3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Traveling Stalker Stickbows "JACKAL"  (Read 2787 times)

Re: The Traveling Stalker Stickbows "JACKAL"
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2014, 11:22:00 PM »
I should get it in a couple more weeks and am chomping at the bit to feel that riser. If I get it as scheduled it will be right at my birthday, and I will get to go after a pig with it if I can get some arrows working right.

Bisch

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2014, 12:24:00 AM »
geez, I wish some of the traveling bows like this one and Hope and Faith etc. were longer length bows, I'd love to try a Stalker, but with my monkey armed draw length 31" none of them work for me, yeah I know boo hoo! lol
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2014, 01:16:00 AM »
X2

Offline PZee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2014, 03:13:00 AM »
Hey Ryan,

Any chance of sending the bow around the world? I'm so jealous of you guys in the states....

I would love to try any of these bows that go around!

Ow Well....

Pete
'Impi! wo 'nans' impi iyeza
Obani bengathinta amabhubesi?'

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »
For all you guys who didn't get in on this, South does offer a test drive program. If this is a bow your interested in, just give him a call. It's a minimal cost and you can try it for yourself. At least folks in the US. That being said South is out of area for awhile so if you call. But he'll hook you up when he gets back!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2014, 09:39:00 AM »
Ryan, I sat and had a visit with South this past weekend at the Expo in Kzoo. I think South did a fine job on the Jackal and from what he told me, it was a big hit at the show.
You should go on the road with South and hit our winter show, it was a beautiful winters day at the Expo this year.
Burrrrr....
CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline NOMAD88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »
Don't know if y'all got to see my post on it but it is like everyone is saying, there is something about the grip on this bow that just works perfectly.
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=134186;p=2#000016

« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
Steadman, BTW, I got that string you sent to me. I think I am going to have to reserve that skinny sucker to get my nocks to fit good. Waiting on the bow and I will give it a go!

Thanks,

Bisch

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
Good to hear Bisch! Ha that's 14super strands too. I ran out of my thicker serving. Chuck I'd really like to get to some shows again. Hope all is well with you and your wool insoles are awesome!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »
Thanks Ryan!  Yes, South does offer a "test drive" but as Steadman mentioned, he's getting ready to leave on a trip.

Chuck, I'm thinking the Expo should be in Hawaii!      :shaka:

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2014, 04:42:00 PM »
Well, if they move it Ryan, I will come. Might even stay. How many rooms you got?    :shaka:    

We are getting pounded again this weekend. I have had enough winter already
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
Got the bow packed up and read to ship out today if i can get out of of work for a bit to get to the PO.  I will get some comments up as soon as I can.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
Todd, thank you for the updated status on the Jackal.

We've got than enough room Chuck!

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: February 08, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »
Okay finally  got a little time to share some thoughts on the new riser.  

Like I said before, I really love the grip. It is as good a grip for my hand as I have ever tried.  I have a couple I like quite a bit on different bows, but none I like  any  better.  It sets very solid in my and with no unwanted contact area.  it is very repeatable and comfortable.  I like the way my thumb sets very relaxed in the grip shape in the left side with my index finger just making contact with the thumb. Index finger rides nice on the flat of the back  of the riser.  The only thing I would change on the grip for me would be a minor change to right side of the  riser's back where my bottom fingers  land.  I tend  to hit right on the edge line near the  ends of my lower fingers.  That feels  a little odd  when carrying with a tighter grip.   If  it  was  a little more full  on the right side near the back or had a little more radius on that edge, it would just feel a bit better for my fingers to grip.  A smaller hand  would likely have the fingers  on the back of the riser and a large hand would likely have the finger joint hit the edge and wrap nicely. It is just a small personal hand  fit  thing.  No negatives to me on the shot, but  someone with my hand size, who likes to grip more firm on the shot, may not like this edge.

