3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Plaid Question  (Read 459 times)

Offline Dallas

• Trad Bowhunter
Plaid Question
« on: December 02, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
Somewhere along the way I seem to remember that plaids that are predominately blue are not good for deer.  As I recall, deer are supposedly able to identify the blue shading as something out of place.  Is there any truth to this or just simply a figment of my imagination?

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Plaid Question
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
Plenty of folks hold that opinion, I do not. I've killed many while wearing blue jeans. If you like the garment I'd use it and not think twice about it.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
I think that movement is what spooks deer more than the color of your cloths.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 11:26:00 AM »
It is easier for a deer to pic up movement and or see something out of place in a large solid colored object.  If your pattern is broken as is the case with plaid you should be fine, IMO.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 11:27:00 AM »
Just don't mix plaids.  You need a nice pair of blue jeans or solid wool trousers, maybe a matching headband and polish those boots ! We don't want to look shabby out there.  Styling... that's where it is at !

ChuckC   ;)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
I have read many times that deer see blue better than most colors, so I never wear blue, but I agree with others that say movement is probably a greater problem.
Sam

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
I too have read blue is a color deer see.

Offline FAV 52

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
I'm not sure that anyone can truthfully answer that question ; although a deer being able to see in low light or dark I do believe that a garment that reflects light or ultra violet will be seen by deer . Some clothing give off this ultra violet light a quick check under a black light will tell you . If its giving off ultra violet light it will glow under a black light ; if not it will be dull .

Offline FAV 52

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
I'm not sure that anyone can truthfully answer that question ; although a deer being able to see in low light or dark I do believe that a garment that reflects light or ultra violet will be seen by deer . Some clothing give off this ultra violet light a quick check under a black light will tell you . If its giving off ultra violet light it will glow under a black light ; if not it will be dull .

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
I think this info about wearing blue was made up by someone trying to sell you something --
I think you can wear Barney Purple and it would not matter
Here is my fall story --   I was hunting in Iowa
I walked up on a doe at 35 yards --  the sun was behind me --  we stared at each other for a long time, I thought there has to be a buck here, sure enough, there he was just a few yards away, a nice 135 " buck. After a bit they both got nervous and walked off a bit, only to walk back to me and lay down -- he bread her, not once but twice as I stood there in the open for over two hours. The only thing I had on was one of my plaid wool shirts( little delta green )  ( no mask ) green pants --  the weather was warm
about 60 -- later it went to single degits -  
Needless to say it would have made a great video. Even though I sell wool clothing, color does not matter-  photo's I take in Black and White -- you cannot tell one from another =--  
It is movement -- anything that may shine --  
It was interesting to watch this buck for so long test the wind from his bed --   I regret not try to inch my way to themm over two hours--
they finally walked off-- in two weeks of hunting many of which were on the ground, I wore plaid -- green face mask --   I was never made -
I was within 35 yards of several different bucks
so close --  
Look at it this way --   deer are a dead leaf brown--  if they just stand and do not move --   most of the time you do not see them--
The woods or timber are different colors at different times of the year--   the sun and shadows make the colors change --  gray, brown , green - black--  LOOK at the woods, timber, brush and fields -- leaves at times are beige in color even look yellow/or cream --  
You just need to hide ---  pretend someone is looking for you -- blend in --   play the wind --
it will happen  
classic sportsmn      www.classicsportsman.com  
Rob T

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
Studies show that it APPEARS that deer DO SEE colors towards the blue/indigo spectrum on the light waves.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
Deer can see?!
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"