3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: clothing smokers  (Read 625 times)

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
clothing smokers
« on: December 09, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »
if you smoke your clothing, whats your routine?

I think I'm going to try this, but not sure about the ability to smoke my clothing before every outing.
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: clothing smokers
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 02:19:00 PM »
getting them lit is always the hardest part !
   :laughing:    :dunno:  

ChuckC

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
I just stand down wind of the camp fire  :)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
i gotta climb on my icy roof, on top of my double story house, clambour  up to the chimney. and stand in the howling sou' easter, while waving my asat leafy suit around the chimney, while not trying to inhale too much of the smoke myself!
i get odd looks from my neighbour, and other passer bys. :eek:  

wife wont let me smoke my gear inside the house, she's quite unreasonable- i mean she would have all that time while i am out hunting to get it all cleaned up!   :knothead:

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
Dan, seriously, make a nice hardwood fire,  now, put a pot of coffee on, sit on the smoky side, wearing your gear (if I am there, it is where I am sitting, no matter the wind direction).  Brew the coffee, drink the coffee, and when you are done, you will have a nice warm belly and a nice smoky outfit.

ChuckC

Offline sabas silva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
I have heard of this but then what about scent free, just curious

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
Bee hive smokers,cost about $15.00-20.00. Use your favorite wood.
  http://www.amazon.com/Smoker-Stainless-Updated-Design-Protection/dp/B00D8ORVG6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386633872&sr=8-2&keywords=beehive+smoker
Smoke is the most under rated cover sent out there and natural at that.

Offline NOMAD88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
I plan on putting the campfire method to the test on some hogs the day after xmas   :thumbsup:

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
The guy I hunted with last week smokes like a chimney (cigarettes) in the tree stand too. He only shot 5 Sika deer last week.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
It works!
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
I had two bucks walk on my walk-in trail 3 weeks back. They milled around at about 10-12 yards in a swirling wind before walking out of sight. Neither of them were worried a bit until one of them saw me moving to take video. Even then they didn't bug out of the area.

I smoke my clothes whenever possible next to a regular campfire. That's all I do and it works wonders.

You may hear the argument that hounds can find you no matter what you do to cover your scent. This is a true statement. However, deer are not trying to actively trail you for a reward from their master. The smoke seems to work and settles them a good bit.

I have seen it work WAY too many times for it to be a fluke. Swirling winds at 12 yards? Two bucks standing on my walk-in trail. I didn't get busted until one of them actually saw me taking video. The video of this interaction can be seen on traditional bow hunters on Facebook. Smoking your clothes works and the video I have posted proves it. Can't argue much with video proof. Scent smoker also has a video on Youtube. I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH SCENT SMOKER IN ANY WAY. I just believe smoking your clothes works and have the video posted on Facebook to prove it.

Good Hunting,
Charlie

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
do you smoke your boots too- buckeye- or what do you do?

Offline RobinHood1389

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 12:16:00 AM »
Dee really aren't spooked by the smell of a campfire's smoke? Don't mean to sound dumb here lol
1970 Grizzly 56" 50#
Bear B mag 53#

>>>>---Kyle---->

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 08:20:00 AM »
I am skeptical as I was watching a deer hunting show awhile ago and there was a guy from the wildlife research company on. He said that they have observed deer smelling and then digging for a single kernel of corn under two feet of snow. He gave other examples as well but that one stuck with me.

I would think that if a deer can make that smell out then they should be able to discern human odor even if it is masked by smoke odor.

It probably varies by herd as well but we hunt in multi-use areas where you have mountain bikers, horse riders, and trail runners. Given all that human activity you might think that deer would be more forgiving of human scent but that has not been our observation. They are definitely able to pick out immediate vicinity scent versus residual or surrounding area.

Personally, I am willing to concede that deer will smell me no matter what so I simply play the wind. I do practice scent control but that is largely to mitigate residual scent I leave when entering or exiting a stand.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
LV2HUNT... there is a little known phenomena going on here.  The Wensel's have been researching this for a long time, but are reluctant to release the info.

Smoking your clothes makes you smell like a smoky vienna sausage, which deer love and crave.  They have been known to seek out those little buggers culminating in a few known and video'd grocery store and bar break-ins.

The problem with doing this is that you can never be certain how they will react, so please... please.. be careful and watch your back trail, especially if you had a beer with lunch and it is still on your breath.

ChuckC

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
I don't smoke my clothes intentionally, but I have a an old Franklin wood burning stove in my cabin and every now and then, a downdraft will send a little smoke into the room.  Between that and an occasional cigar, my clothes pick up a smokey smell, even though I keep them in a separate room. I don't count on it acting as a cover scent.  I don't believe that cover scents work.  I'm very careful to hunt the wind.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
LV2HUNT... there is a little known phenomena going on here.  The Wensel's have been researching this for a long time, but are reluctant to release the info.

Smoking your clothes makes you smell like a smoky vienna sausage, which deer love and crave.  They have been known to seek out those little buggers culminating in a few known and video'd grocery store and bar break-ins.

The problem with doing this is that you can never be certain how they will react, so please... please.. be careful and watch your back trail, especially if you had a beer with lunch and it is still on your breath.

ChuckC
I hear that works well with bears as well (lol)

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
I first thought that someone was smoking clothing, "I did not inhale, and my wife eats carpet." BC. I use to smoke my clothes by smoking a corn cob pipe in the car while I was heading out hunting, then keep them that way by facing the wind when I was smoking while I was hunting. Problem was I found that the hills were getting steeper so I quit smoking that pipe while I hunted and I quit inhaling when I do occasionally smoke, although MY wife does not chew on the carpeting.  I found that tobacco with deer tongue tobacco draws in deer. I do not know why they call it deer tongue, but I had a nice eight pointer come straight up my stream of smoke right into my lap. The problem was that miserable metal handled palm freezer was hanging out of reach at the time.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
I found that different kids of smoke give them different reactions. Once i changed from Camels to Winstons.... The chicks were back!

Play the wind and you'll be fine....of course feel free to blow smoke if you feel the need...   :biglaugh:

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
this thread is getting a little hazy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©