3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any interest in a central PA late-season pheasant hunt? UPDATE PAGE 6 - cancelled  (Read 2211 times)

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
I  would  like  to  try  that,  it's  funny I   was just  telling a  friend I  would  like  to  try  hunting  birds  with  my  bow. I'm  next  to  the  shore  here  in NJ, so I  don't  know  how  far  it  is.

Thanks
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by njloco:
I'm  next  to  the  shore  here  in NJ, so I  don't  know  how  far  it  is.

Thanks
Hi Ken.  Where on the shore are you?  My M/F-in-law live in Edison and it takes 3:45 to State College... LBI is about 5 hours if traffic in Philly isn't an issue.

Offline jebeckjr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I think we're going to need to go with Saturday, 3/1.  The weekend of the 8th is going to conflict with some other activities.  I'm going to lock in 3/1 now.
>>>----TGMM Family of the Bow----->

Offline jebeckjr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
UPDATE: 3/1 is locked in. I have the camp reserved from Friday evening through Sunday morning.

Offline jwind338

• Trad Bowhunter
Heck ya! If you still have any room available, please count me in. I have been wanting to do this for a while,  please keep me posted. Thank you, Joel

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
Sounds great! I'll definitely be there. Thanks for setting it up.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I'm in!  Rebersburg is just one hop over a mountain for me.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Hello Nittny,

I  live  just  south  of  your  in-laws, in Old Bridge  about 15  minutes  from  the  ocean. I  figure  it's  about 5  hours  from Rebersburg.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline jebeckjr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
OK, so here is the list of people who are tentatively attending.  Date is 3/1 (Saturday) with a start time of approx. 9:30 AM.  If you want to stay at camp on Friday night, please send me a PM and let me know.  There are 15 of us "signed up".  I am thinking 2 pheasants each, for a total of 30.  Though we can maybe do 3 or 4 each, if the interest is there.  Cost will be approximately $13 per bird.  I'll need to figure out some way to get bird payments from everyone up front so I can place the order - I don't want to have to layout the cash up front, in case people don't show.  I've never tried to organize something like this before, so if any of you guys have recommendations on the number of birds, how to collect the money, etc, please let me know!  Also, is anyone coming also bringing a bird dog?  Just let me know.

I think 15 people or so is a good number.  We can add a few more, but I think we're close to the limit here.

Here's who I have:
jebeckjr (John)
Big Ed
Zbone
Sarah
Mamba (Peter)
grouse11
Homer
kwc
stumpsniper
NittanyRider
mahantango and son
njloco
jwind338
jsweka

Let me know of any corrections  /  changes.  

Thanks!

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
I will ask my buddy about the use of his dog. Also is there an area to bring food along. I can do a crock pot of soup and or chili and my usual deer sticks and bologna. I am in for a case of water.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm really looking forward to this!  I saw that 3Rivers has a couple videos on pheasant hunting  and aerial archery:

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Pheasant+Hunting+with+a+Bow+DVD_i7044_baseitem.html

and

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?show=info&c=86&s=334&p=46&i=7047#full

Does anyone own either of these DVDs or know anything about them?  If not, I would be willing to order one and pass it around to the group.

John - I can mail you a check for the birds... just need your address.

David

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
John - Can you do Paypal?

Those DVD's look useful.

Offline jebeckjr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Yes, I can do PayPal, or people can mail a check.  I don't need anything yet, we'll just need to plan on getting all the birds ordered in Feb.  This way, if people need to back out or change, I'm not trying to refund money.

There is a full kitchen up at camp.  That's a great offer, Ed!  I'll bring some food up as well.  This sounds like its going to be a blast!!!

I need to watch those videos, and go practice some more!

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
John this is amazing! Is there room for me to get involved or are you full? It would be a treat to see a bird dog point and flush a bird for the first time. Thanks for the consideration :)  Jim
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline jebeckjr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Jim, sure, you are more than welcome.

Some people have pm'd me about equipment - especially arrows.  We're going to keep this a Trad-only hunt, and for arrows, flu flu's will be needed.  As for points, I'm going to say no broadheads, just because of the dogs.  My dogs will attempt a retrieve and run down cripples, and that's too dangerous with broadheads.  Judo, Snaro, and blunts should do the job.  With flu flu's, we should be able to retrieve all the arrows easily, but in case we can't find one, that's another reason broadheads are a no-go.  Just too many dogs hunt at the club to risk it.

Any other questions, please let me know!  I am far, far, from an expert on bowhunting birds, but know a lot about pointing dogs and upland hunting in general.  This inaugural event will be a learning experience for all of us!  I am very open to suggestions!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
I would be interested. Keep me in the loop please. Heck, I could get there easily.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
I just ordered the intro to aerial archery dvd... glad I waited because books and dvds are 20% off today at 3Rivers!  

I'd be happy to pass it around as long as each person who receives it is willing to pay shipping to the next person in line.  The last person can either give it to me in March or send it back to me when they are done.

Who wants it first?

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
I understand the concern with brodheads and dogs, but in my limited experience blunts and flu-flu's aren't real effective on pheasants and Snaro's even less so. Arrows slow down way quick, lose energy, no penetration. Maybe somebody who's done more of this will chime in?
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Thadbow

• Trad Bowhunter
I would love to be part of this adventure!  Keep us posted on the details and thank you!
Thaddeus

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
When a group of us would go yearly in Maryland we used broad heads on flu-flu's. The dog handler would leash up the dog after going on point. Then we would proceed to flush the bird. The flu-flu's were only three fletched usually 4"-5" as to not to slow down the arrow as much with in reason. We had some birds fly quite a ways with broadheads punched through them.
But I will respect the ruling of the land and dog owners as what to use. I am sure we can all come up with a remedy.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©