3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: keeping your feet warm, is it possible?  (Read 1365 times)

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
keeping your feet warm, is it possible?
« on: November 29, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
I almost always hunt with my lacrosse rubber boots. Which i believe are 400 gram insulation. Which obviously is not much but I usually wear wool socks as well, and my feet are always the first part of me to get frozen on cold hunts. The thing that makes it the worst is that my feet sweat profusely in these boots no matter what socks I wear. I've even wore deodorant on my feet like Gene Wensel suggests in his book "Come November" and my feet are soaked and froze by the end of most hunts. I have also changed my socks on stand before and they still end up sweating in the end. I guess my question is there any way around buying new boots to keep my feet warm? If not does anyone have any suggestions for warm boots?

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: keeping your feet warm, is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
When it is really cold, like zero and below, this is what I wear.

http://www.muckbootcompany.com/product/Mens-Arctic-Sport-Extreme-conditions-sport-boot-ASP-000A/MWINTER

They will keep you warm.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
I struggled with cold feet for a long time. I finally got a pair of Cabelas 2000 grain thinsulate pac boots. I wear a pair of polypropylene and merino wool socks. My feet haven't been cold since.
I want a pair of Mucks like Centaur mentioned for water situations too.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
I lack good circulation in my feet...here's what I do:

FOCUS ON DRY FEET

I wear different shoes/boots while driving to hunt.  I won't put on my heavy socks until there.  I also carry another set of light cotton socks.

I change cotton socks before going in the field because sometimes my feet will sweat from the car heater.  

I often carry my wool socks and foot warmers to the stand.  Once in the stand and settled a bit I then put toe warmers on the bottom and top of my feet (on the cotton socks) and then the wool socks..

If you do all that before going out and have a decent walk you will sweat on the way then be cold within 30 min.  Wait until your in the stand and even let your feet air a bit and you'll stay warmer longer.

Once I figured out it was the sweat/wetness causing my issues I can now go for hours longer than I ever could before in the same boots.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Mamba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
I wear smart wool liners then wool socks.  I think the idea  for the liner is to pul the moisture away from your feet.  It helps.
peter Osimanti

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
I will not leave the house without my Arctic Shield boot blankets.  They make a little noise from the crinkling when putting them on, but after that they are quiet enough for me.

I have never worn a pair of boots with more than 500 grams of insulation since buying these boot blankets and I hunt NW Indiana.  

Seriously though, they are cheap, weigh next to nothing, and work for me.  That being said, my feet always seem colder in any kind of rubber boots so I don't wear them unless I have to wade water to get to my stand.  And if you need more warmth...just drop a warmer in there.
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 03:55:00 PM »
I wear a pair of military surplus "Mickey Mouse" boots with one pair of wool socks in them. The worst my feet get is cool. I don't use them until it is darn cold. They are designed to be warm even with wet feet. They are supposed to be so that they can be filled with ice water (like breaking through a frozen creek that's over your boots) and still warm back up. Obviously, you would need to be walking at least a ways to get them warmed back up rather than on stand, but sweaty feet don't seem to matter.

I have some 1000 gram rubber hunting boots that are fine into the 30s and even upper 20s. I also have a pair of 1200 gram pack boots that don't work any better than the rubber ones.

The black "Mickey Mouse" boots are rated to below zero. If you are in REALLY cold temps, get the white "bunny boots" that are rated to something like 40 below.

I'm like you. My feet are the first to get cold, then my hands. If I wear the mickies, my hands are first.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
If your feet sweat a lot, like mine, you need to stay away from cotton, especially next to the skin.  Try polypropylene liners next to the skin, then a wicking mid-weight sock, then wool socks. Make sure the boot isn't tight fitting.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
I use the same boots as Centaur, just make sure you buy them one size bigger than the boots you normally wear . I wear these with a heavy pair of socks when temps are around -20C.
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
I really like my Meindl insulated leather boots. I can't keep my feet from sweating in rubber boots. I just wear a heavy pair of wool socks in the Meindl's and stay cozy warm. I think I could probably be warm in any other leather, insulated boot, but I've had real good luck with the Meindls being waterproof so I stick with them. This is my 3rd pair in about 30 years.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
Antiperspirant... not deoderant, is what you need.

I can take a lot of cold, but at some point, I use felt pac's.  I hear that the Mickey Mouse boots are the thing, but I don't have any of those.  

So far, I haven't needed them.

ChuckC

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
Not sure if you can get them in the States but check out the Baffin Ice Bears on the Baffin website...that is what we wear here for working outdoors in temperatures to minus 40 or so

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
Lavalin for your feet and Mickey Mouse boots for me. It has to get down below 15 degrees for me to break out the Mickey Mouse boots. I just wear plain gold toe socks.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
Certi-dry spray on Anti-perspirant

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »
Mickey  mouse  boots  for  cold  weather,  make  sure  you  plug  an  inner  sole  in  them  so  air  can  get  around  the  bottom  of  your  feet.
Why  would  anyone  want  tho  wear  cotton  in  the winter ?
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline FAV 52

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 07:05:00 PM »
Another vote for the black [mickey mouse] boots !!! Never had cold feet when on stand in them and my feet still do sweat . one pair of wool socks and you should be good .

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
Bunny Boots !
This is a pic while brown bear hunting early last winter.  Was walking a stream with them over a pair of gore-tex waders.  It was some awful temperature that I can't remember, and my feet were the warmest part of me.

And yes I'm still looking for this guy or one like him !

I've broke thru ice near beaver lodges, etc way below zero, and just poured the boots out and kept going.  Great boots.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »
Thinsulate 600 grams or better or uninsulated rubber boots and hot mocs.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
Boot blankets work better than any boot I've worn.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
Get rid of the rubber boots! They do not breathe.
I had a pair of 400 gram Rockies retractions that worke great early to mid season . I bought a new pair of 400 gram rocky mud socks and I know what you mean about sweaty feet no matter what and cold righ off the bat great for mud and water I like the easy slip on and off but the coldest boot I ever owned.
I do have a pair of cabelas predators for the cold stuff polypropylene socks then wool and if its really cold I will add some chemical toe Warmers.
One solution I heard works good  in the snow is mukluks to your stand and once on stand boot blankets over the mukluks with a chemical foot warmer in each. The mukluks are really light so walking in the snow is quieter and a lot less work as opposed to a heavy PAC boot. The only bad thing about mukluks is they are no good in water or mud.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©