3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Calling all tuning savvy folks...  (Read 634 times)

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
Calling all tuning savvy folks...
« on: November 30, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
So, I'm in a bit of a bind. I have a Red Stag I shoot that is 50# @ 28". I was running some Gold Tip Traditionals (5575) with 125 grain tips. I had left the arrows at their full length as it really helped work on my aiming. Well, I decided to bring them down to a more managable 29", this leaves a solid inch between my finger and the broadhead. I do pull a true 28", when I don't rush the release anyway. Well it seems my arrow flight is a little off kilter, like the spine went hard from losing the inches. I was keeping the brace at 7" on the nose, but went to a 7 1/2". Maybe it is just my mind but it seemed to help some. I also brought the nock point down a hair. Is there a way to further move towards better arrow flight? I mean, at 50# I know a 5575 is skating the line, but it shouldn't be un-doable should it? I know the common answers 1) dont cut them so short (but cut is cut at this point), 2) 5575 is too stiff (but thats what they are at this point). So is there a way to improve performance with this set up? A direction to take the nock point, an adjustment in brace height? Any tricks would be a help. Thanks for reading this! Happy shooting!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Calling all tuning savvy folks...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
carbon arrows will stiffen very quickly when cut-and IMO you were stiff or borderline stiff already
try 200 g
Mike

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
carbon arrows will stiffen very quickly when cut-and IMO you were stiff or borderline stiff already
try 200 g
Mike

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
Thanks, I'll give it a try. Yeah, new arrows are so far out of the picture anytime soon I'm twice as likely to end up having to whittle them from saplings before I could buy more. Haha thanks for the help!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline JBridegroom22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
Add some more point weight and it will weaken the shaft up. Don't change a bunch of things at once just try one thing and see if it makes a difference. Write stuff down so you don't get confused( it's easy to confuse your self). Some people more knowledgable might chime in but I'd probably put everything back to where it was when your arrows were flying well and start with point weight. Best of luck.
Josh

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 07:21:00 PM »
Thanks. Yeah, well the brace height was off when I had it at 7", recremended is somewhere between 7 1/2  - 8, so that needed done anyway. The nock point is a fun little back and forth, thats for sure. I'll have to come up with a way to add some weight up front, might dig through my hardware pile and see. Of interesting note is that not all shots behave the same. When they were longer it seemed as if I could grip the bow any which way and the shots were the same. Now, it seems if I bring my finger tips closer towards the face of the grip (not on the face, just closer that way), the arrow flight is straight as well... an arrow. Are stiffer/shorter arrows less forgiving to grip? Could all be in my noggin I suppose. Anyhow, thanks again for all the help! Troublesome bugger, this is. Oh well, suppose if I wanted boring I would just pick up the arrow casting machine with all the wheels and cables, haha. Eh, "dust" is a good look on it I think. Happy shooting!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
An arrow that is not tuned as well (too stiff/flexible)will be less forgiving of lots of things: grip, anchor point, draw-length, plucking on release, etc.  They are just less accurate.  The easiest thing in my mind (if you're stuck with the arrows) is add point weight.  Get some cheap Zwickeys that are heavier.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
Unless your just shooting targets... then field points are cheap.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »
I think in the end you will be better off with a 500  (3555)  spine .
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
Young trooper, I believe you will need between 250-300gr up front to get it right. I have a hand full of 175gr I can send your way at no cost (Drop me a message if so). In my opinion it's still not enough, but at least closer in the right direction.

Scouts out...
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
Your gonna have to add alot of point weight to get that tuned. I would say with your set up a 3555 with 200-250grains up front would get you close. When I first started I bought 7595 goldtips at my local archery shop cause they told me trad shooters shoot a heavier arrow. Needless too say I had to buy new shafts. I dont know how much point weight you would need to get those 5575's to tune but I would guess at least 300grains. You should get some pretty good advice from some experienced members on here.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
Whoo. I see my problem is bigger than I feared. Zmonster, a very generous offer, but you should keep them. If I'd still be off by a large amount there's no need to waste what could be of value to you someday, thank you kindly though. In the end what I got will have to suffice. I'll keep an eye out for some lighter shafts that someone is fire-saleing down the road. My shots aren't perfect but I'm still not shooting commicaly flopping arrows, so I'm not discouraged. Time to perfect that grip! Hahah thanks all! Happy shooting!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
Agree with above, minimum of 200  grains up front, dependent on your center cut. A 3555 might be a better choice. If you have a Walmart near with arrows in stock try a thunderstorm. Walmart sells single shafts
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
Just to give you a reference... I shoot 50# LB with full length GT 5575 with 165 grain points. They fly like darts, fletched and bare shafts. Good luck!!!

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 01:11:00 AM »
That arrow is probably way too stiff at that length. The only way to fix that arrow is to load up the front end with weight. Like upwards of 300gr or more total (insert and point/broadhead).

Bisch

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 01:21:00 AM »
has any one watched king of the hill,  well YUP

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 01:23:00 AM »
I know how you will feel I cut down some ad trads it took around 50 grains to make up for one quarter inch of cut, unles I get a 80 lb bow.

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 06:23:00 AM »
I have a slew of .500 spine carbons I would be willing to swap with you to try. I also draw 28" so the arrows should be the right length for you. Or you can try a heavier point weight. Good luck.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »
Do You own a fletcher Lucas? If so I will send You a 1/2 dz. 35-55 shafts.

bretto

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »
Bretto, yeah I have a fletcher, though no surplus of feathers. Thank you though! Thats a very nice offer! I ordered a dozen 200 grain tips, seems to be the cheapest attempt I can afford to try right now. I'll see how it works when they come in.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©