3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thanksgiving buck...a long story.  (Read 2983 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thanksgiving buck...a long story.
« on: November 30, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
Wednesday last my wife and I had dinner at the Chinese restaurant in our little town (we only have 4 total eating spots so we rotate). My wife is a good sport, knows how much all of this means to me, and knows this year has been a struggle. First, the elk hunt of my dreams. Seven years to draw and a herd bull that still keeps me up at night that took an arrow to the shoulder. I lost that bull, and although he was back with his cows the next day limping I chose to notch my tag and go home. Not as a defeated hunter but it was my last day and all I could do is glass him in the spotting scope and think what could have been. Since that time I have struggled. My shooting digressed, I missed a whopper of a 4 year old buck and have had 7 different bucks that I wanted to kill in range only to be snakebit by laziness (not trimming a better lane), unwilling angles, and bad shooting on the one. So this Wednesday when the fortune cookies came my wife giggled and slid hers my way. She said "Here, I got yours. Kill a big buck already and quit whining!" We are people of faith. I pray, I believe. But when I looked at it I just laughed but kept that darn thing!

*Yep still got it!

So Thursday morning rolled around and I was beat up by whitetails. I went to my favorite turkey spot and just hunted fall birds. I nearly got it done too with my ghilli! I made it home for the family dinner: nieces, nephews, great food! It was awesome. At 2ish I give my wife "the look". You know it fellas, the look of willing obedience. The I will stay if you want but I really want to hunt look. No surprise, my wife grinned and I was outa there!

In the tree by 3 and buckled up with my favorite (and only) recurve. I had been hunting with my Talltines longbow, my bombproof hunt everything piece. Today I was feeling the old Bear 66 Kodiak I got from 1/4 Away from here. It is just a sweet shooting old bow:

*Lookin Purty

At 315 I heard footsteps. Our rut is winding down but we have a few cruisers. A not yet buck stops perfect. The 66 and I just watch:

*How bout this shot fellas?

As he leaves I look to the heavens and thank the Lord for that. I needed that. Seeing a buck on his feet in a set I just hung the week before makes me feel like I already succeeded. I like it when they do what they are supposed to do. That means this will be a keeper set. Hey you know it is early. I still have time for a big one to roll in. What is that, another buck, slight limp but on the trail this set is targeting. Yep, grab the bow. I like this one...
Mike Davenport

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thanksgiving buck...a long story.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 11:26:00 AM »
:campfire:

Offline StickSlinger74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
Oh boy oh boy! At work today....this is just what I needed!!! C'mon Mike!

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
Tuned in, Mike! Can't wait to see how this story ends!

Bisch

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
The buck gets through my lane before I can shoot. It is an awkward angle back behind me now. He stops and I decide it cant be done. As if he read my mind he does a 180 and begins to come back to the lane I needed. He takes a closer trail and will soon be at 12 yards but directly in my scent stream. I don't let him get there. I remember bearing down, picking a spot, something on the other buck I did not do. He stops at the right spot at the right time and I hear that hollow thump that we as bowmen crave to hear. I watch him go quickly at first, then across the creek I was using as one side of my funnel, then to a stop, then...down. Quietly.

I allow the tears to come. I wont lie. I am emotional. I am relieved. I am so thankful for the blessing. After this year, this guilt laden, what could have been year this is perfect!

I look at my watch and its 330. I call my wife from the tree to see if either kid wants to help. My son and two nieces are out the door before she could get coats enough for them. I know he is down and I know my 11 year old has wanted a blood trail this year to work on his own. He is a budding hunter. He craves to shoot and to hunt and to be like his dad. That is enough for me.

*My budding lefty

I go to meet them and to get the Ranger we have for hauling kids and farm chores more than getting whitetails out, but today it will do both. I allow  Seth to find the arrow and begin the trail:

*Perfect

I know where this trail leads but I let my son and his cousins sort it out. The two girls are intrigued and ask a million questions. Like a veteran of many trails Seth gives them mostly-right answers. I point out that the fingers of the trail tell us the direction of the animal. They take to the track pretty well:

*Bubbles, lots of bubbles.

At last Seth sees him, the girls too. I have a rule about animals I have shot. No one touches them until the person who has taken their life touches them. It is steadfast rule that I encourage my family and friends to honor. My son knows this but today I let my rule go. I nod with tears again as he finally gets his blood trail and his buck, and touches my deer.

*There he is
Mike Davenport

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »
SOOO Jacked for you Mike,,, Congrats! You're not making the "no tears in the firehall" rule easy. I'm welling!

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
Oh. Mike, that is a beautiful buck! Can't wait to see some more pics!

Bisch

Offline Shan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 11:54:00 AM »
Nice! Can't wait to see the close ups. thanks for the story
Semper Fidelis

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »
This is great! I think all of us go through the years you speak of and question so many things but all is right with the world today. Congrats! Looks like a beauty from here.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
Mike this is Awesome News!  Congrats, looking forward to tyhe pic with you and the trackers along with the bow given to you by your "Brother" Fred!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »
My wife is there with the kids and sees me emotional. She knows how tough this year has been. Something I love so much, that I think I am good at, has been a struggle. I never recovered from my elk hunt. It was the hardest thing I have been through as a hunter. This day took alot of that away! Having her there, surrounded by curious children on my own slice of heaven. This old buck is the first one I have taken off our dream property: a little 100 acre piece that we now call home. I have passed a ton of 2 1/2 year old deer to find one that is three. I am happy and soak up all I can in the moment with my family:

*In situ

We begin the field dressing chores with my son and wife helping and the nieces asking questions. I find a slug in his shoulder from last year. Combined with the rut this explains his rundown appearance. Surprisingly, he has no upper left lung. It is scarred down from the bullet wound. His pericardial sac is also scarred down to his left side. My arrow has taken out the left lower lobe of the lung and the right upper lobe on exit. What a tough bird this buck was: he survived last summers EHD, a bullet wound but not a sharp arrow from a traditional bow. After the work was finished we took some pics and just enjoyed the moment.

*Happy Family

We all took our turns dragging as it was a fair poke to the Ranger. I enjoyed watching the kids fight gravity and just held my wife's hand and smiled, realizing this moment is special. This may spur my nieces into becoming hunters and encourage my son more. It certainly blessed me.

I took up the last 1/8 mile while the kids carried the gear. It was the end of a great day. One of Thanksgiving, of family, and of joy for this bowhunter.

Mike Davenport

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
BEAUTIFUL!!

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
A fine buck and a finer story ... congrats Mike, great family adventure
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 12:15:00 PM »
That is just awesome Mike!

Congrats again, brother!

Bisch

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »
Mike, thank you for sharing and believing in yourself.  What a great day indeed that won't soon be forgotten.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
My equipment was a Bear Kodiak, 1966, 60 inches 50 pounds at 28. I draw to 30". My arrow was a Trad Only 340 with a 250gr Brown Bear Aboyer, total arrow weight 600 grains.

I broke him down today and got some great cuts for the family. For breakfast we had some great fried tenderlion and some jerky is already going!

*Breakfast

*Jerky time!

Thanks for reading my yarn. It means alot to share it with you guys and look forward to your stories as well!
Mike Davenport

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 12:24:00 PM »
Mike,  Your story is inspiring.  The pictures are a great touch. Thanks for sharing your Perfect day of thanks!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
"Thanks for reading my yarn. It means a lot to share it with you guys and look forward to your stories as well".....

No brother....THANK YOU!

So, so happy for you   :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
A great story with a happy ending. Congratulations!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©