3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly Single Bevel ?  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Mountain State Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Grizzly Single Bevel ?
« on: November 30, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
Hey guys...just wanting some of your guys opinions on Grizzly Single Bevels.  I've always shot Zwickey and Woodsmen 125gr.  I like Zwickey a lot, but would like to try a Single Bevel in hopes of more penetration on bone.  Also wondering if I could go any heavier than a 125gr from 50-55# bow?  Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
AJ

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Grizzly Single Bevel ?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
Probably would be wise to go heavier than 125 grains if you still get good arrow flight.  Zwickey and Woodsmens are good heads.  Tough to beat.  Not much to be gained, IMO.  

I've shot and still hunt with some single bevels.  Because the blade angle/bevel is more acute, it is possible to get them a little sharper than double bevels or 3-blade heads, but any will do the job if put in the right place, and even sometimes when they aren't. I think high weight forward and a skinny shaft on a well tuned arrow will do as much or more to increase penetration as a single bevel head.

But, if you have the itch, might as well scratch it and come to your own conclusions. Good luck.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
You don't say what shaft material you are using, but with carbon shafts I am shooting 225 to 275 grains up front, depending on the bow. I use either a 50 or 100 grain brass adapter and a 175 grain broadhead.

On woodies, I've used the 160 grain Grizzly El Grande. They fly great, but I have not had an opportunity to test them on game yet. I like all the weight I can get on the front of the arrow for better penetration and arrow flight.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
You can get the new grizzlies quite sharp and if you increase arrow spine accordingly you can certainly shoot the heavier heads. Also, not shooting into bone is a good idea even with heavy single bevels.

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
Excellent arrow flight and the easiest to sharpen broad head I have ever used.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
grizzly vrs woodsmen vrs grizzly vrs woodsmen...
I make myself crazy trying to decide.  or maybe magnus 4s....
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Online jeffg

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »
I really don't believe it makes much difference weather it is single bevel or standard bevel. other than a marketing ploy. An sharp edge is a sharp edge. SHOT placement is what is important.
66" Dave Miller Sage
64" Fox Triple crown
66" Nothern Mist American

Offline Mountain State Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
I realize shot placement is the key, however those shots aren't always perfect.  I lost a nice buck last week due to a shoulder blade hit.  I'd like to try and have a heavier arrow for instances like that.  Not sure what grain my arrows are, wish I did.  I just know they are your average cedars.  28 in long. 50-55 Spine

Thanks for the advice guys.  Anymore would be greatly appreciated.

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 12:59:00 PM »
I have them mounted on wood arrows if you want to swing by and check them out.
Bic

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
Jeff, While I respect your right to your own opinion. Dr. Ashby has done far to much research proving the effects of a single bevel.There for I must respond to your off handed claims of a marketing ploy. Dr. Ashby has done all of this research at his own expense with ZERO compensation.His research is offered only to help those who are interested understand the effects of various broadhead and arrow designs on both hard and soft tissue. If you are interested in reading Dr. Ashby's research it is available here on Tradgang. If you choose not to accept his research than so be it but it most definitely is not a marketing ploy.

For what its worth we all agree that shot placement and a sharp broadhead are priority one when it comes to quick clean kills.  

A.J. If you have any questions for me concerning Grizzly broadheads. I will be happy to answer them for you. I am going to be out of town for the next week but I will get back to you as soon as I return.
2014 is the 30th anniversary of Grizzly broadheads.

Bill

Online jeffg

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
It is not off handed. It is from my personal experience in the field. True life real live animals. With grizzles, bear, Magnus, and various 3 blade all with 8.5-10 grains per pound. I believe HH claimed that 3 to 1 ratio in length to width works best. And that holds true for me.
66" Dave Miller Sage
64" Fox Triple crown
66" Nothern Mist American

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
Great BHs that easily get razor sharp and stay sharp. They fly great and are easy to set up. They are very tough and of the highest quality for a reasonable price. I use 200gr K for 60 to 75# set-ups along with some ZD4s sometimes. It's nice to break down the far side shoulder on a good q-away shot for added damage and I like 2 holes better than one if possible.

Offline arrowbuster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
What's cool about the single bevels is the hole they make. It's a lot more than a regular 2 blade.
AH ACS CX 60" 53@28
PITTSLEY PREDATOR 60" 56@28
CASCADE BRUSH HAWK 56" 49@28

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »
The new grizzlies are great heads. Very durable and very easy to get sharp. I've never gotten another head as sharp as I can get these. The "S" shaped hole is obvious as well.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
My single bevel experience with the Grizzly heads has been nothing but fantastic!

I never could get a any other head I have used anywhere near as sharp as I can any of the three weights of these Grizzlies. I have taken 5 deer with them and one hog and the performance has been superb.

Also the Grizzly's have features packed into them that you will find in a head that cost twice as much.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
My last two deer have been with single bevel and I'm certain I would also have killed them with the Woodsman that I had used earlier however I love sharpening and touching up the single bevel. Once the back side of the bevel is perfectly flat touching them up is a joy and gives me something to do when I get bored on a hunt. The rotation of the blade however is something to see when it works through more dense material. Lung material maybe not so much to observe the effect, but I had a doe wheel around on a shot behind the shoulder and the broadhead actually came out the front of the deer carving almost a perfectly round whole that led to super blood loss.The physics behind the wing design is pretty cool stuff as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
There is really no question that the Grizzly/Kodiak broadheads are effective killers so I'll address the question of head weight.  The doe pictured below was taken with a Great Northern Critter Gitter drawing 50 lb at my 26" draw and shooting a 200 gr Kodiak mounted on the end of a fir arrow.  Total arrow weight was about 580 gr.  The shot was a little past quartering away, entering behind the last rib and getting liver and one lung before stopping in the far shoulder.  She took it to the fletch and made it maybe 60 yards if that.  

I shoot several different broadheads and have been very impressed with the performance of 200 grain heads and high FOC's.  You will have to up your spine about 10 lbs and do some tuning, just like with any other setup.  Try them and I believe you will like them.

Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
Scientific experiments vs anecdotal one-offs. No matter how many blades and designs, I've never seen better results with any head than a griz.  I've been confused following blood trails because there was simply too much blood, a sprinkler effect with them. I've shot a ton of deer and never seen such results with another head. 2, 3 or 4 blade.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2013, 12:12:00 AM »
I don't think you can beat the single bevel Grizzly. The design work very nice with both low and high poundage bows.

Offline BearCrkBandit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2013, 02:10:00 AM »
The performance of the Grizzlies blows away any other broadhead I've used, I've killed moose, black bears, a grizzly bear, and the other day, this Sitka blacktail. 16 yards, quartering to, slightly downhill, with a 45# bow. chopped through his shoulder blade, the bone spurs along the spine, cut 3 ribs, and got 16" initial penetration. they aren't huge deer by any means, but 16 inches...and through a lot of bone. he only made it 75 yards, and after breaking the arrow, the point was near his pelvis. hard to argue with that.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©