3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Osage AND Yew...together  (Read 303 times)

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
Osage AND Yew...together
« on: December 02, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
I spoke with Steve Turay today and worked out the final specs for my Huron and Shelton he'll be starting in the next few days.

I decided to go with Osage for the riser and Yew cores/lams on the Huron. I think they will compliment each other well for this style of bow, but I can't find ANY pics of this combo. Does anyone already have this wood combo I can see to help ease the wait (not too long now anyway, but pics are always fun to see)

If you have any experience with these woods, I'd like to hear about them and of course welcome any photo's.

Thanks,

Stump
In the wind, he's still alive...

Offline NEB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage AND Yew...together
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 09:51:00 AM »
Hey Stump,

I have a Sheepeater with osage riser and yew limbs.  I don't have a way to post pics here, but PM your email address and I will send you a pic.  I love the combo.  It is interesting to me how well it blends into the woods.  It just sort of melts into the light and reflects the colors and shadows around it.  Awesome combo for sure.

Neil

Offline Trinity Outfitters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
Don't have pics, but I love osage risers with yew lams.  Classic!
"I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly."  John 10:10

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
stumpbuster- post those pics when you get them- really want to see that.
wayne

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 06:31:00 PM »
You also might want to consider yew for the back of the limbs and osage for the belly of the limbs, since yew is known for its expansion qualities and osage is known for its compression qualities.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
NEB sent me some pics of his sheepeater and if he doesn't mind I'll try and get them posted.

I spoke to Steve and originally I was going to go ALL osage, but he talked me out of using osage in the limbs for this bow, so we went with all yew for the lams and cores. Noce simple two wood combo of classic woods that should melt together once the osage darkens a bit. The lighter yew in the limbs along with the heavier osage in the riser should perform too since I only asked for this one to be #35 for turkeys, squirrels, rabbit and quail.

The Shelton is going to be #46@30" and a combo of three woods with a story behind them. Once the bow arrives I'll explain my reasons for the woods in that one.

I'll definitely post pics!!!

I'm waaaaaaaay tardy on posting pics of my Arroyo too, so I'll have to knock them all out when everything arrives.

Thanks for the replies all!

Sincerely,

Mike

Offline NEB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
Mike can post pics of my little Sheepeater.  I chose osage for the riser, Tonkin cane for the back and yew for the belly.  Mine shoots great!  Very fast and no shock.  I would not hesitate to buy another yew limbed bow.  I don't own a bow with osage in the limbs, but the ones I have shot seemed to shoot "hard" and just feel a little sluggish when compared to boo or yew.  Kind of like pulling a 12 gauge auto to your shoulder instead of a 28 gauge double.

Neil

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:
You also might want to consider yew for the back of the limbs and osage for the belly of the limbs, since yew is known for its expansion qualities and osage is known for its compression qualities.
this is true.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 01:48:00 AM »
Here are a few ics of NEB's Sheepeater...

Thanks again for sharing NEB...It's a beautiful bow!

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
The thing about osage is that it darkens with age and after a few years its about the same dark honey amber as yew insted of a bright yellow for contrast..........if thats what you are looking for..........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©