3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody else starting to forget?  (Read 960 times)

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
Anybody else starting to forget?
« on: December 06, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
It's been so long since I've seen a deer hunting I'm struggling to remember what they look like. I heard this one grunt today and sensed it was a buck…

But I seem to remember them having antlers.. Hmm…

All joking aside I haven't seen many deer all year, it's killing me.
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody else starting to forget?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
You're not alone. Since Oct 1st I've seen a total of  5 deer while hunting this year.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
I'ts been pretty light for me as well.  Had a nice eight point come in below my right elbow while I was in my treestand - and from the ONLY direction I couldn't twist to get a shot.  He stood there for two minutes inside 20 yards and then turned and left the way he came.  Aaaargh!

Now I wish I hadn't passed on the spike and doe I had pretty "gimmie" shots on the first two days of the season.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »
Those things are tied to deer? Oh crap I have seen a number of those things.  Truefully, I have seen about half of those things  this year than ever before.

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
Thought this was a local problem in my area it sounds like things are tough all over.
SAVE A STUMP SHOOT A DEER

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 11:22:00 PM »
Public land in PA here. We are lucky to have 1 or 2 buck sightings per year.
I wondered when the rest of the country would start to catch up to us with herd reduction. It makes traditional archery hunting very difficult for killing a buck.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »
We got more deer on our archery range than I'm seeing where I have permission to hunt out on the plains and I'm not joking one bit. I think our range covers about 8 acres and theres 5 fawns and 3 does living in there full time and the occasional buck or two coming in to bother the girls occasionally. Some goofus actually called our club's publicly listed phone number and complimented us on our authentic looking animatronic targets, lol!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 01:29:00 AM »
I was seeing deer...fairly regular on the farm, but mostly late evening, and was catching tons on the trailcam just after sunset through the first of November. Everyday I would at least a few, or spook some going or coming from stand. Then about a week into rifle season opening around us they vanished. Even the number of deer on the trailcam is down to nearly nothing. It's like they literally went underground. Spotted one on a fence line 150 yards away at dusk last night, and I felt lucky for that.

Tim
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline jean-vincent

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 02:15:00 AM »
deer ... deer ... was does that look like ..????   :confused:
jack of all trades , master of none !!
 http://lames-de-jv.e-monsite.com/

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 04:28:00 AM »
you guys think you got it Bad ha i've been diagnosed with C.R.S can't remember s..t   :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 07:27:00 AM »
I've had that angle on them a few times myself this season!  :biglaugh:
SWA Spyder

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
I've had two encounters with them this year in the day light the only other has been on the way to my spot in the dark. I've not seen one buck in the last several years and it was a spike I passed early this season cause he was wired. Is it bad to sit In your stand and just pray for anything without spots? lol or a big slow squirrel?  :bigsmyl:
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »
Mike, along with forgetting, growing feeble and slowing down,I have also stopped listening for the sound of bucks grunting because there are starting to be too many similar competing sounds emanating from somewhere just behind me.....  I think they are following me.

ChuckC

Offline canuck4570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
well here to
where I go hunting in Quebec I use to stumble on deers and now its turkeys mmmmmm

I saw a documenterey about your HOG population and they said that it had a bad effect on deer population

what do you think?

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
I have averaged 1 deer sighting every 5 hours this year.  I have yet to have one I could shoot at.  Early in the year, I had 3 in range but wasnt aboe to turn around for a shot.

Now the deer are Nocturnal 100% where I have access to hunt.  It seems the neioghbors think driving every inch of ground for 2 weeks with or without permission and wounding 6 deer/ killing 2 and missing 8, is a good thing.  When they talk about it, they brag about their shooting skills but openly tell you about wounding all these animals.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline the elf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 11:53:00 AM »
I have an antlers only permit---and the last one I saw in bow season was about the size of a spaniel dog it was that far away.

And in rifle season all I have seen is no antlers. They know---I don't know how-- but they know [lol].

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 11:54:00 AM »
I have to look at pics on Trad Gang to see what they look like . This is year 2 for me of no deer .
I cant remember ; you can eat them too cant you ?
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 12:15:00 PM »
Remember back when the news media was pushing the idea of feeding deer food that would be the same as birth control? The PETA people thought that was the right thing. I have been told that many times things happen in secret long before we are told about it. I do not think that the lack of deer has all that much to do with how many have been shot around here, because not that many get shot around here.  My farmer friends that hunt are having moral problems with some of the chemicals they have used.  They have found dead birds after spraying beans. The mites in the stock pond water got some in some areas, but the stock ponds tested where I hunt had no problems.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »
We certainly have fewer deer in certain areas of Michigan because of the disease kill last year, but we still have deer. They just aren't parading around in the daytime. Every single picture I have on a trail cam that has been out since before bow season has been nocturnal.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »
Well, I remember growing up in Brooklyn, N.Y.C, N.Y. and when we heard gun shots, we didn't go out either.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©