3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Yours furthest kill shot!?!  (Read 1417 times)

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Yours furthest kill shot!?!
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
20 yards on whitetail.
16 on turkey.
about 12' on spruce grouse.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Online trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »
made a couple of 40 yard kills.... one on a whitetail deer from the ground and a pronghorn was out at about 40 but I was shooting good.....I like 30 and inwards but like most hunters like the 20 to 25 yard shot...some days I pass on 30 yard shots if I don't feel like I am "in the zone"

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
most of the deer i kill are less than 18-20 yards.  I have killed some farther, but i would rather keep it closer...that is why we hunt with a stick, right?

Farthest shot is a red fox at 41 steps.

BAB
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bill Carlsen:
55 paces on a caribou. 70 yards on a gray squirrel.
I could not see a bushy tail at 70 yards......  :biglaugh:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
I stretched a shot on a deer all the way out to 20 yards once, killed her, everything else has been 15 or less.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
With my recurve 21 yards.

I only tried a longer shot in my 2nd or 3rd year bow hunting when I was 17 or 18 years old. I was very fortunate...I missed badly, as I should have. In more than 40 years since I have never tried such a shot again and won't.

I did kill a Pepsi can at about 70 yards with some co-eds walking by the range in the fall of 1973. Shaved my feathers right off the arrow-- bummer!

Point-on with my current set-up is 33 yards. I can "kill" my 3D targets better at that range than at 25. However, I am almost certain I would never attempt it on a live, unwounded animal.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »
My longest kill shot was 20 yards. All others have been 15 or less.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline dsturgissr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
Longest was a 65 yd shot on a 6 pt back when it was acceptable to shoot long range. First kill was a doe at 55 yds. 30 yds is about as far as I will shoot anymore. Prefer about 15 to 20 yds.     Denny Sturgis Sr

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
43 yrds on a Montana Gopher. Then my buddy Doug hit one at 53 yrds.

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
32 yds Complete pass thru this year. 53@28 Stalker recurve, Beman shaft with Simmons shark head. Total arrow weight 550 grains.
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
15yd on deer and javelina, 30yd on a chipmunk, 39yd on a groundhog, 40yd on a squirrel, 60yd on a bird, and 150yd on a ground mole.

The mole was quite by accident. I was out in the hay field shooting arrows up in the air and noticed blood on my arrow when I pulled it from the ground.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
63 steps on a blue grouse.  40+ on a hog that had been wounded by a compound guy in the group I was in. 23 steps on an unwounded unaware whitetail.  Most of mine are 10-18 steps. I love the 10-12 step shots, never messed one of those up.

Chris

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
26 or 27 yards on the bull I shot this year. See avatar for details  :readit:
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
I've only shot at a couple deer over 20 yards. Killed them both. I had a buck and a doe come across a field to me where I sat in stand in a finger of woods. I was over 21' high in the stand cause it was almost at the base of a small ridge and I was only 5' higher than a deer 20 yards away. The doe came down low to my left and I shot her at about 12 yards while the buck was up on the high trail. I knew he was over 20 so took the closer shot on the doe. He just stood there watching while the doe ran off. When I looked back at him and saw him just standing there, I just nocked an arrow and shot him.
A liitle bit later my hunting buddy comes over and I tell him I shot 2. He says where were they standing? I tell him the doe was standing right where he was. Where was the buck? I tell him to go up the hill. As he moves up the hill, he keeps looking at me saying "here?' He starts looking at me funny as I keep motioning him away. When I finall stopped him, he looked at me like I was crazy. My average shot on deer is under 11 yards in 35+ years of bowhunting. The buck was 27 yards and I believe I made the shot cause he was almost same level with me.
 Longest kill was a rabbit at 42 yards and a groundhog at 36 yards. Small game is easierm to shoot at long range cause if you hit you usually kill. I won't take that kind of shot on a big game animal.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roger Norris:
Some pretty long shots on small game, but I don't think I have ever shot at a big game animal beyond 20 yards.

Just to clarify why....perfect heart/lung shot placement isn't critical on a rabbit....it is on a deer.
AMEN!  I keep my whitetail shots to 25 or less but practice out to 80 yards on stumps and 3-D.  

A rabbit gives up the ghost easily - not so deer (or squirrels).  But it seems at 25 yards you either hit or cleanly miss a squirrel.  If you do wound one the arrow usually slows it down for a coup de mercì with the spine of a knife to the neck or a second arrow.

Being a squirrel must not be the worst way to make a living because they do seem to hang on to life tenaciously.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2013, 11:00:00 PM »
I killed a coyote right at 40 once.  made a perfect shot as well.  complete luck.
is it September yet??

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2013, 12:05:00 AM »
My first traditional deer was a long shot, over 35 yards. I hit her in the gut and thankfully found her. All my shots on deer have been between 15-35 otherwise. I haven't been blessed with those close shots since going to traditional gear in 2008.
Ironically, the only 2 deer I have wounded/lost have been my closest shots, one of them was straight down with a compound-my first deer, we found her several days later about 1/4 mile away, the shot was great idk what happended.

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2013, 07:30:00 AM »
I don't think that's a question a gentleman asks a stick shooter.  Now my closest has been about 10 feet straight down.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2013, 08:03:00 AM »
closest was 8 feet on ground...I was in myrtle cluster, doe walked beside it.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2013, 08:06:00 AM »
Ron W...he was near a feeder we have across the pond. Wide open back yard kind of thing. I would periodically shoot at them as my bow set up was near point on at that distance. Actually got two like that. There were many misses before there was a kill. But it was fun watching the arrows fly over the pond....sort of an enhanced Muzzy shot at White #1.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©