3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hog Wild @ Wild Things '13 - the Truth and nuthin' but the Truth  (Read 2460 times)

Offline Nattybumppo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog Wild @ Wild Things '13 - the Truth and nuthin' but the Truth
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »

First and foremost let me say something. I've not been around here long or a whole lot. I only recently met some of the people you guys hold dearly here and I am honored to have done so.

I've been hunting Andrew Harper's lands since sometime in 1999 including being apart of the lease BEFORE Terry and the guys got what they called the bacon strip. Andrew, his cousin Doug and I quite frankly may be related we know so many of the same people and have run around that country for so long...

In any case back on topic...

There is no place like Wild Things Lodge and Estill, SC. Here's a view that I truly enjoyed from drinking coffee to drinking whiskey.
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
And nine fellers stepped off into the woods in pursuit of something wild....

This would be my third trip into the woods of South Carolina's most beautiful landscape.   The new camp was a treat to explore during the evening after we arrived.  It features a  bunk house that reminded me more of a vacation cottage and a main house that made you want to move right in and settle down into a southern retreat from the busy world you just left.

We were near the last to arrive and everyone piled out to welcome us and help us carry in out gear.  I could tell right away this group was going to be fun to share the adventure with.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline Nattybumppo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
Day one for me- I have enjoyed hunting the low country for years. I've never killed a hog in the morning so after listening to a FEW of these guys SNORE LIKE YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD BEFORE!!! I slept in a bit. Or rather drug myself out of bed and over to breakfast... Then gradually made my way about. Andrew took Thom and I out last and dropped us off at the Turkey Foot. Thom took the center road and I the right.

I saw hog sign fresh, old, massive and light the whole road for the most part. Wallows, rubbed trees, tracks, rooting. To me it looked like the hogs were feeding mainly on acorns. And I kind of stayed on that line the whole weekend.

Towards the end of the road out to white oak stand I spotted my quarry. He was a nice one. Feeding along the edge of the road and without a care in the world.

I made my stalk. Perfect wind, light, not a sound. He just fed. Never looked up. At 10 yards or rather there abouts I got to full draw and released. I KNEW I had picked the exact hair, just perfectly in the boiler room.

Ladies and Gentlemen.

I missed.

A boone and crockett... Grey Squirrel.
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
Appetizers of humus, cheese dip, crackers, summer sausage and veggies arrived on a table by a toasty outdoor fire while our host, Andrew Harper, put the finishing touches on baked chicken, roasted taters, and carrots for a welcome dinner.  A few beverages helped everyone get acquainted and the stories began flowing.  Bows appeared from trunks and cases and the bow rack began overflowing.  The evening stretched on as plans for the morning took shape.  I would be heading for my old favorite area… the mile of pines.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Offline suburbanirma

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
Andrew dropped me off last on the first morning near a couple of clearings. One was high weeds surrounded by hardwoods and the other was a green field that had pines and hardwoods around it. There was some hog sign, especially around a feeder, although there was still corn there. I climbed up in the nearby ladder stand to test it out, and the thing was very comfortable and sturdy. After guarding the feeder for a while, I still hunted through the hardwoods back to the pickup point but didn't see any hogs. Just a gazillion squirrels. Here are pix of Day 1 morning as it turns to daylight.

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
The mile of pines is where the hogs like to hide themselves away, thinking they are safe and warm.  I worked a zigzag through the pines, into the thick scrub areas full of thorns and underbrush, into the swales and pans that usually hold hogs.  I saw little sign and no porcine creatures.  The day was warm, perhaps too warm for the hogs to go hiding into the pines.  Near noon I headed back to the camp.

I would hunt a feeder in the evening.  The feeder was located in a hardwoods fringe bordering fields on one side and the swamp on the other.  There was sign at the feeder, but no pigs showed up to enjoy the corn during my watch.  Day one had concluded without an encounter with and hogs but already I could tell I was relaxed and had forgotten worries left behind.  A good day hunting, Black Widow in hand.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
:campfire:    :campfire:    :campfire:

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
Entering the pines...looking back at the misty sunrise

Hollow based Oak.

A monarch of the cutover was spared.

Bunkhouse

Main house

Pond

TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
Day 1 - pm hunt

I, like several others, chose to sit in one of Andrew's many ladder stands across the property. The PM hunt was uneventful other than the beauty of the swamp forest and God's beautiful sunsets. Peaceful times at Wild Things are magnetic while there. I look forward to a soon return.

TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Got2strum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline suburbanirma

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
Conditions were perfect Friday afternoon for hunting. The leaves were dried out from a warm breeze and if anything was moving, I'd be able to hear it from quite a ways off. I was in a ladder stand about 12 yards away from a feeder. I was examining the inside of my eyelids when the feeder went off at @ 4:30 and I nearly jumped out of my seat. That perked me up for the remainder of my sit but nothing showed up or was close enough to hear. Andrew picked me up at 6 p.m. and then picked up the rest of the crew. We got back to camp, cleaned up and went outside for some snacking and testing of some libations. The crew shared their experiences in the woods. There were many sightings of the infamous arrow-evading squirrels but none of the legendary swamp armadillo that Todd sought. There was plenty of hog sign throughout most of the property, but the pigs stayed out of sight. They must not have gotten the memo that there was a hunt going on.

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »
I need to get down there asap!!!
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2013, 11:13:00 PM »
I need to get down there asap!!!
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
I suddenly find myself with a strong bloodlust.  
some one help me please.

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2013, 06:24:00 AM »
Ok, fellow TG members!  A good night's rest under my belt.

Off to the office at 7 to battle the alligators and put out the fires that always seem to appear when I'm away.

I'll be back on as soon as I can to add some more perspective!
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2013, 07:00:00 AM »
Yeah Bob, I know the feeling! I'd much rather be back in the swamp where things make sense!

All I have time to do is drop a quick post or email here or there, oh and an occasional teaser pic:

If anyone was wanting a higher resolution version it's out    HERE.

LOTS more to come later.
Thom

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2013, 07:19:00 AM »
After those glorious days at Wild Things with all those wonderful hunters, I came back to the crazy world of work. I'll have time to post a story of our hunt tonight. For now I'll just say that I had a wonderful time.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2013, 07:27:00 AM »
:campfire:

Looking forward to your Tales Joe.  And the rest for that matter.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2013, 08:27:00 AM »
Hogs are anything but easy.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"