3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Basement target practice  (Read 407 times)

Offline Fleatrap1

• Trad Bowhunter
Basement target practice
« on: December 08, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
Well i have moved my weekly practice shooting into my basement for the winter. I really only have room for about a seven yard shot. With some modification i may get close to ten.  I know it is best to shoot at all distances but for the next few months anyway i will be indoors.  I read somewhere that arrows shoot pretty flat within twenty yards and if i can hit well at 7 i should be ok consistant out farther. Any truth to that???  I am doing lots of form work at this point, working on consitancy more than anything.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Basement target practice
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
Now is a great time to work on form.  Where you hit at seven yards won't matter.  Don't even try to hit anything smaller than the target itself - no dots or bullseyes.  Just work on making your form as perfect as possible and that will carry over to outdoors when you get there.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Rays Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
When shooting form is always of the most importance.
I enjoy the woods taking game is the icing on the cake.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »
At close range, I prefer no target, just find a spot then another, just concentrate on form like Joe said.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
I have a large bag target in my shop/basement 5 yds from where I stand. I use this strictly for working on my form and get some practice in before I head out into the woods.

In the winter months I usually shoot 30 arrows per week to keep the muscles in tune but ALWAYS making sure my form is perfect.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
Been doing the same at about 10 yards or so. Working on keeping muscles strong, form & concentration, holding longer than normal, focused on that spot.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
I also shoot in my basement. My shot is 13 yards. Actually, I use this range all year.

I shoot blank butts mostly but sometimes I'll move a Field Logic Glendale Buck or Rinehart Coyote into the lane.

I'm still hunting though as I have a bit over a month left to introduce myself to a nice buck....or another Doe.

I practice with a purpose.  I have an 11-shot shot sequence. I make sure each is correct but most are subconscious until I anchor. Then I work on making sure the target is next to the last thing I think about. My first priority is using my back to execute the shot so I will follow-through properly.

A big challenge while performing the shot sequence is to commit and move on. In other words, once I've anchored, forget that step and go tot he next. When I've aimed, take the mind off aiming. It is more difficult than one thinks to not think about earlier steps before executing the shot.  

These days I'm also working with my 10-year old grandson who has reached the age (4th grade) for NASP now. I have him shooting from 7-10 yards. It is great that he is asking me for help (so I don't push it). He's been tinkering since 3.5 years old.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
Instead of being content to shoot less draw weight as I age I have been making a determined effort to shoot more each year...my basement shooting is mostly just to maintain the muscle conditioning I need to do that...at age 62 I can shoot over 60 pounds both right and left handed and 55 pounds all day long

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Wetfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
At 10 or less yrds I shoot bare shafts in the basement. If my form is good they group with the fletched anyways. A bag will not tell poor impacts as well as a foam target. But it is a great way to train and keep your setup in tune nonetheless Shooting blind is also a great way to practice.
Dwyer Dauntless  61#@27in
Grizzlys and Woodsmans
Oak BoardBow 52#@27in
Bear lil Brave 2 12#@19in

Offline Broke N Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 12:08:00 AM »
I live in michigan and deer season is over.. Theres 12 inches of snow on the ground and i just down wanna stop shooting..oh sure theres bunnys to hunt and ice fishing to do but I love to shoot bow..so I shoot in the basement..its finished with family room, master bedroom and bath. What i do is get back by the woodstove and shoot across the family room, thru the bedroom dr and into my bag target..about 10-11 yards.. good practice and fun..Please dont tell my wife..
   :nono:
Stand at the crossroads and look, seek for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is,and walk in it, and you will find rest for your soul....Scroll of Joshua

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 07:47:00 AM »
I shoot in my basement all winter pretty cozy beside the coal stove, ten yard shot. I hang a ping-pong ball from a string with a small screw-eye in front of a block target. One or two arrows at a time to minimize damage and we go through a lot of ping-pong balls. I do find however, that moving back outside to 20-25 yds. requires a little adjustment as that short-range sight picture is so ingrained.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 07:56:00 AM »
I practice in my basement all year long,15 yards. Keep my muscles fit and cohordination,along with improved form.
That far  doesn't make a big difference in using different bows.
It is also the first step I use for fine tune a bow,if the bare shaft show some froblems so close there is no way it will shoot good farther.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 08:09:00 AM »
Fleatrap1 If that's the only distance you can get it's fine. It's not about the distance it's all about form. Take your time and do everything correct. Pick a spot,draw, anchor,clean release, watch the arrow hit. Keep your muscles in shape so every thing becomes natural. I like my Rhineheart 18 in 1 target.Small loaded with spots to hit and they last forever. I'll bet one would be perfect in your case. If you wanted to go up in weight now would be a good time for that too. Practice makes perfect. Do everything correct.Distance will come when the weather gets nicer. Watch the pipes and breakables!

Offline jmrsyrs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »
13 yds. in the basement all winter long. Great for form and way better than not shooting at all.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©