3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Reflections on hunting the hard way  (Read 607 times)

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Reflections on hunting the hard way
« on: December 01, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
As I finish up a four day whitetail hunt, I am struck with some thoughts that I would like to share.  

I am not new to hunting, or woodsmanship.  I have been hunting all manner of quarry my entire life.  The last two years I have made the switch to traditional archery, skipping the compound step altogether (I always figured that if was going to shoot something with sights and a trigger I may as well just use a rifle).  Let me start by saying this, I am NOT any good at it.....but I am going to be.  In the last two years I have not recorded any harvests or punched any tags, but I have been truely reborn as a hunter and outdoorsman.  I would not trade this years experiences afield with any thus far, and I have had some cherished memories in the past.  I have had many opportunities this season, and come so close on numerous occasions.  I have missed 6 whitetails this season of every shape and gender.  I have made improvement, each time, and the list of "small victories" continues to grow.

I suppose the reason for this rambling diatribe is to thank EVERYONE involved on this site, from the founders and moderators up to the folks like me.  The season isn't over yet, and I have work to do getting myself a harvest.  Win, lose or draw I have emerged a better hunter, and will continue to do so.  Thanks to everyone who has and will share this journey with me.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Reflections on hunting the hard way
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
If your season ends early in the west, come east. We can hunt Uwharrie up until Jan 1. Last 6 days on gameland is either sex. Uwharrie is about 1 hour east of Charlotte.

Good luck and keep at it. So far this year they have my number. Shot over the back of a doe and passed on a button buck. Other than that, I have not had any others in range.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
It is a never ending learning process.  Maybe that is why it is so captivating.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
Sounds like my first two years hunting with the Longbow. If I try to hard or pressure my self I miss. So relax and have fun, which it sounds like you doing.

It won't be long and you'll no longer think of it as the "hard way" but rather all other methods the easy way.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »
Sounds exactly like my first season. I missed 6 whitetails before I finally connected. But the good thing is you are getting opportunities which means you are doing something very right! Some work on shooting or picking a spot or keeping calm and you will be grinning ear to ear. Carry on!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 11:44:00 AM »
Jon S said what I would say.  Good job on what you are doing.  Keep on at it.  It will happen.

ChuckC

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
I can sympathize completely. This year has been something special. I've had way more time (November) than typical and I've used it to hone my skills. Even though I've failed to connect, I have seen my woodsmanship, patience, and alertness go up exponentially by a multiple of the time I've spent in the woods. Needing to get close enough to count coup on a Whitetail deer is one of the most exciting ways to hunt there is. Lord help us if they evolve fangs and claws...we're screwed if that happens!

Tim
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 12:59:00 PM »
For me three things stand out.  One being the the fun I am having just shooting my traditional bows, second complete satisfaction I got taking a deer with trad gear this year and most of all the honest friendships I have built with other trad shooters in the last two years.
T ZZZZ

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I just got finished sharpening the broadhead that I shot into the dirt this morning, time to get back out there!!!!

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
PBS Associate Member

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
We'll said, I hunted with a gun the other morning for the first time all year and as I sat on the hill side knowing that nothing I could see was out of range, I felt empty. I have hunted less this year than others and haven't seen near the deer that I thought I would. But every time I carry the bow I come out with a good feeling, a sense of being where I belong. All I have managed to kill all season has been a couple of squirrels. But I've come to realize that I'm more proud of those squirrels with my bow than I would have been with the new record deer with my .308. So with that being said here's to all the old fashioned die hards out there who are in it for the sake of the hunt, rather than just the kill.
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
Jake,

Your mind is in the right spot!  I sympathize with you also.  I killed a doe with my longbow last year, but for some reason, I have missed more than I'd like to admit this year.  I'm just looking at it as part of the learning process.  I keep practicing (which is easy to do because it's fun anyways), and I know that an accurately placed shot is just a very small part of the hunting process that I truly enjoy!

I'd wish you good luck, but that would insinuate that you're not enjoying yourself unless you're connecting.  It just doesn't sound like that's the case.  Have fun!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
Ascertaining and experiencing joy, gratification and fulfillment along the journey are vital entrées of the main course.

A harvest is merely dessert, while many, such as me, should only partake on a limited basis.

The reflection discerned resonates that your success has been most considerable.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 06:32:00 AM »
Sounds like the how you did it is more important than the how many you did it to.

Enjoy the ride

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
Jake,

You "get it" for sure.  That's what Traditional Bow hunting is about and not about inches of rack or tags punched.  It's about that feeling like your 12 years old again and hunting for the first time.

Thanks for the inspiration this morning.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
I'll echo Wingnut's sentiments with this addition.
The bow and arrow is transformative. They speak not so much to what is but more to what might be.
No one who picks up a bow goes away unaffected... as you well know.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
After all these years, I am still captivated by an arrow launched by a simple bow that heads to its target, be that a big game animal or a stump. I would not be able to explain the feeling to those who have not enjoyed traditional archery, but I don't have to explain it to TGers; we are members of an exclusive club, one that 'outsiders' can't really understand fully. Ain't we lucky?
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
Once again, thank you gentlemen for all your kind words.  I am flattered by all the responses and encouraging words.  I am incredibly happy to be a part of such a fantastic group of people.  

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
PBS Associate Member

Offline Wetfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »
Dont be afraid to still hunt the bedding areas near food during the last week of your season, preferably on a windy or rainy day (noise/scent). This would usually be a no no in midseason. However it can be a good last ditch effort to harvest. Practice your ground shots on bedded target (take the legs off). It has worked for me when it was late and cold and I have not seen anything on the game trails in weeks. Deer tend to herd/bed closer to food sources and do not move as much in late Dec. I am sure you know this, sounds as if you have way more experience than I do in the woods. You may have changed to traditional, but the deer have not changed anything. We can pattern deer the same as we would with a rifle/compound, just our approach needs to be more tactful to get the shot off.
Dwyer Dauntless  61#@27in
Grizzlys and Woodsmans
Oak BoardBow 52#@27in
Bear lil Brave 2 12#@19in

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 12:45:00 PM »
Jake,
 Very well said. I think you just summed up the reason that everyone loves traditional bowhunting. Its challenging, fun, classic, romantic, and rewarding.
 But i dont think alot of Trad hunters take a second and realize how this sports has made them into the most accomplished woodsman and the most capable hunters in the field. In order to be a consistantly successful hunter with Tradlitional equipment you have to get right on top of animals, way to deep into thier comfort zones, understand every peice of the puzzle, put it all together in the right place at the right time. We dont give ourselves enough credit for being able to do all of this. I promise you this (as you are already finding out on your own) becasue of traditional bowhunting you will become one of the best hunters in the woods and you will have woodsmanship skills that only our  great grand parents could understand.
  You said you didnt punch any tags or harvest any animals yet. But you did get in "OUR" shooting range of 6 deer and all the pieces of the puzzel came together so you were able to get an arrow off in all 6 of those times. I call that success that many hunters will never ever know in a single season.
 Keep up the great work and keep that wonderful attitude! You are on the right track and you are going to go a long way! I look forward to reading and hearing aobut all these adventures you have in front of you and how they unfold.

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
This year is also my first year of truly hunting with traditional equipment.  I shot everyday for at least a year and a half before deciding I was confident with trying to take the life of an animal with my equipment. I have shot twice this year and it has accounted for one buck and one doe here in Kansas.  It has been an awesome and rewarding experience like no other in my hunting life.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©