3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Yours furthest kill shot!?!  (Read 1418 times)

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Yours furthest kill shot!?!
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
LOL, awesome shot on that mole David. I dont think I could have heard him at that distance, LOL.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mike Gerardi:
43 yrds on a Montana Gopher. Then my buddy Doug hit one at 53 yrds.
Would that be Doug Campbell? I killed one shooting along with him at 62 yards.....those gofers are too much fun.  Oh yeah....that was the day my arrows made a big impression on him....he's been shooting them since
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
My first, and longest, bow kill was @20 yards on a 10 point buck. I have only killed a few others, and they were more like 12 to 15 yards. I would like to be consistent at 25 yards, but that is quite a distance for me, so I may not ever achieve that goal. I barely missed a coyote once at nearly 60 yards. I knew the odds against the shot were great, but I just don't like coyotes.
Sam

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
I had a doe a couple years ago that I was determined to take out of the gene pool. She had buggered and stomped for 3 mornings causing me much aggravation. I pin wheeled her at 40 steps from the base of my tree. She sure looked surprised. I think it was  lesson for the rest of her kin as they have been fairly well mannered since that day.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
63 steps on a whitetail doe in 1973. I shot a lot of field round archery back then and long shots were a lot longer than today.

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2013, 10:07:00 AM »
Many years ago I took a point on shot at a sleepy buck that was looking away. It was standing on a badger dig that I had shot at many times across a pond. The Wasp broadhead lost one blade in the hide, one in a rib and just a piece of the remaining blade survived to go through the deers heart. The next time I tried a long shot was very similar, a round bail of oats. I shot at it everyday for a month when I rounded a corner. One day a large doe was feeding on it. I took a point on shot with my 90 pound bow, the shot looked perfect. The doe took two steps when arrow was in flight and the arrow cut a couple of hairs off of her tail. I died ten deaths when I saw that doe move. Never again, the shorter the better on deer.  My longest shot was a ground shot, way over point on, at a pheasant. I am not sure how it happened, but I think I missed my mark by quite a bit and a gust of wind pushed the arrow into the pheasant.

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
I killed a running jackrabbit at 33 yards.

I missed him sitting at about 15 yards just a few seconds before....

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
My first elk was at 38 paces, so maybe 30 yards.. I was very new to archery.  The elk was down hill standing broad side with his head behind a tree. The sun was behind me and it was in dark timber. A beam of sun light was lighting him up like a spot-light. 55# 21 century long bow and a two blade zwicky. Awesome 100 yard blood  trail. It was a couple of miles to the truck and I was alone.  it was a miserable 24 hours getting that elk out.. Who knew you could de-bone an elk?!?
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
I shoot instinctive so I don't give it much thought I just focus on the spot but I want to hit.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
45 yards on a spike elk.  I had been following bugling and the spike was a rear guard.  He saw me and I could tell he was about to take off and would probably take the herd with him.  I kept thinking "I can take him", and decided to try.  Double lung shot and he was down in about 50 yards.  Bow was a 63# Bighorn that I used for 15 years.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
1972 North Dakota mule deer 65 yards, double lunged.

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
4600 miles (approximately) A nice sized hog in florida. (several pigs  actually)

:laughing:
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
1972, 45 yards on a walking buck. I put the broadhead on his nose and let fly. No apologies, I was 28 years old and a big NFAA field round competitor then.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Tox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
Mule deer at 76 yards with a compound. Took up the longbow right afterwards. 15 yards with a longbow on a mule deer. I get a much bigger rush from getting close to deer than making "long" shots.
We use inefficient tools by choice, precisely because they are inefficient. Making them more efficient defies our original intentions.
Dave Sigurslid.

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
Like Denny said I shot several deer at 40 plus yards back in the day when it was acceptable at least to my group. Now days 15 is about it unless it just feels perfect then maybe 25.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
25 yards on a whitetail complete pass through with a 45# recurve.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
killed a black bear at 30, and a deer at 28

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
Deer - passthrough at 28 yards. I did not realize it was that far till I paced it off.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:

Originally posted by Mike Gerardi:
43 yrds on a Montana Gopher. Then my buddy Doug hit one at 53 yrds.
Would that be Doug Campbell? I killed one shooting along with him at 62 yards.....those gofers are too much fun.  Oh yeah....that was the day my arrow dynamics made a big impression on him....he's been shooting them since [/b]
Yes Sir. That would be him. prob covered some of the same ground as you Terry. I think Doug has enough Arrow Dynamic shafts to last two life times.  Shooting gophers got in my blood real quick that trip.

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2013, 10:39:00 PM »
When I was a teenager, I shot a buck walking along the opposite side of a ravine I was hunting. I had been taking long shots at squirrels all day long (and missing, I might add), and when that buck walked by, I thought to myself he looked as big as a hereford bull. I really didn't think about the distance until after I had put an arrow right in the sweet spot. He made a couple of leaps and stood there looking around, confused, until he fell over and rolled down toward the creek, dead as a hammer.

When I finally calmed down, I realized just how far the shot was. I paced of 30 steps down to the creek, 4 across, and 25 back up to my arrow, which had stuck into the bank behind the buck. This was way before any range finders, but I figure the shot was around 42-45 yards.

Looking back, there is no way on this earth I'd take that shot today, even though I'm a lot better now than I was then. Aside from that, I've shot a squirrel or two over 40 steps. For deer, 23 yards.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©