3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GPS?  (Read 584 times)

Offline Linwood Hines

• Trad Bowhunter
GPS?
« on: November 30, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
I KNOW THAT I SHOULD KNOW THE TERRITORY THAT I GO HUNTING IN, KNOW IT WELL, but doggone it all, I want to venture into the Virginia mountains next year, and figured a GPS would be a handy thing to have, particularly because I sometime wander a little farther than I figured on - you know - just because this "spot" didn't have any deer walking by me this morning, and maybe I should go a little deeper in the woods this afternoon.  I also know about bread crumbs, and the Indian idea of breaking branches (hey, I watched those movies), but with the modern age we're in, maybe that electronic thing would be good to have and learn.  Do y'all use one, and if so what is a good one for Santa to bring me?
Linwood

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: GPS?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
i have a "Ifinder hunt" by lowrance (not usre on spelling) it does what i want and much more. there handy and fun. my is 4 to 5 years old. 400$ dollar range.
Kevin Day

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
I've got the basic bear bones gps,  like $99 and it is great--- but I would not consider going into new country without a map/topo and compass.... and extra batteries for the gps...
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
I have a Garmin 60 csx-a bit complicated but OK. Whatever you get practice with it, bring extra batteries and map and compass especially going into brand new territory.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
It really depends on how much you want to learn about the thing. The basic GPS units will tell you how to get back to your truck.  The more advanced ones have a display with a topo map that shows you where you are, and a bunch of other things too.  The difference between the bottom of the line and the top of the line is about $400: they range from about $99 to $500 or so.  If you want the top of the line, I would consider the Garmin Oregon.  I think the top of the line models are actually a little easier to use than the mid-range ones, which is probably part of what you pay for.  But the easiest ones of all to figure out are the $99 ones that tell you how to get back to your truck, and they work fine too.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 11:07:00 PM »
Love love love the garmin 450+. Use it in the mountains all the time for elk. Topo, color, long battery life, great reception. Like using an iPhone with the touch screen (use your fingernail).

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 07:59:00 AM »
Garmin makes great units. My current one is an Oregon 450, and it  is one of a long line of Garmins that I have used over the years. Easy to use and very accurate.
However, don't let a gps do all your thinking for you. A good topo map and compass and how to use them should be a good part of your navigation education.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »
The Garmin Etrex series are very good low to mid-range priced GPS's. Most GPS units come with micro SD card capability which allows you to download topo maps right into the unit, it's really nice to be able to compare where your GPS shows you and where your topo shows you. With the topo map being much larger you can see which direction you want to head to to get to a certain bench or drainage you want to check out. Filedepot.com has a ton of topo maps available for free download to a SD card i've used it several times.

Steve

Online goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 08:33:00 AM »
When I go to Canada, I use a Bushnell Backtracker.
Cheap and lets me know how to get back out of the Canadian bush.

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline Supercracker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
I know people are going to discount this, but I have the Accuterra Backcountry Navigator" app on my phone. Navigation wise, I haven't found anything I can do with my $500 Garmin that I can't do with this $20 app.

The only real drawback is the battery doesn't last as long, easily solved with a small external battery, and it's slightly less precise. I have to be satisfied with knowing my location to within 15' or so rather than 3'. lol
We all come into this world screaming, bloody and naked. If life is lived properly this does not stop at birth.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 09:27:00 AM »
Are there any reception issues deep in the woods there? I agree that map & compass (complete with competence) should be part of your navigation system. Sounds like fun.
Sam

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
Garmin Etrex 10. Basic, but adequate. I used the Etrex in the Cabinet Mountains in Montana. The Etrex performed well. I use the 10 for deep trips in and out of midwest hardwood forest and the GPS works great.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
A Garmin Etrex is all you need to find your way back to the truck. But a map and compass should back that up at all times. I would also study your maps before hand and that will give you an idea of where you want to go. It's almost like doing a pre-hunt. You can even find things on the map that will draw you to them, saddles on ridges, creek junctions and thing like that. Good luck!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 10:04:00 AM »
I bought the Garmin Oregon 450T a few months ago when they had a great sale on them at Cabelas. I replaced my old units. Love this new unit. So user friendly and great features. For safety reasons I always use a gps unless I am in a very familiar area that is easy to get back out at night.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 10:44:00 AM »
I've had a Garmin GPS Map 60csx (no longer made) for several years now, wish I would have bought one sooner.  I still have an analog compass in my pack just in case.  The GPS lets me get in a lot faster and quieter in the dark, same for coming out.  It's just a lot easier negotiating rough ground and thick brush or swamps with the GPS than without it.

If you get one, make sure it has an electronic compass so it functions when you are not moving.  Many require you to be moving at 2-3 mph. for the compass to work.  I like the ones that work all the time even if you aren't moving.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
take a compass too........and get true GPS not your cell phone, the phone uses towers and they may be few and far between and eat up battery life..........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »
Garmin Oregon 450 with an Indiana topo map is one of my favorite things.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MikeS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
I love my Garmin 60csx.  Wouldn't hunt without a gps anymore, but you still need a compass just in case!

Offline Supercracker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by hvyhitter:
the phone uses towers and they may be few and far between and eat up battery life..........
Not necessarily true anymore. I can download all the maps (same ones as the Garmin) ahead of time and use it when there's no signal. Just like the Garmin.

I have an S4 and if I turn the app up to the highest battery usage settings (but phone in airplane mode) it eats about 10% of the battery every hour. Then I plug in my external battery (about the size of an Altoids tin) and get another 6-8 hours of time.
We all come into this world screaming, bloody and naked. If life is lived properly this does not stop at birth.

Offline Linwood Hines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »
Thanks to everyone for answering (and sorry that I'm so late getting back to y'all - been away from the computer).  I appreciate the insights!  Yea, compass and topo are definitely required even with the gps, I understand (and the competency to use them).  Hopefully I can convince Santa to bring one down my chimney (maybe he can use the gps to find my house).
Linwood

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©