3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I need help  (Read 414 times)

Offline Branpoes

• Trad Bowhunter
I need help
« on: December 06, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
I'm shooting a 50 lb bear grizzly. My draw is 27 inches.  I bought a carbon arrow test kit from 3 rivers along with a point test kit.   I thought I was getting dialed in and went ahead and purchased some arrows.  Heritage 150s with 250 grain points.  For whatever reason, my arrows seem to hit and group well, but always with the nock slightly to the right.  I read that this means I either need weaker arrows or more point weight so I put in 100 gr brass inserts and even with a total of 350 grains up front, still nock right.  What else could cause this?  I shoot 3 under if it matters.  The same arrows with flu flu's fly like darts and I'd like my regular fletchings to do the same.  What can I do? Thanks

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I need help
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
well i use gold tip 3555 with 125GRN head and 5" fletch and i am shooting a #50 horse bow  @ 27" draw and i have no problem with that set up i suggest  you give them a try just buy 3 if ya don't like em hey no biggie. as for your problem it could be your release or arrow shelf check to see if you have it packed out right if not pack out some more if to much take some off the strike plate material hope this helps ya oh sorry forgot what does the bare shaft do is it nock left or nock right
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
What does the bare shaft due?
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Branpoes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »
Bare shafts go slight right as well.  What would I look for as far as strike plate adjustments?  I'm not familiar with packing out.

Offline Branpoes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »
I meant arrow shelf, not strike plate.

Offline Gump21Bravo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »
Length of arrow your shooting?

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
If bare shafts impact right of fletched for a right hander your weak. Back up to 25 yds and check bare shaft with fletched. Get your knock point correct. Stiffen arrow by either less point weight, shorter arrow or build out strike plate a little at a time, if your close lower brace height. I like my bareshafts just slightly weak, 1-2" at 20 yds. Before you cut shaft verify weak with less point weight.

Your target butt may be directing the shaft to left give a nock leaning right. Go with what the bare shaft tells you. Not just one shot but multiple. Easy to influence a bare shaft with form errors.

Offline BuckeyeGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
Bran, if you are real close to getting it to fly true adjust your brace height some.  That is usually my final tweak to get them just right for me.  If you think it's weak then increase your brace height a 1/2" and see what it does for you.  Just a guess.  Good luck.

Offline Branpoes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
Gump, I'm 1 inch shorter than full length, whatever that is.  

Kat, I may have worded this wrong, but my impact point seems good.  It's Just that the arrow is slightly angled on entry with the nock going right.

Buckeye, if brace height needs a 1/2 inch, about how many twists would that be?  Or do I need one of those nock point/ brace rulers to be sure.

Thank you guys for the quick responses.  I'd love to hunt with this bow, and know I can hit good out to 12 yards.  But I'm not willing to hunt until I get my arrows flying true for good penetration.

Offline Branpoes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
Guys one more thing, I'm definitely not ruling out a form/release issue.  If anyone has thoughts on that, I'm all ears.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
You can measure brace with a ruler or tape measure as long as you know how you did it and can repeat it for consistency.

Just start twisting up about 4 twists each time and shoot it, it is no more complicated then that.

OL Adcock who had a very good tuning technique posted, I think its on acs site now, said not to pay attention to the nock only impact point.  http://www.acsbows.com/bowtuning.html

Another thought, if you have string silencers on you can move them a little closer, try 1/2", to the bow tips or trim a little off to lighten for fine adjustments.

Sounds like your real close, shoot field point with broadhead for final adjustments. I know my 250gr VPA 3 blades weaken the dynamic spine a little.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 12:26:00 AM »
for a RH, if you are getting arrows hitting right of the spot, make sure your nocks are not too tight, and the string is on the low side.
I will refer you to a sponsors suggestion of tuning, rather than explaining.

http://elitearrows.com/proper-arrow/
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©