3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: FMJ's & Thunderchild.  (Read 535 times)

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
FMJ's & Thunderchild.
« on: December 05, 2013, 08:10:00 AM »
So I received my first Thunderchild in september and have really enjoyed it. I really is an unbelievable little bow. The bows specs are 54" and right at 50 lbs at my draw. I have been shooting 28" heritage 150's with 50gr inserts and 125gr heads. These seem to shoot pretty well, but feel like I can get a little more out of it. I have heard great things about the FMJ's but have never shot them myself and really wanted to get some of you alls opinion on them. I was considering trying the 400 at 28" with 75gr brass HIT inserts with a 125gr head. What do you guys think??

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: FMJ's & Thunderchild.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
I would give the 500 spine a try.  They are awesome arrows very straight and have good weight to them.

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
Widow,

even with 200gr up front that would be what you recommend? Ive always shot carbon express so I will take your word on it.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 09:19:00 AM »
Load-up the front of your 150's and see how they fly.  I shoot GT 35/55's cut to 29" from low 50's bows with 250-285gr up front and they fly great.

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 11:38:00 PM »
A 150 heritage is a .471 spine I think you would be better off with a 500 spine than a 400.  Also the hit insert sticks pretty far down in the shaft acting like an internal foot and stiffening the shaft slightly.

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »
Thanks buddy, that makes sense to me. Think im going to go ahead and order 6 from three rivers to start with, and add on after that.

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »
I also would suggest the 500's and although we sell them and I have shot them, I think their axis is a better arrow.

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
I would listen to Jim, he knows a thing or three
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
Jim, I have the FMJ's and love 'em, .... but have never tried the Axis. Why do you feel they are a better arrow?
Will
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline bucksakemmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
I shot the FMJ and the Axis..I agree with Big Jim Go with the Axis, much better shaft..

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Widowdoublelung:
A 150 heritage is a .471 spine I think you would be better off with a 500 spine than a 400.  Also the hit insert sticks pretty far down in the shaft acting like an internal foot and stiffening the shaft slightly.
Right on...same for either FMJ and Axis
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
I shot the axis in my wheel bow but switched to the FMJ's a couple years ago in preparation for an elk hunt.  I have  never looked back.  I love those shafts.  I have been using a 500 spine with my 47# recurve with 200 grains up front.  Flight is very nice.  One thing with the Axis is that they are very durable.
T ZZZZ

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
"One thing with the Axis is that they are very durable."

I've read the same about the FMJ's.
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
A footed axis is indestructible.  A fmj shaft can  bend, and axis will not.  They are both great shafts and I shoot them both but I would give the durability to an axis.

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
Out of my 55# Montana my FMJ 400's fly perfect with a 50 grain insert and a 125 grain Stinger.  Out of my 55# Dorado those same shafts seem a bit weak.

The spine charts put me at the edges of 400's with that much point weight as well.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
I'm just curious because so many people are suggesting the 500's for what is a similar set-up to mine.

Does it seem crazy that I felt like the 400's were on the verge of being too weak for my Dorado?  

I draw right around 27" and have my shafts cut to 29".
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 11:34:00 PM »
If you get the right spine and tune properly, you can get any arrow to fly great. The FMJ's don't fly better because they are FMJ's. They can definitely be bent.
Wheel guys love them because they don't have nearly as many misses or miss hits as trad guys and most don't shoot nearly as many arrows as we do either. therefore we are much more apt to bend the fmj's.

Besides, it is not an advantage to have heavy shafts in carbon (really any material). If you put the necessary weight up front of the proper spine and length shaft, it will fly and penetrate so much better than distributing the weight across the length of the shaft.

I hear guys say all the time that they don't buy in to that E F O C and that is their prerogative. After all, they have been doing it a certain way their whole life and I guess that makes it the only right way.

BigJIm

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »
Coach, there is likely something else going on there. I have seen shafts bear shaft perfectly only after bouncing off of the outside of the shelf.

The Dorado is a aluminum riser that can be adjusted to shoot just about any arrow. It is cut way past center and not shot off the shelf....if I remember correctly.

"must be the right shaft because it flies true". Somethings can be very deceiving.

BigJim

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 11:48:00 PM »
Thanks BigJim.

I shoot it off the shelf.  I've built it out a ways to center shot (or pretty near).  They fly pretty well, but it just seemed like the flew better out of my Montana.  I've also wondered if it could just be a result of my recurve being less forgiving of my inadequacies as a shooter than my longbow is.

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 11:50:00 PM »
Thanks BigJim.

I shoot it off the shelf.  I've built it out a ways to center shot (or pretty near).  They fly pretty well, but it just seemed like the flew better out of my Montana.  I've also wondered if it could just be a result of my recurve being less forgiving of my inadequacies as a shooter than my longbow is.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©