3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: letting them walk  (Read 473 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
letting them walk
« on: December 05, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
As many of you heard, I retired a few months ago.  I had been working for a federal agency for the last 36 years, a lot of it in travel status, or involved in "stuff" that did not allow me to just pick up and go hunting whenever I wanted.  Now, I got to go, as much as I could, but it had always carried a bit of need or urgency with it.  Not sure I can get off again this week,   shoot shoot shoot.

I hunt public properties almost exclusively.  I have a favorite that includes mostly marshland with some uplands too.  I like being there, deer or not.

In the past, with my self imposed urgency, I tended to shoot what came by and thank the Gods for that opportunity.

This year, I shot a doe right away, then waited for an opportunity at a larger buck.  So far that has not happened, but in the interim, I let a lot of deer walk.  I am talking deer inside of 15 yards and half inside of 10 yards.  Many of those, including 3 smallish bucks, were within 10 (or less) yards while I was on the ground in my ghillie suit or Asbel plaid wool.

I am still a bit overwhelmed by letting the deer walk, and by not filling my SD tag or my MI tag (yet) because of it, but it was a neat experience, and I got to hunt that much more. Lots of neat things to see in the woods when you slow down and watch it.

Still a few weeks of season left.  May still fill a tag or two.  For certain, I will be out in the woods again as soon as all that orange goes away.

ChuckC

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: letting them walk
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
I hear you. With retirement came more time to be in the woods, and I have let countless deer pass that if I was on more of a timeline, I might have taken. It is great to be able to immerse yourself in the outdoor experience, knowing that tomorrow you can do it all over again if you so choose.

I haven't killed an elk since I retired, but I have spent many days in their pursuit, and lots of summer days watching them do what elk do. To be able to spend lots of time in elk country is a blessing, whether or not I bring home some steak.

When I was working, there were years where I didn't hunt; it was just too hard to work it into the schedule. With retirement, my time in the back country was multiplied, and my life has been the better for it.

Enjoy the freedom that retirement brings, and good luck finding a big buck.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
As you are retired for a longer time, the sense of urgency to fill the tag quickly will diminish. Your internal timetable will naturally slow down. Since you got the doe early on, meat is not an issue, therefore, you can afford to be more picky and to pass or shoot without second guessing yourself. I am much more prone to let a small buck pass than I used to be, simply because I want to take a mature buck. As your life slows down, you may take fewer deer, if that becomes your choice, but you will really be in a position to enjoy the woods in a more leisurely manner.
Sam

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
I like hunting A LOT more than I like killing, dragging, and butchering.  No need to complete the season too early.  Killing only fills the freezer for me and does nothing for the memories .......  unless it's with my sons.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
I let lots of deer walk at close range, if I have meat in the freezer. I like to say I "could have easily killed that deer". However; I know that in the real world, not every deer that comes within 15 yards, can be taken. Sometimes the deer will catch you drawing the bow, or hear you move into position.

Something always seems to happen that you don't expect, and the closer the deer; the bigger the chance that things can happen.

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
I let at least 7 smaller bucks walk that were within 15 yards, to be honest, I was horn hunting. One little four point was in front of me for quite some time. I watched him eat hemlock boughs and then yank mushrooms off of a rotten log. If I had shot him, I wouldn't have seen the different foods they consume. Not that I'll be looking for mushrooms on a log as a food plot, but it was interesting. BTW, I don't think he really liked the 'shrooms, they looked a bit tough, but he gobbled them up. When no acorns are around, they have to find something to fill the belly.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 11:44:00 AM »
I have 30 yrs in my job and look forward to the day I retire and slow down. Many things to see when you take the time. Good luck on filling those tags.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
Letting deer walk is new to me too.

I have passed deer up before, many times, but for different reasons. These days, my two sons are experienced and deadly deer hunters. The freezer WILL get some filling by somebody.

Deer numbers are poor in many places in Michigan...the extra tags available probably should not be filled, this is a fact. SO, with this in mind, "our share" of the venison that comes to my house will usually be killed by my kids.

I (we) did some extensive travelling to find deer thus far in 2013. As hunters, we can get a feel for how many deer are in a given area, and places that held good numbers we concentrated on.

