3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: building a knife??????  (Read 387 times)

Offline matt matney

• Trad Bowhunter
building a knife??????
« on: September 11, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
How are you guys getting the bevel on the blade even?  I'm using a disk/belt sader and i'm trying to free hand it and I can't get even.  Help please.  I'm using 1/8" stainless steel stock.

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: building a knife??????
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
I start with a bench grinder and then go to a file. Takes a while. I think alot of guys use the belt sander.
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline matt matney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »
geno,  
Are you using some type of jig or free handing it

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 04:12:00 AM »
I use a 1" vertical belt sander & a LOT of patience!  :D

It probably took me 50 blades worth of bad grinds before it started to come together properly.

It really is a case of practice makes perfect (& even now I'll still get the occasional bad 'un)
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline NativeArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 05:30:00 AM »
Im going to watch this thread for tips. I just started trying my hand at making knives and was wondering the same thing. So far the one I did was by hand with a file, thank goodness it was a short blade. just go slow and be careful....matty
"how many bows do you need".my wife
Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you , as I gave the green plant. Genesis 9:3

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 06:10:00 AM »
Try a scandanavian grind.  It is basically a v shaped wedge for a bevel.  Then if you want to make it convex, use a slack belt.  Use a rough grit to get the basic shape, ie 80 or 120. Mark the edge of your blade with a majic marker, this makes it easy to see where you are sanding. I don't have any experience with hollow grinds.

Offline RGK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 06:34:00 AM »
It really is a practice makes perfect issue. I freehand all my grinds. A one inch vertical belt sander is a good way to go.
Member: WI Bowhunters Association
Member: WI Traditional Archers
Member: American Broadhead Collectors Club
Member: Sherwood Forest Bowmen

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 07:11:00 AM »
I use a 2" belt grinder with 72" long belts, but I started with a belt sander.  Mine are all freehand...practice, practice, practice  :thumbsup:  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 07:52:00 AM »
I have hollow ground a couple using a standard 6" bench grinder.  Takes a lot of patience and go slow to get it even.  Then remove grinding marks with progressively finer wet/dry sandpaper, then polish.  Then put on edge.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 08:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by tippit:
I use a 2" belt grinder with 72" long belts, but I started with a belt sander.  Mine are all freehand...practice, practice, practice   :thumbsup:   Doc
Curse you and your beautiful, wonderful, good Lord I want one, KMG grinder!  :D  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline matt matney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
Thanks guys this is my first try at it and it is whipping my tail.  By the time i get it right theres not going to be a blade left.

Offline Tom Krein

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 08:34:00 AM »
I would like to recommend a very good book to you guys starting out.  The book is How to make Knives by Loveless, Barney and Moran.  You can get it at Amazon pretty cheaply.

This is a great book and shows three different ways to make knives.  Stock removal, forging and without power tools.  The last will help you guys the most.  Lots of good information in this book!!  

I would also suggest you guys use good steel.  You can get a bar of 1/8" X 1 1/2 X 36" surface ground O-1 pretty dang cheap and it will save you a LOT of head ache.

Once you can make a knife using files and sandpaper you will be ready to start using the power machines.  They are not better, just a little faster.  They can also mess up your stuff pretty fast.

Feel free to ask IF I can help.

Tom

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »
I agree with tom on a book. I dont know that one,but Loyd Let me borrow me one at Mojam and I refer to it often. Tom what town do you live in?
G
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline Tom Krein

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
I live in Gentry, Arkansas.  Very close to the border of Oklahoma (about 6 miles) and about 25-30 south of Missouri.  

If any of you are in the area feel free to stop by the shop.  I am here Sunday-Friday most weeks.

Call ahead to make sure I will be here.

Tom

479-233-0508 (cell)

Offline matt matney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »
Tom,  Thank you for the info on the book.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
I do mine freehand.  My first couple were with a file, then I went to a 5" disk sander, then a 1x30" belt grinder I picked up cheap (the one from Harbor Freight is even cheaper and my father loves his).
Lots of practice, that's all.

I want to be like Doc when I grow up though.  KMG grinder... I'd be in heaven!
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline NativeArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
Tom you stated:
"I would also suggest you guys use good steel. You can get a bar of 1/8" X 1 1/2 X 36" surface ground O-1 pretty dang cheap and it will save you a LOT of head ache."
just a question how good is O1 and where abouts would one get some... and sorry if hijacking thread, (didnt want to start multiple knife threads for the sake of the moderators), but if anyone had any pointers or tips for using water bufallo scales for handle materials it would be greatly appreciated.. thanks ....matty
"how many bows do you need".my wife
Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you , as I gave the green plant. Genesis 9:3

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©