I like the shelf a lot.  Just the right height for me.  Some may like an arrow right on their hand, but I like to keep the feather base from running on my hand if I have a low nock or arrow slide down.  I really like the way the shelf is narrow at the belly and wider at the back. This kind of shelf cut gives me a lot of clearance in the area where my arrows tend to rub the shelf when I shoot  split. At the same time the wider shelf at the back of the riser gives plenty of arrow support to keep the arrow on very well when tipping the bow to the left or moving it around fast.  

Site window was good,  and I like that the bow has a narrow limb profile with a narrow riser at the top limb.  This gives me better vision when shooting spit with a little cant. I used to shoot split with more cant, but now shoot a lot more 3under and fairly vertical.  when I do shoot  split now, a lot of shorter riser bows bug me because they have wide limb butts and short site windows. I end up with the obstructed view now with the shorter risers.  This one works fairly well  for me split  and 3 under.

The riser is set forward in comparison to some bow.  I really like that and how stable the bow feels.  It really points well. The bow really shot well for me.  

I do have just a minor esthetic item.  I kind of thought the riser shape was a bit plan on the low part of the grip and riser area.  More on the bottom of the grip transition area particularly on the left side.  It just looks a bit plan in shape.  Maybe a bit of  a change in the shape just to give it a bit more detail and contour as the grip transitions to the riser particularly on the lefts side heading back to the  back  of the  riser and below the grip.

I wasn't as  thrilled with the limbs as I was the riser.  The bow shot well for me for accuracy and pointed real well. Performance was decent for the limb type.  Draw was decent, but felt just a hair heavier than my other bows of the same weight  range. Felt more like my 53 then  51# bow.  The bow felt nice  in the hand  on the shot.  I played a bit with some strings, silencers and other tuning, but never got it as quite as I would like.  I really didn't have a lot of experimenting time due to the sub zero temps and winds we had part of the week I had the bow.  Hard to say what I may have been able to do with it with one my my SBD strings if  I had time to try out some different silencer setups.  Part of the sound I heard particularly shooting 3 under made  me  wonder if some limb  pad material could be worth trying out.  Had the bow been whisper quite for me, It would  likely be lost in the mail right about now.    :D  

Last year I shot all three limb designs at the expo.  I liked the working recurve limbs the best.  I would really like  to shoot those limbs on this riser, but I am not sure that is an option for this riser.

I would love a bow with this riser,  recurve limbs and 58" long that will draw to 29" or a little more. That is exactly the bow  I am looking for right now.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2014, 12:00:00 AM »
Todd,
Thank you for your detailed insight!  

Yes, you are able to shoot the static limbs off of this riser as it's basically built off the same platform as the Coyote.

Aloha!
Ryan

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
The Jackal will be on it's way to New York tomorrow to participate in Shawn's Bunny Hunt, should be a great weekend, she will get shot a ot this weekend!!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »
Looks like the postman tried to bring it to me yesterday, but I was in Fort Worth at a 3D shoot. I'll pick it up first thing Monday morning and be slinging arrows within an hour of getting her!

Bisch

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »
I got a chance to handle the Jackel last weekend at JLMBH....two words....VERY SWEET!!!!

Pix don't do the bow justice at all....really like the riser shape!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2014, 12:29:00 PM »
All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!

I picked the bow up at the PO a little while ago. Came home and opened the box up. Pictures of the bow do not do it justice! It is beautiful, as are all of South's creations. Boone is a bit heavy for me so I did  not even try the limbs that came with it. I immediately got the limbs off my Custom Tracker (now called Coyote, I think) and put them on the jackal riser. It looks real good, even with mismatched limbs!

I then went and got a few arrows and straight out to te target. With ZERO tuning this is what I was getting within the first 5 minutes of shooting this bow!

10yds:

15yds:

And 20yds:

To say I am impressed would be an understatement. There would be a few minor things I would change in the grip if I was to have South make one for me, but overall it gets an A+ from me!

Bisch

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »
Hey Bisch,
Did it make it in time for any of your hunts???

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©