3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletch-Tite Platinum Reformulated  (Read 853 times)

Offline Outrigger

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletch-Tite Platinum Reformulated
« on: November 29, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
Several weeks ago I contacted Bohning Archery to express my dissatisfaction that the original Fletch-Tite adhesive had been discontinued. I was unhappy because I use aluminum shafts for some of my bows, and I found that Fletch-Tite Platinum did not adhere to aluminum as well as the old formula. Bohning replied to me that Fletch-Tite Platinum had been reformulated to better adhere to aluminum shafts, and they sent me a tube to try. I have fletched several arrows with the new formula, and must say that it works well on both aluminum and carbon shafts with both feathers and vanes. This is a plus for me since I shoot both carbon and aluminum. It is also more economical than some of the other glues I have used, and I like the tube applicators. Thought some of you guys would like to know this.
Greg

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletch-Tite Platinum Reformulated
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 11:37:00 PM »
Too late. I've switched to something else for the rare times when I fletch on aluminum shaft.
Having one set of arrows come back to me with the feathers falling off was one too many.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Outrigger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 11:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Grey Taylor:
Too late. I've switched to something else for the rare times when I fletch on aluminum shaft.
Having one set of arrows come back to me with the feathers falling off was one too many.

Guy
Undoubtedly some others have made a switch. I was a little on edge myself when I contacted Bohning. Like you, I don't fletch a lot of aluminum arrows which is the very reason I like being able to use one adhesive for both carbon and aluminum. Virtually every type of glue I know of goes bad with time. Just tossed some polyurethane Gorilla glue today that had hardly been used.
Greg

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
I hope the new formula does not change how well it worked on carbons, because it did a GREAT job on them!

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 12:18:00 PM »
I do not know if my tube is the new or old but I just fletched a dozen Beman MAX 4 shafts with the Platinum and had a few feathers come off rather easily .. I have never had a problem like this before but this was the first time fletching Bemans and I have never had to clean a shaft either, maybe these needed a cleaning first ?
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 12:23:00 PM »
I lucked out and got into a stash of the old white tube stuff...there is still some around

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 12:24:00 PM »
bonebuster I have not had very good bond with the platinum on carbon unless I use a wrap.  I clean the shafts with Acetone and the feathers I give a little sanding and wipe with Acetone.  I switched to Carbonbond and it works better.  What do you do to prep when using Platinum?
habujohn

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
I went to fletch my carbons last week and they peeled off! I prepped them like I always did. My tube is about a month old. What do I use now?!

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
This is scaring me! I always use platinum and have never had any issues on my Gold Tips! I'll have to be watching them now, I guess.

Bisch

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
When Platinum first came out, there were quite a few posts on Tradgang expressing dissatisfaction with the way it was holding.  There were some other posts, including mine, whose experience was the opposite.  My experience has continued to be good with Platinum on carbons since then.  There have been times when I have shot an arrow into the brush and had the feathers rip off and the quill stay glued on.

I wish I knew what to tell people who are having trouble with it.  I have been through several tubes since the stuff came out, and haven't noticed any differences from tube to tube. I don't prep the surface of the carbon shaft; I just clamp the feather and glue it on.

I have had good results using it on all types of Easton aluminum shafts too, except for the blue Jazz shafts, which are their low end shafts that I use for the classes I teach. The first time I fletched up a bunch of arrows using Platinum on the Jazz shafts, the feathers all fell off like leaves falling from the trees in the fall. My students were running around picking them up off the ground.  I assume there must be some difference on the finish used on those shafts. After that, I have been sanding the Jazz shafts and wiping them with alcohol, and the feathers seem to stick okay.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
I just threw 3 tubes of the Fletch-Tite Platinum away.

I was having the same problem and a guy at a 3D shoot told me to use Loctite gel super glue. It works great and I have not had a feather come off since.

The only problem is it comes encased in Black and Blue plastic case and with my arthritis I have a hard time squeezing the glue out. So I started cutting the casing off so you can just squeeze the tube instead.
PBS  Member

Offline Timbuck2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »
That's good to hear that the new formula is working for ya.

I mostly use the Bohning fletching tape for feathers and aluminum shafts.

I have used and agree with bofish about the Loctite Gel.    :thumbsup:

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by habujohn:
[QB] bonebuster I have not had very good bond with the platinum on carbon unless I use a wrap.  

Bingo!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »
I've been using Duco on my GT's all year and haven't lost a single feather.  And it only costs $3.......

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
When they changed the formula it was terrible. Glad they upgraded it.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 11:46:00 PM »
3X on using wraps.

I had problems myself using the platinum on some arrows even though i used alcohol to clean them. I use wraps on everything now with no problems.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 07:40:00 AM »
I haven't fletched a 'naked' carbon or aluminum in many years. All of my shafts get a paint or clear fletch-lac crown dip. Fletch-Tite Platinum has worked perfectly for me. A crown-dipped shaft fletched using Platinum results in feathers bonded so strongly I can't get them to come loose without using a blade. I've never had a loose fletch.

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »
X2 what Kevin said

Offline Outrigger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
I am attaching a link to a photo I took of the old and new tubes. The difference is subtle, but different all the same. The first tube is what I previously had on hand. The tube on the left is the new one that Bohning sent me.  Ironically, the old tube says it will work on aluminum and the new one does not mention aluminum. It would be good for Bohning to clarify the situation. Once more, I found the new formula definitely performed better for me on aluminum than the old formula, and just as good on carbon. Another advantage to this formula is that it is a little more fluid that the original (white tube) Fletch-Tite, making it easier to apply.

Greg

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 01:18:00 AM »
Outrigger...

Did you get confused on which was which?  Your picture contradicts what you said just a little  ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©