3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: whats your effective killing range?  (Read 1078 times)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: whats your effective killing range?
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
Most shots would be 15 yards or so, however I was skilled enough to miss a big bear at 10 yards this spring. I stump shoot out to 50 and 60 yards, but that is waaaay too far to shoot at a critter.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
Out to 12 is more my comfort zone,  12 to 15 is my max.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
I really don`t know on live critters. Seems I try to set up for 15 yard shots or sneak that close on foot. If not I let`m go. I hit a 3d deer today in the kill 3 shots in a row at 42 yards but that matters none to me on critters with hair.RC

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 07:21:00 PM »
20 yards
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »
I always thought it was 30 yards, and if that big doe was 30 yards away, instead 20, I would have hit it square in the low lungs. As maxwell smart would say, "I missed it by that much".

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
I love what the Wensel brother's say about it: "archery is seeing how far you can get from your target and still hit it. Hunting is seeing how close you can get to your target and not miss"    That sums it up for me !                Tradcat

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Inside 20 yards............   :thumbsup:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
Hunting range =95% chance of hitting kill zone or better. I would say 100% but sometimes we just make bad shots and sometimes we make good shots but arrows get deflected by unseen twigs or something.

For this A LOT depends on my surroundings.

Small game is 7 yards or less in dense woods, 12 yards in typical woods, or 15 yards in the back yard.

Deer is again 7yds in dense woods, but 15 in typical settings or 20 for wide open shots.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Norminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
Seems like I'm always 15 to 18 yards at the shot. I practice mostly 15 to 30.
Norm from Canuckistan

45#,50#,55#,56" Bear Grizzlies
45#,54#,52" Bear Kodiak Magnum
55#,58" Vintage Works 62 Kodiak
55#,62" Tomahawk

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
My effective killing range for coyotes, any one of hundreds that are running our hills, is as far as I can lob an arrow at them. Whether I hit one or not beyond 30 yards is another story.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
I like them around 15, but will shoot out to 30 if the shot feels right. I just have learned to not shoot if it doesn't feel right no matter the yardage.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
I have been at it for 27 years and never killed a animal over 25 yards. I shoot year round out to 25-27 but my comfort zone is 15-20. In my opinion too much can go wrong after that with trad gear. Speed being one of them. I just had this conversation with a guy last week. I mentioned the buck I killed this year was 13 yards and I don't remember killing anything further than 15 yards in the last 10-15 years. I would say shoot year round, know your gear and your comfort zone and stay within it.

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
Haven't got to shoot at a deer in a while but I've been killing squirrels at 25+ yards.
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
I will take a 25 yard shot if the angels are singing.  Prefer 20 yards. Don't like them closer than 15 yards but will work with each unique situation as it is presented.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
I have been shooting for many years and look forward to consistent hunting accuracy out to 25 yards,(doubt I'll ever get there). Currently, I shoot better at 20 yards or less, preferably about 15.

With consistent practice, though, 25 yard accuracy is attainable. But one problem at longer range, that is somewhat out of your control, is movement by the deer when you release. That is one of the reasons some very accurate archers restrict hunting range to far less than the distances that they consistently make on the 3D range.

Whatever range you are proficient at, simply limit shots to that range. Since you are good to go out to 15 yards, pick your stand carefully and go hunting! Good luck.
Sam

Offline Brian K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
For me, focus is the key to accuracy.  I've limited my hunting distance to inside 15 yards because I can see, select and focus easily on a small spot at that distance and zone everything else.  Practicing out to 30 yards and further helps me learn to focus better  and zone in on a spot.

Like Kevin Coster in the "For the Love of the Game" and the scene where he "engages the mechanism" zoning out the crowd to throw a perfect game.
There's only 7 days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Offline Cy14561

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
I have been fortunate to take 5 deer with trad gear I can shoot 25 yards at 3d targets but while hunting I don't really feel comfortable over 18 everything I've killed has been between 10 and 15 yards but that's just me I'm no fred bear or howard hill that's for sure

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
726 Yards but thats just me  ;)  

It really doesnt matter what My effective range is. 3 weeks ago it was 20 yards no problem.  Today its more like 5 yards.  after a day of practice it will be back to where it should be.

The question you should ask yourself, (you dont have to share) is what is your effective range.

The thing is, If I see an animal, its not how far, but will I  or wont I.  Sure I dont always make the shot but I hate thinking yardage when hunting since i am so bad at estimating it with numbers in the first place.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
I've been at this a long time and have found that the kill range depends on each and every circumstances.  For instance, I've passed shots on a bull elk at 15 yds and killed elk at 35 yds.  In each case it was a feeling and not the distance.

Get comfortable with your shooting and more important get comfortable with the situations.  If your nervous it a good chance thing will not go well.  Confidence is everything.

How's that for a non answer?  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
Out to 15, maybe 18 yards for me.  And I don't practice, set-up for, or feel comfortable shooting at anything closer than 8 yards, either.  Like many others here, I enjoy targeting stumps and whatnot out farther, to 30 yards or so.
Jim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©