3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advise me  (Read 546 times)

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
Advise me
« on: December 05, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
I have bum shoulders and my 55# bear kodiak Mag is just too much. With my compounds I have a 28.5 DL and shoot just 50 pounds. I really want to kill a deer with a stick bow and was thinking I may be able to handle 40 pounds well enough to practice and hunt with. Is 40 enough?
Is it deer season yet?

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advise me
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
Yes.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
Absolutely. With the right set-up, well tuned arrows and sharp BH's, a 40# bow is plenty for deer size game.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »
Yep!

Great thread on this a couple of weeks ago.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »
Yes, when I was working on form I killed 4 deer in a fall with a 40# bow. One arrow was a 20 yd shot that broke the front leg bone in half entering and it still got a pass through. I'm not suggesting that I would try that again...it just shows that arrows are heavy and carry some real energy.

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
I may hae to try and find someone with a 40 pounder. Is there any bow recomendations to look for?   I know compounds thats it.
Is it deer season yet?

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
My wife shoots a 41 pound longbow with a 26" draw. She shoots the 125 woodsman and has no problem with deer or hogs. She shot a 150 pound sow this year and got a pass through.

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
Another option might be a longer AMO bow that Kodiak magnum at 52" and 55# may not be as handle-able as a 55# bow at 62-66" AMO I prefer 62-68" recurves. If you definitely have to drop weight keep those longer bows in mind any-way you may be able to find some middle ground and not have to drop all the way down. I've never hunted with a 40# bow but I'm sure the guys here wouldn't mis-lead you so you can feel confident in what they tell you.
SAVE A STUMP SHOOT A DEER

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
Be sure to check your local regulations.  Some state specify a minimum draw weight.

40# should be fine - but you want a very smooth arrow flight and a very sharp broadhead.  Minimal fishtailing or porpoising.  That robs penetration.

I have a set of 40# limbs for my Wing Presentation II and I would not hesitate to hunt with it.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
yepper
is it September yet??

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 12:46:00 AM »
so a longer bow could be easier on the shoulder?
Is it deer season yet?

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 04:39:00 AM »
You cold also try a static tip recurve. They draw extremely smooth.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 05:04:00 AM »
No problem
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 06:35:00 AM »
A longer bow to me seems to be smoother drawing and more forgiving of minor form errors.  I simply seem to shoot them a little better.  But I don't know that a longer bow is going to be any different for your bum shoulders.  A lighter bow certainly would help.  

Whether you need to go all the way down to 40# only you can say, but that sure would be enough weight to hunt deer sized game with a well tuned arrow and a good broadhead.

Just about any bowyer can build a bow in any weight you desire.  You can also watch the classifieds here and eventually come up with one.   The lighter weight bows seem to be getting more and more popular though, so it might take some looking to find exactly what you want.  

Also, you would need to be a contributing member here in order to use the classifieds.  A $30 contribution opens that door, and is well worth it to find some great deals on used bows.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 07:12:00 AM »
40#'s is more than enough. It is all about shot placement.  I had Steve Turay make me a 40# Northern Mist Baraga long bow years back.  I have killed many deer with it including a doe using a wood arrow with a stone  hunting point.

I am now making self bows and I get them down to 40# to 44#'s.

Used light weight bows are out there. Look for a used Bear, Browning or Shakespeare.  They are all good bows to shoot.  Maybe someone at your local archery club has a bow you can try or use.

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 07:15:00 AM »
You might think about trying it lefty, if your right shoulder is bum...I have seen threads with guys that have done it.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
Yes. 40# is enough with a heavier ( 12gpp+) arrow at 15 or so yds with a well tuned setup tipped with a cut on contact narrower 2 blade head.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »
Yep! Just use well tuned gear pushing a very sharp arrow. If you place the shot properly, you will be fine. I look forward to hearing more about your exploits.
Sam

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
I would try BOTH avenues of suggestions ..... a longer bow @ 40 pounds. Magnus Stingers on FMJ's.
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Flying Dutchman:
You cold also try a static tip recurve. They draw extremely smooth.
I agree. And 40# is legal here in Iowa. I have recently aquired a Toelke Chinook, which has a very smooth draw as well...very similar to my static recurve Orion. My Kanati is also incredibly smooth and fast. There is a 44# Kanati in the classifieds now. You would be amazed how much dropping 11 pounds will do to help your shoulder. When I was having issues with mine, I stuck with my 46# Kanati and experience zero shoulder pain. I've now worked my way back up to comfortably shooting my 50# bows, but I don't know that I'd be able to go back up to 55#.

Note that all my bows are 58" or less, except my self-made longbow. They don't have to be long to be smooth, nor do they have to be heavy to eliminate hand shock. I think my Kanati weighs around 12 ounces and has absolutely no hand shock.

Too bad you are a couple hours away, or I'd let you try the Kanati. If you ever get to North Central Iowa, give me a shout.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©