3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone prefer fleece??  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone prefer fleece??
« on: November 29, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »
Over wool?   Why?  Thanks

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone prefer fleece??
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »
Yep...for the most part. I like wool undergarments like the Ulfrotte. But the jackets, pants and facemasks are better in fleece, IMO. More options in the marketplace, varied prices usually fleece is cheaper, easier to care for, layer right and you are just as warm or warmer with less bulk and weight, much quieter most of the time, seems to last for ever, is color fast, easy to "customize", more camo patterns to choose from.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
Fleece for me. I'm allergic to wool.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
I owned a large amount of KOM and Sleeping Indian wool. I wore it on many hunts, and the truth is that I was very underwhelmed by its performance in wind. The weight , the propensity to hold water and odors...I finally made the shift to quality fleece and other synthetics. I've worn fllece and other synthetics for many years and many wilderness hunts. It packs lighter. It dries faster. It layers nicely. I'm just as warm. My outer layers smell better after several days.

Wool is very traditional and functional. I find fleece and synthetics to work better for me. I now own almost no wool.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
I've been looking at some fleece with windstopper all day.I handle the cold pretty good til the wind starts whipping. Going to order some bibs and give it a try.

I've got some KOM wool but it's heavy and I have so many burrs where I hunt I have to pack it to my stand. Might have to pack in the fleece also but I'm sure it's lighter.

bretto

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
Who makes some of the better fleece garments?

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
My base layer is wool wherever I hunt, most synthetics hold the stink more than wool. For the most part, wool for treestand hunting. Synthetics where weight is a concern when packing into the mountains and most active hunts, with one major exception, chasing kitties.  Most often, a combination of both wool and synthetics will be found on me when hunting.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
I have all fleece outer garments. The cabelas fleece with windstopper is amazing and has lasted me close to 13 years so far.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
Fleece with a windshear liner is the bomb. Day one and Predator are top notch.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
I've been a wool guy for 20 years. And I still am. But I was talked into buying a Sitka Fanatic jacket. I still wear wool as my base layer but like was mentioned, wool is not great at blocking wind for the inactive treestand hunter. This Sitka fanatic is simply the warmest and lightest thing I have ever worn. You still will want your wool insulation under it (I use wool power) but for an outer layer in cold weather this stuff is great. However, I still think these synthetics have their place and are not a "one size fits all" solution. For one thing, there is no way these synthetics will be as durable as wool. So if I'm going to be hiking/scouting or hanging treestands I'm still gonna wear my wool outer layers. Wool is still the best at regulating temperature for active/semi-active periods and it's going to be more durable. But if I'm going to sit in a tree for days with a cold November wind I'm grabbing the Sitka coat for my outer layer to block the wind with my wool underneath for quality insulation and moisture wicking ability. So I have learned that it can pay to mix and match. Synthetics mixed with good old fashioned wool can be a great option for the cold weather treestand hunter.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
I like fleece as a 2nd  layer over my long johns  as long as I know for sure its going to be dry out and I won't be jumping over any creeks. instant warmth,,,, has anyone ever slept between a fleece bed spread and fleece sheet that's what sold me.

I am a wool fan 1st but fleece has its place with my hunting clothes.
"Us vs Them"

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
Read all the above and  then read it again. Wool is great as it keeps you warm when it's wet. Other than that well lets just leave it at that. There is  tons of better fabric out there for bowhunters and fleece is just one of them. Wool does not stop wind period. It's got a huge following in the traditional world because it's traditional not because it's the best. INMHO.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 01:35:00 AM »
Cabelas Legacy fleece with windstopper keeps me warm even in heavy winds. It's light weight and not to bulky. My Legacy fleece is also quiet. I haven't wore much wool but what I have itched me bad.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 07:20:00 AM »
I prefer Cabelas Berber fleece. Very quiet and great for stopping the wind.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 07:29:00 AM »
I use Cabelas revolution fleece with dry plus over layers of polypropylene underwear. Silk weight against my skin with the thicker stuff on top.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
I use both.  Only merino wool for base and mid-layers and have both wool and fleece outer layers.  My most used and favorite outer layers are a Cabelas Outfitter fleece jacket and a set of Cabelas Outfitter wool bibs.  Both are almost impervious to wind and have held up well for several years.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
Predator fleece has TWO layers of their windstop product- AND it is dead quiet!  Not sure how they do it, but most other windstop products make noise.  

Agree with concerns on wool.  I have some nice stuff but it is heavy- and the water concept has been with us for years- but do you know how much wet wool weighs??  Good grief.  Besides- fleece really does not hold much water and dries out quickly.  I find carrying in a fleece over-pants (I use 3XL for my XL size) are lightwt and perfect for a long stand sit.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline choochoou

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 08:46:00 AM »
Cabelas legacy fleece with windstoper for me .price ,durability ,weight, quiet and most of all no itch!
It's all fun and games, until someone gets hurt...then its hilarious!

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bill Carlsen:
Yep...for the most part. I like wool undergarments like the Ulfrotte. But the jackets, pants and facemasks are better in fleece, IMO. More options in the marketplace, varied prices usually fleece is cheaper, easier to care for, layer right and you are just as warm or warmer with less bulk and weight, much quieter most of the time, seems to last for ever, is color fast, easy to "customize", more camo patterns to choose from.
This is my option wool is usually the second layer for me.  Luckily in Texas I don't have to worry about keeping warm in frigid temps much.      :thumbsup:        :campfire:        :archer2:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 06:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by LC:
Wool does not stop wind period. It's got a huge following in the traditional world because it's traditional not because it's the best. INMHO.
100% correct the wind will eventually find its way through traditional (original) wool garments (woolrich, pendleton, codet, filson).  I agree that it has alot to do with the traditional part but I think its also colors where the alternative to these new camos that look like wallpaper or a picture of some tree plaids  seem to work pretty well..  fleece in traditional earth tone plaids or vintage camo patterns I'd be all over it!!
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©