3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting with a balaclava?  (Read 638 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting with a balaclava?
« on: December 02, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »
Do any of you guys wear a balaclava while bowhunting in cold weather? I've never worn one but am considering trying one. Are you still able to anchor in the corner of your mouth or does it give you trouble?

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting with a balaclava?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »
Yep, I wear a light weight Balaclava and a neck gaiter - never had a problem with my anchor.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
Jon,when wearing a heavy(thick) one I'll pull it down below my lip so I can get a good anchor,but with something thin like spando-flauge there's no problem.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »
I do the same thing as J. Williams.  When I see a deer that I'm planning on shooting, I pull the balaclava down on my chin and have no problem.  I not only like a balaclava for warmth but also for camo.
\\
Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
I have the Sitka Gear balaclava and like it.

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
I use a black silk Balaclava with no problem coming to anchor.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
I have a neck gaiter that is a decent compromise between warmth and yet not to much interference with my anchor.  Something on my neck is mandatory in cold weather.

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
I use a First Lite merino Balaclava and it's not a problem. However it is very thin.

As far as concealment I consider it the most important piece of clothing I wear.

Have not used it in very cold wx. Something thin combined with a wool scarf or buff should cover most temps.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
Used my first light in 20 deg with 20 mph winds. Worked great. It froze when I breathed into it in the wind, then thawed and dried when I looked away. I will stitch the face cover where it comes across to hold it up a bit better. Thin and easy to find anchor.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
A Balaclava or any other face covering always gives me trouble. I have found a solution in a good head cap/Insulated neck gaiter. When I see a deer I just pull the neck gaiter down.
Works great and stays warm

Offline momo-t

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »
Jon
I second the First Lite Wind River Balaclava. Nice and thin,doesn't mess with your anchor point too much.And surprisingly warm for such a thin material.

I just modified mine by sewing and then cutting out a breathing hole so not to fog and freeze out my glasses as much.
 Just came in from outside to test it out,                 worked like a charm.

Mo
Hill Big Five
2 Bear Longbows,  Montana/ Bruin

Cari-bow Silverfox longbow
The harder I work
The luckier I get

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm looking at the Sitka balaclava. I get cold easily!

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
I like the Under Armour "Hood" that's Cold Gear, thin and very versatile (Pull it up, down, and in-between)... No anchor issues at all. Then I add a beanie type cap over it if I need even more warmth. I also like the Asbell Wind Blocker Pullover with High neck in back, under chin in front... No issues, very nice! Traditional thicker Balaclava, not for me for anchor issues.................

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
I use a fleece balaclava that has a neck gator built in....walking in I just have the neck gator up....as I cool off and start to chill I pull the hood up.  no prob coming to anchor either way.

my main beef with the hood is the extra layer over my ears interfering with hearing...(fleece hat over the ear hole, then the hood over the hat)

I just ordered the sherpa vest and zipper wool jacket with hood from Aspell.  I'm interested to see how that combo works as far as hearing...I think the less fitted hood should keep the warmth but not impair my hearing....
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
Like J. Williams said, once the deer is coming I pull it down under the chin for shooting.
I also wear a silk bandana around my neck (like the cowboys wear) very warm combo!
I have been wearing the Core4 element Assualt balaclava, it's thin, but very warm.

chris <><

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
Jon, I suggest once you get one to practice with it on a bunch first. I missed a dandy one year in a snow storm at 20 yards. Had a thick fleece one on and I thought I anchored in the proper place but I evidently didn't and the arrow sailed right over his back. I was standing behind a big tree and thought it was going to be a chip shot. I am still sick about it even after 7 years, haha.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »
I've found the perfect combo for me and it is the first lite gator and beanie. The gator stretches to 18" long and can be pulled up over the head with the lower end over your chin. You then put the beanie over that and you have a warm solution as well as a flexible headnet that gives you a large opening that won't get in the way of your shooting. I add a little carbo mask paint that is easily removable and I finally have a system that I love. The gator and beanie are expensive but high quality very fine merino wool that does the job here in Wisconsin and we've been bellow zero on several occasions this season.

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
Yep...2x Smoke said.  I have a smartwool neck warmer that I got as a present.   I can pull it up over my face or pull it down as needed.  

Word of caution...I have tried Balaclavas but they were either tight enough to bother me or loose enough to feel weird to me when I turn my head.  The loose one would bunch up and not want to turn with my head.  It would mess with my peripheral vision in my left eye when I shot.  Remember that and try it before you buy it.    

Jeff

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 12:40:00 AM »
Thank you for all of the excellent advice guys.  Trying to become more comfortable during late season cold conditions so that I will continue to hunt.  Often, it becomes too easy to not go out there when its COLD! HA!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 06:16:00 AM »
Just shoot with it on and you will get use to it. It seems that when I do or use something different it screws up my shooting but if i just stick with it and practice it will work out.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©