specific animal... All to come up empty handed. A gamble that never paid off but I can live with that. The hunter not always wins when we hunt with out intended weapon of choice... And I am at peace with that and going home empty handed.

It just gives me an excuse to book with Jeff again next time...

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
Dang!!! Double Dang...I didn't want to hear that.  I can't tell you how many times I haven't picked a spot, I missed a moose, a whole dang moose at 15 yards once and yup you guessed it right over its back.  I won't say don't feel bad because that shot will haunt you for a longtime and you'll see the arrow flight every time you think about that shot.  But in the end it still makes for a good story and all you have to do is try again.  The thing with guided hunts is there's so much pressure to score sometimes we defeat ourselves.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2014, 12:49:00 AM »
Ah, that's tough, mate. But you have a great attitude about it. Better luck next time. You still hunted properly.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2014, 01:11:00 AM »
Sounds like you had a great time.  Have been following this and was hopeful for you, and still am for the next time.  :thumbsup:
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline J from Denmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2014, 03:46:00 AM »
No worries bro
that kinda stuff happens to even the best of shots once in  a while..
You will get one next time    :bigsmyl:    :)

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2014, 04:28:00 AM »
we have all blown shots that we consider chip shots, you're not alone there mate. some goals it seems, are destined to be hard to obtain. when you get one it'll be worth it!
great pics and story, looking forward to more.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
At least you didn't shoot it up the nose   :rolleyes:  like me Al. Jeff is a hell of a good guy and the area is about as pretty as it gets. Hard to beat that.

So what about the grizzlies?  I've seen a pile of them there and got up close to a few. Amazing animals.  What's your story with them?  Did you get to sneak up on any for a pic or two?
lll

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
Thanks guys for the kind words and yes, when I send and arrow through the lungs of nice bruin it'll be worth every minute spent in preparation...

As for the Grizzlys... They were about but never in the areas I was hunting. I did get some pics but they are on my SLR and as mentioned I won't be able to download them for a day or so. I'm currently in Sydney airport, heels up and enjoy a nice cup of Aussie tea!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2014, 11:40:00 AM »
It happens to the best of us...no worries brother!!

Sounds like an awesome hunt regardless of the outcome    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »
Great Hunting story, I look forward to your photos.  I think I would have a  hard time focusing being that close to a  bruin, on the same playing field.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
Well, I can certainly relate to this story (as ozzy clint can surely attest to.....hi Clint)!

I went all the way to Australia from Texas and managed to miss a couple goats.......AND A RED STAG!!!!! In my own defense though, I was on the bottom side of the world, and as so, was standing upside down, which was a stance I had not practiced beforehand!   :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    

It was still one of the best hunts I have ever been on! Thanks again Clint and Mick!

I'm sure you will get him next time, Al!

Bisch

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2014, 09:37:00 AM »
Great hunt Al! Sounds like a lot of fun!  Bummer about the outcome, but it gives you a better excuse to come back out.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »
Beautiful country.  Sorry to hear about the miss.  Better than NOT getting a shot at all.  You may have missed, but you WON!  You got close enough for the shot.  You just saved yourself a lot of work:)

Lets see pics of your bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©