3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Spot/stalk bear hunt BC booked - Hunt underway!  (Read 2337 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spot/stalk bear hunt BC booked - Hunt underway!
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
As I recall, Calgary is on the plains, not in the mountains, however, look west young man and you will see them.  They are calling.  If you have the time, it is not so long a drive to get into them and Banff National Park.  

It is beautiful country up there. I was there for work, in the winter months, and would LOVE the chance to return on my own terms.

ChuckC

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
Thanks Guys,

At this stage, my plan is to drive to Banff, onto Jasper and finish up at Prince George. I'd be happy to meet up with some fellow Trad bowhunters whilst there…

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
Sounds like a great time.  Like Hunt It, when your first post said July I thought that's late for the rut and the hide will be sparse and patchy.  The rut here is going well the first week in June.

I've done quite a bit of spot and stalk for them and it is a blast.  Listen to your guide of course.

As a general rule, if you're in an area with lots of bears, be choosy and pick which ones are better animals and in more stalkable spots, as you can burn a lot of time and energy on just one stalk.

I generally close the bulk of the distance real fast and then slow down when I get within 50-100 yards, depending on the terrain.

To state the obvious, if you can be in a position where the bear closes the final distance is best, i.e. get in front of them.  Also, sometimes you can wait until they go behind a ridge, boulder, etc then hustle the last bit to them.

Another general statement is to not hesitate.  The wind can change so quick and then they're gone.

If one does bust you, or you stalk to one and then can't find it, stick around.  More often than not they will re-emerge within a few minutes to an hour or so if they spooked, or they may be unaware of you but are temporarily out of sight.

Ask your guide what position you will likely be shooting from and practice accordingly.  I generally end up shooting from my knees, so I practice a lot like that.  I walk around the yard, and drop down without looking at the target, then raise up on my knees and shoot.  Quite often from your knees you get more of a 2-dimensional view of the animal, i.e. you see little or none of the ground between, so it's harder for your hair covered computer to gauge things.  So I practice that.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
Happy hunting!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Jorge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 05:28:00 AM »
I have been dreaming about a hunt with Jeff from time ago. His email, with the expectations of bears sights and the relation with the different weeks of the spring season was very nice. I would like to see the same info from all the outfitters. Enjoy

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 07:10:00 AM »
You've definitely got something to look forward to - Best wishes for a successful hunt!

It's still November but I'm already looking forward to and thinking about spring every day!

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »
I bears spot and stalk style in CA during the fall when the bears were on the piñon nuts.  I was amazed how close we could get as long as we played the wind.  Pretty exciting.  Good luck.
T ZZZZ

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
Thanks for the shooting tips chinook907... I always like to practice from different positions, more so from the kneeling position and I already had the thought I'd be looking at hunting and shooting a bear that way.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
Oh you bet.  Will you be hunting clearcuts along logging roads, on the beach, or new grass on avalanche shoots ?
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
As far as I know it'll be clear cuts and old logging roads.

Not sure of the weather that time of year in BC...

ak.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »
Good luck Al! Good to see you post. Hope life has returned to a bit of normal for ya!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
That's awesome brother, good for you!  Nice to see life going in the right direction again for you. Good luck!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
Thanks guys… its a few months off as yet but I'm sure the time will fly and before I know it ill be landing in Calgary!

ak

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2014, 07:26:00 PM »
Well guys... My flights are booked, been chatting to Jeff via emails toimg and froing about this hunt and the plan that we have.

Jeff already sounds pumped for the hunt and I'm getting all my ducks in a row to turn this dream hunt... This goal into a reality!

I'm still tossing up wether to shoot my BW longbow or my recurve... Not a bad problem to have one would think!

6 weeks and counting guys!

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2014, 11:16:00 PM »
Sounds like a great hunt.  The spot and stalk will be fantastic.

I know on the west coast of BC the first week of June is when people start getting more serious and more excited about bears.

It's warmer where you are headed so I'm assuming it will grass up faster than here on the island.

Offline timbermoose

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »
depending on the terrain, may i suggest taking a couple calls with you. i've used fawn distress call with good success when i couldn't get closer. also have used a cow moose call for a cover sound when in noisy areas.  good luck on your hunt, i'd love to get up to that area, but i hunt for the freezer and just can't convince my wife the cost effectiveness when i have so many bear within an hour or 2 of me. maybe i should move north.
Backwoods Archery 66" 54@30
coaster500 yew elb 67" 55@29 -trade bow 2013
Heartlandbows 60" 60@29 -trade bow 2014

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
Good luck Al and may your arrows fly true.
habujohn

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2014, 09:20:00 PM »
Good luck.  Planning is at least half the fun.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
I would refrain from using any calls in that area unless you want some excitement. First time I hunted with Jeff I crossed paths with 8 Grizzly. One big boar was about 5 minutes behind a cow moose with twins, nose to the ground and hot on their trail. Last year Jeff bumped a big Griz off a calf carcass about 50 yards off the road. That bear was rather unhappy. Besides Al, you'll see 20 to 30 bears a day if you are out driving around anyway.  There is NO shortage of bears around Sinclair Mills BC.
lll

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2014, 05:41:00 AM »
G'day again guys,

Well just a quick hello and a update on my hunt thus far...

I've made the long journey from my home in Mackay, Aussie to Calgary where I'm staying  a few days before my trip north to Prince George BC.

This far Tracy and Mark have been looking after me well and today we did some gofer hunting to dial in my shooting before the hunt...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©