3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: keeping your feet warm, is it possible?  (Read 1366 times)

Offline basket-rack'89

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: keeping your feet warm, is it possible?
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
Another vote for the Mickey Mouse boots!  Use them for everything from ice fishing to tree stand hunting, and for $25.00 I couldn't find a better deal!

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »
Mickey Mouse boots aren't very high, be careful if you have to wade, you might get wet feet.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Online Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
I have a pair of KOM boot blankets for the scary cold days.

For regular cold....quality wool socks, a boot with about 600 grams thinsulate, and......a pair of old wool socks cut down like "footies". Slip them over your boots once you are on stand.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
I second Chinook907, but I use the black bunny boot, the beauty of them is they will still keep you warm even if your feet get wet.  I work construction year round to 20 below and my feet are the last thing to get cold, oh yeah wool socks with moisture wickers over top.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 02:19:00 AM »
another nice option is an old sleeping bag. keeps your feet warm and insulated all the way around and also keeps your lower body warm if you pull it up to your waist and use a rope as a belt. on really cold days you can pull it up over your shoulders and sit comfortably in extreme temps.
my favorite method for all day sits in northern Michigan Decembers.

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 08:12:00 AM »
Here is what I have used the past 6 years and my feet have been warm in -5 weather.  I wear a pair of rubber boots to get through the water I need to cross getting to my stand.  When I get to my stand, I take them off and put one inside the other to lock the scent inside the boot.  From there, I put on my stand boots.  They are a pair of Ice King liners that are 2 sizes bigger than my feet with a chemical toe warmer inside if is really cold.  The boot liners are inside a pair of Artic Shield Boot Blankets.  Total package weighs around a pound and I can put them in my pack to carry them.  I wear wool socks and if I am on stand for a long time, I can take them off and add a new toe warmer.  Trust me, it works.  My feet freeze when I am inside the house but the boot blanket with a liner works for me.

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
Arctic Shield covers.  Just wear any comfortable pair of boots to your stand slip these on.  A couple of chemical hand warmer packs will guarantee warm feet when really cold out.
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
I'm with Mr. Fingers, rubber boots are the worst for staying warm.  I like my leather Red Wings with Thinsulate and good wool socks.  If it's below freezing and I'll be out for more than an hour or two, one of the small chemical heaters inside my boots and on top of my toes feels mighty nice.  

For truly brutal conditions, the boots and chemical heat pads go inside a pair of Arctic Shield boot covers.  I've never had cold feet with that combo.

Offline usmc1029

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
Bought the artic shield covers this year. Very light. Easy to pack. And warm. Opening day of Wisconsin gun season found me in an exposed stand, 6 degrees out with 30 mph wind. Used the artic shield with a handwarmer stuffed in them and stayed pretty warm. Was wearing 1200 grain thinsulate boots.

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
I use a combination.   Schnee pack boots and wiggys slip on boot warmers.   I have hunted in 0 degree weather each season on stand with this system.  I wear silk liners and alpaca wool socks.  

i prefer Schnee or bean style boots over my rubber or muck style boots.  They all have rubber lowers to keep snow from wicking in but Schnees  have leather uppers that breath better.

I have hunted many seasons in Mickey Mouse boots as well but they are very rigid and heavy.  I have to hike a good distance to my stands and  prefer lighter more nimble boots.   The slip on warmers seem to be the strike the right balance.

Offline Hood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
Good info...

Thanks
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players.
Performers and portrayers, each another's audience.

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »
I don't know how you guys wayup there keep from freezing solid! Down here, those 400gram boots would be sweltering hot. It is nothing for me to be hunting in 80-90 dgree weather in December or January in S Tx where my lease is.

Bisch

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
My feet always get cold. I always hunt from a treestand, and I always used to stand up most of the time. I figured out that when I sit more it takes the pressure off my feet and they stay warmer longer.

I also so started to use the chemical handwarmer thingies that have stickum on 'em that sticks to your shirt,(they also make ones that are toe shaped and stick to your socks). Anyhow, take the 2 toewarmers that come in a pack and put one under each armpit, or one on your lower back and one on your bellybutton, Don't put em directly on your skin!! or use the bigger body sized ones for a longer burn time. Body core stays warm, feet stay warm, you won't believe it til you try. Wait until you get to your stand to put em on. Don't have to wear as much bulky clothing either.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
What Owl said!!!! I use "GRABBER" brand foot warmers ( or hand or toe warmers ). I've worn them in uninsulated shoes in below zero conditions and my feet felt like it was summer. Combined with some breathable shoes to allow the moisture out might be the ticket. Other than that, I would vote for the "bunny" boots and the right sock combo.
OH yea, they are biodegradable too.     :)  

JMHO

:)    

grabberworld.com
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »
Sounds like getting your feet to stay dry is going to be the big issue for you. I don't have a issue with that. But, 400 rubber will not do much in my experience. That is more like October weather boot for me. I have had a hard time with my feet since i was a kid. Electric socks were the only thing to really work in my pack boots back then. Those usually worked to good or died.

I have 1200s over sized with liner socks and good heavy wool socks. Good to freezing.  Chemical warmers on top of toes not under to get down on the mid 20's. Keeping your core warm helps. Even then, my feet get cold after about 3 hours on stands. Chemical warmers help but don't get as hot in rubber boots due to limited air.

I think it is real hard to keep feet warm in most rubber boots.  I have had some pack boots that have done no better though. One of these days I am getting some boot covers to try over my 1200 rubber lacrosse. When those boots are used up, I am going to something like Mojo posted for a change.

Most of the time I try and fill the freezer before the really cold stuff sets in. Then do some small game hunting where i can move around in the winter. Some of the biggest bucks show up in the late season and cold weather so worth being out if you can stand it.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
Also I put the warmers on my thin liners under my wool socks. I have found that not only is it more comfortable to have the warmers on top but it is also warmer for me. Not sure if it is more air or boot construction.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »
I have a pair of black and a pair of while Micky Moose Boots.  The best our there.  Just don't wear too much sock with them  A line liner sock and mid weight wool sock.
T ZZZZ

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
sorel glaciers. Keeps my li'l piggies warm and comfy.
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
Not possible past age 60.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©