3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: whats pushing it with a 42lb treadway longbow and sbd string  (Read 3591 times)

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: whats pushing it with a 42lb treadway longbow and sbd string
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
mr. chambers this one is the first and only treadway I have ever owned lol, I have the video ready I'll post I when get wifi. as for the value of these bows they have about sky rocketed, hope he doesn't jack he prices up! lol

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by deadpool:
Guys ill get a chrono test video for you very soon maybe you can spot.something i cant, nonetheless, this bow is still outperforming my 50lb dryad
ok... let me get this straight. the bow design you posted weighs in at 42# and it is out shooting a dryad bow at 50# using the same arrow?  

Wrong.... Dryads bows are pretty high performance i pretty much guarantee your testing is skewed.

If you really want to know how fast it is send it to me and i'll test it accurately on a hooter shooter, through a chrono with a computer interface, on video if you like. We could throw in a little wager on the outcome if you like too.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
I'm not surprised if the 42# treadway bow outperforms the 50# dryad. Might not happen with another 42&50 bows but every trad bow is a little different, even from the same bowyer. I've had numerous bows from the same world class bowyer and some just perform better than others, virtually identical bows.

Trad bows made by hand (even CNC) will always have slight inconsistencies and variations

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
I feel as if you have taken this post to offense, I am not trying to bash dryad in any way, I love that bow, yes I am shooting the exact same arrow for both bows, no I will not ship you my bows. I posted these stats just to share what I have learned,not to brag about having the baddest bow in the woods sir.

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
also keep in mind the treadway is is way more r/d than my dryad

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
have you put the bows on a scale?

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
Actually no I havent thought about that

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2013, 12:16:00 AM »
the dryad might be a little under and the swamp might be a little up.  also are the arrows flying as well out of the dryad as the black swamp?

« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2013, 01:52:00 AM »
Its a bit funny how this thread has rolled. It started out with an honest question about what could be done with a high performance 42 pound bow.  It seems that most think the Dryad would be good enough for elk. It seems that some doubt the chrono readings. As I told a Tradgang sponcer when I was ordering a bow, and he confirmed that with one of his own observations of a Hoyt target bow. I have seen a lighter weight 42 pound Hoyt target bow shoot the same arrow faster than a 55 pound longbow at the same draw length. I would say go out on your next day off and fling a few long ones out in the open. See if they flight shoot the same difference as the chrono readings, watch the arrows fly to make sure that they are both flying equally well.  Regardless of all of the possiblities like arrows not flying as well out of the slower bow, or perhaps your draw being shorter with the heavy bow, or perhaps the bows are not marked properly, you will see for yourself. The longest shot wins. Now if you had a 50 pound Dryad and a 58 pound something else that shot slower than the Dryad, which is possible if it would be a hard wood Hill style longbow, but you were twice as accurate with this fictitious heavier longbow, most would say things like 'faster only means that you miss faster go with accuracy first'. I once crossed paths with a friendly fellow that was hunting with one of those solid fiberglass Pearson kid bows, a 35 pounder, with Bodkin broadheads. I was thinking that I should say something, but I did not. when I got back to my van he was waiting for me. He shot a very large buck and didn't know what to do because it ran off with his arrow. He got both lungs and a far side rib stopped his arrow. The deer went down in about 100 yards. His broaheads were barely sharpened by most standards. I did tell him that next time that he should get his heads sharper.  I did not feel getting into an arguement about his kiddy bow was going to have much traction at that time.  The next year he had a 40 pound Bear Grizzly.

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2013, 05:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by deadpool:
also keep in mind the treadway is is way more r/d than my dryad
Which Dryad bow and which Treadway bow did you compare with?
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Stephengiles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
Go with your gut and stay legal. I've never killed an elk but if those numbers are correct, that bows as good as my 55# kodiak magnum at a 27" draw. I don't think people would question that. I shoot higher poundage because I buy cheaper bows. My k mag shoots faster than my 60# samick. People wound them with 70 # compounds every year.if you doubt your setup go bigger, you already know if it's enough or not. Now if your using an outfitter they may not let you use it..just a thought.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
Im just happy for deadpool that he has a bow he loves and shoots good and i really dont see how it could be anything other than that . Deadpool you take that bow hunting for anything legal to hunt and enjoy your special bow !
" Live long and prosper "

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »
Im just happy for deadpool that he has a bow he loves and shoots good and i really dont see how it could be anything other than that . Deadpool you take that bow hunting for anything legal to hunt and enjoy your special bow !
" Live long and prosper "

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »
All these wild claims and you haven't even weighed the bows?..... This is down right silly....  

Hey i'm happy you like your bow. But if i was the bowyer, i'd be unhappy with your comparison and question the test results.....

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
:confused:

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
deadpool don't worry about it. just keep posting what you find.  the rest of us should read and maybe learn something, we cant argue as we are not involved in the testing.  if some one wants to prove you wrong then they should put in some effort to do so.  Then post what they Know.
till then I for one am looking forward to hear what they weigh in at and see the crono vid.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2013, 07:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by jrchambers:
deadpool don't worry about it. just keep posting what you find.  the rest of us should read and maybe learn something, we cant argue as we are not involved in the testing.  if some one wants to prove you wrong then they should put in some effort to do so.  Then post what they Know.
till then I for one am looking forward to hear what they weigh in at and see the crono vid.
X2

Tread way is a well designed bow

:archer2:

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
I'll weigh in for what its worth...  I would NOT hunt elk with a 42# bow.

I have personally been a part of nearly two dozen bulls killed with bows.  Mostly trad bows.  

Of those, most turned out well, but some did not.  As Trumpkin said... these animals are not as numerous as deer and should be treated with the utmost respect.  The feeling of losing an elk is the lowest I have ever felt... I have seen it reduce tough men to tears.... Do you want to be that guy?

Elk are thick skinned, thick ribbed, big fast moving beasts.  To walk up on a dead mature bull is sight to behold. It will leave you in awe of there size.  When you commit to skinning, you will marvel at the thickness of their hide and hair.  

Regarding bow speeds....This has been argued ad nauseum in previous posts.  Those who chose to go in light... I feel that is asking for trouble.  
However, to each their own. Personnally I would not willfully choose to put myself in a position to wound such a great animal....  

As has been stated 400 times before....Shoot as MUCH bow as you can shoot accurately and leave it at that.  I don't believe there is such a thing as too MUCH penetration.

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2013, 02:54:00 PM »
Many seem hung up on the 42# draw weight. That is MEANINGLESS!! If his chrono numbers are accurate, THAT'S what matters.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2013, 12:13:00 AM »
If the chrono number of 174 fps  is correct, that's 37 ft.lbs. As much energy as a 60# hill longbow shooting a 10 gpp arrow.
Instinctive gapper.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©