3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Sas SS hog hunting bow! First impressions! Pic heavy!!  (Read 1582 times)

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Sas SS hog hunting bow! First impressions! Pic heavy!!
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »
Marc,

According to Kirk, she's definitely got legs!    :p   Initial chrony results is 199 fps (I know, I know - it's not 200 +) with 10.2 gpi hunting set-up.

That is plenty fast for me!

Jim,

Yep.  Planning on having her with me in Florida!  Gonna be tough - my SS or my Centaur Triple Carbon!?!   :help:  

Had really hoped to have her up and running for the upcoiming Hog Wild hunt in SC this coming weekend, but you can't rush a master!   :thumbsup:    

Think I'm gonna have to move up to 340's for this baby!
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
need a full report when it's in your hands....got one coming myself in a month or so

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
That is truly a beautiful bow!
Sam

Offline Lippe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 11:02:00 PM »
Please give us a complete report! It certainly is a looker. Let us know how she shoots.
Lippe

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Marc B.:
It needs shots of the limbs, you can't have a pin up girl with showing her legs     :goldtooth:    

Nice bow Bob!
Since Bob is going to run off and go hunting tomorrow, i thought i'd slip one finished photo in here without all the sealer running down the riser...

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
Just received this "teaser" from Kirk.  98% + complete.  He is hoping she will ship tomorrow!

Love the flush limb bolt detail and the black glass/carbon limbs!
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
Looks Good, like the curves.

Offline skilonbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »
I like the pics of the legs on that bow she is looking so fine

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2013, 11:31:00 PM »
Absolutely stunning
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2013, 01:22:00 AM »
Nice! Congrats rbcorbitt, and great job Kirk.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
What a beautiful Bow!
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »
A most appealing piece of art.

Is the riser wenge and bocote?
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
Friend,

The riser is Maccasar Ebony with Bocote "fang".  Just got her in mail today, and all I can say is WOW!

I will post up some more pics shortly!  Kirk outdid himself on this SS!!

Offline doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
Sweet bow!   :thumbsup:
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
NICE!
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
Very nice looking bow.

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
Have issues downloading pics here at office, so will get some more pictures of this beauty up when I get home this afternoon!

Went home yesterday at lunch to package up a couple items that I had sold on TG Classifieds.  Weather was the best its been in awhile - mid 40's and sunny.

I assembled the Sasquatch SS, and as I was awaiting a response from Kirk himself on recommended brace heights, strung her up and braced it to 7 3/4".  Kurt had provided one string (a 12 strand that he states he was getting better performance out of) with two cat whiskers and an adjustable string nock that I twisted up to what I typically shot on my Centaur.

I grabbed 4 of my typical hunting arrows for my R/D and recurves, 400 VAP's cut to 30.25", internally footed with 300 grains up front (595 total arrow weight), and headed out to the back yard.

This bow (58", 57# at 28" - I draw a tad over 29") is SMOOTH!
No hand shock and super quiet at the 7 3/4" brace height.

The grip - well, how do I put this - was as close to perfection as I have found!  Kirk matched my hand dimensions to a T       :notworthy:        !!

Now to provide my rudimentary basis of comparison, my deer 3-D target, with the occasional exception of those spots that have been hit continuously, will typical stop this same arrow set up (over 25% FOC) right at the fletching with my triple carbon Centaur Dark Matter (chronied at 185 fps by Rick Welch with this arrow set-up).

At approximately 18 yards, I let loose my first arrow to see it hit
1) exactly where I was looking, and  2) disappear completely from sight!  I moved back a step at a time with the balance 3 arrows.  All were hitting in the heart/lung area of the deer target, but none of then were visible from my side of the 3-d target.  What beautiful arrow flight - I could briefly see the spiral of the florescent lime fletchings as the arrows zipped towards the target!

Upon walking up to my target, I saw that all 4 arrows had blown completely thru the target and where sticking in the dirt on the other side!

Moving out to 25 - 28 yards, I mentally adjusted for any drop due to the extended distance, to only have the arrows hit 4-6 high - in other words, minimal noticeable drop at this distance!
Now I knew why Kurt had added the inscription "Shoot Low, Brother!" on the riser!  This bow can shoot (Kirk was getting 199 fps with a 10 gpi set-up).   WOW!

I got an email response from Kirk early yesterday evening suggesting a brace height range of 7 - 7 1/2" as well as some string position suggestions for the two cat whiskers that he provided with the string.  If it shoots any better and quieter at a lower brace height than it did at the 7 3/4" that I started off with, then I will be doubly impressed!

Granted - I have only shot around 20 arrows through this SS, but I am super impressed.  Great looks and performance as well!  This one's a keeper!       :clapper:      

More pics as soon as I can get them uploaded!

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by rbcorbitt:
Have issues downloading pics here at office, so will get some more pictures of this beauty up when I get home this afternoon!

Went home yesterday at lunch to package up a couple items that I had sold on TG Classifieds.  Weather was the best its been in awhile - mid 40's and sunny.

I assembled the Sasquatch SS, and as I was awaiting a response from Kirk himself on recommended brace heights, strung her up and braced it to 7 3/4".  Kurt had provided one string (a 12 strand that he states he was getting better performance out of) with two cat whiskers and an adjustable string nock that I twisted up to what I typically shot on my Centaur.

I grabbed 4 of my typical hunting arrows for my R/D and recurves, 400 VAP's cut to 30.25", internally footed with 300 grains up front (595 total arrow weight), and headed out to the back yard.

This bow (58", 57# at 28" - I draw a tad over 29") is SMOOTH!
No hand shock and super quiet at the 7 3/4" brace height.

The grip - well, how do I put this - was as close to perfection as I have found!  Kirk matched my hand dimensions to a T    :notworthy:     !!

Now to provide my rudimentary basis of comparison, my deer 3-D target, with the occasional exception of those spots that have been hit continuously, will typical stop this same arrow set up (over 25% FOC) right at the fletching with my triple carbon Centaur Dark Matter (chronied at 185 fps by Rick Welch with this arrow set-up).

At approximately 18 yards, I let loose my first arrow to see it hit
1) exactly where I was looking, and  2) disappear completely from sight!  I moved back a step at a time with the balance 3 arrows.  All were hitting in the heart/lung area of the deer target, but none of then were visible from my side of the 3-d target.  What beautiful arrow flight - I could briefly see the spiral in the lime fletchings as the arrows zipped towards the target!

Upon walking up to my target, I saw that all 4 arrows had blown completely thru the target and where sticking in the dirt on the other side!

Moving out to 25 - 28 yards, I mentally adjusted for any drop due to the extended distance, to only have the arrows hit 4-6 high - in other words, minimal noticeable drop at this distance!
Now I knew why Kurt had added the inscription "Shoot Low, Brother!" on the riser!  This bow can shoot (Kirk was getting 199 fps with a 10 gpi set-up).   WOW!

I got an email response from Kirk early yesterday evening suggesting a brace height range of 7 - 7 1/2" as well as some sting position suggestions for the two cat whiskers that he provided with the string.  If it shoots any better and quieter at a lower brace height than it did at the 7 3/4" that I started off with, then I will be doubly impressed!

Granted - I have only shot around 20 arrows through this SS, but I am super impressed.  Great looks and performance as well!  This one's a keeper!    :clapper:    

More pics as soon as I can get them uploaded!

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
Whoops, don't know how that happened!  Was trying to edit initial post!  Sorry Moderators!!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
All I'm going to say is    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©