I passed SEVERAL opportunities at deer, and blew it on a dandy buck. It is a strangely satisfying experience to pass a deer when opportunities like that were normally taken advantage of.

I won`t pretend that killing a deer is not important to me, and I hope I get a chance at a buck during late season.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
i pass on a lot of deer. You can't kill a bigun if your drawing on a little one.

BAB
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
Yep, I started hunting mature deer quite a while ago.  To kill a big one, you have to let the little ones walk. Where I hunt, one buck is the limit, so holding out for a mature buck allows a lot more time in the woods.  Of course, that sometimes means I end up with tag soup. Can also shoot a doe on an archery tag where I hunt, but there are few deer there so I don't.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
I like to keep my one buck tag in my pack for as long as possible hoping for the "deer of a lifetime" to come by (finally). To date I've always been satisfied with a smaller buck or no buck when the season is about finished.

I will readily admit that from time to time a plan comes together so well and the situation so perfect that I am happy to shoot another "basket rack".

The firearms season has come and gone so there are about 130,000 fewer deer in the herd today than a month ago. About 70,000 of those "fewer" are bucks.

However, a good friend once reminded me, "the deer I'll be after next year is still alive right now".  

I'm glad to kill Does for mine and my childrens' freezers.

I've retired from one job I loved and will (God willing) do it again in about 5-6 years. My time hunting has rarely been impacted by work. I was (and still can) always able to find time -- I worked ahead and caught up quick.

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
It is highly unlikely you will ever shoot a big buck if you shoot the first so-so buck that walks past you.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
You fellas obviously see a lot more deer than I do......LOL! I had 2 shots this year and missed and for me that's a fabulous year.   :dunno:   But I'm glad retirement is working out for you, I know I like it.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
I pass on lots of deer, bucks and does.  I try to let the small guys grow up.  Sometimes, I don't feel like dragging a deer out of the woods and just enjoy the show.  Last year I passed on a doe with triplets-after all the hard work she had done, I didn't have the heart to shoot her. Other times, I feel like killing something.  One of the best things about retirement is that I go hunting when I want to.  If the weather's right, I go.  If the weather's not to my liking, I wait for a better day.  Before retiring, I usually had to hunt when I could.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
As Sam Mc wrote. I retired in 2000 at the age of 51 after working for a government agency for 25 years 3 days and 6 hours.  I hunted hard the first few years and took a few deer.  Lately I just go in the woods and sit.  Let the few deer we see for the grandkids.

Any other retirees noticed how fast life is going by???

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
Jon.......way to fast.........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
Well I retired after 30 yrs with the Federal Govt. but went back to work as a contractor the following week.  This coming SEP I am going to hang it up for good just in time for the 2014 hunting season.  I have a WY antelope and CO mule deer hunt already planned.  Might even row in a little fly fishing on the Green River UT in between the hunts.
T ZZZZ

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by SELFBOW19953:
I pass on lots of deer, bucks and does.  I try to let the small guys grow up.  Sometimes, I don't feel like dragging a deer out of the woods and just enjoy the show.  Last year I passed on a doe with triplets-after all the hard work she had done, I didn't have the heart to shoot her. Other times, I feel like killing something.  One of the best things about retirement is that I go hunting when I want to.  If the weather's right, I go.  If the weather's not to my liking, I wait for a better day.  Before retiring, I usually had to hunt when I could.
We think alike. Filling tags isn't everything in life.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jon Stewart:
As Sam Mc wrote. I retired in 2000 at the age of 51 after working for a government agency for 25 years 3 days and 6 hours.  I hunted hard the first few years and took a few deer.  Lately I just go in the woods and sit.  Let the few deer we see for the grandkids.

Any other retirees noticed how fast life is going by???
It's hard to believe that I have been retired for 4 years, 1 month, and 5 days, and I'm 64 years young   :jumper:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
Had an eye opener last week during rifle season. I'm turning 70 in Jan and still hunt the marshes for Sika deer in MD wearing hip boots all day. Made it to the back of the marsh three days last week but with the aid of a bamboo walking stick to help with the balance in the water and mud. Also dragged (floated out) two Sika does tied together shot by my friend. Took us 4 hours to get 3 deer out of there. He's in his late 40s.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©