3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Barebow ebook series anyone?  (Read 709 times)

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
Barebow ebook series anyone?
« on: December 10, 2013, 12:46:00 AM »
I bought Dennis Dunn's Barebow book and have read his account of hunting each of the 29 Big Game North American species. Just wondered who has purchased the ebook series he has available at a fraction of the hard copy and your thoughts on them.
bryce olson

Offline Tradtical Commando

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Barebow ebook series anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 07:34:00 AM »
I certainly might now that I know they exist

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
Frankly, I bought his book, started reading thru it, and put it aside.  I never finished it.  I was not impressed at all.  My opinion only.  

I really disliked his description of "hail Mary" shooting one of his animals in the rear at quite some range (as I recall).

I feel a bit differently about this game we are playing than he does / did, that's all.  

He put forth the effort and got one of each, I never will, nor do I care.

ChuckC

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
Bryce,
 I just ordered one for myself for Christmas from 3 Rivers but after reading Chucks post I wonder if I wasted my hard earned money?
I should of asked also I guess but thought it would be a good read...
I didn't buy the limited signed copy just the hard back one...

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 04:53:00 PM »
Keith, maybe you will enjoy it.  I hesitated to say anything at all.  Sometimes it is better to just shut up, but it bothered me enough to put it aside.

I don't even know where I put it.  Its stashed somewhere.  Don't even really want to finish it.

ChuckC

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
I have not read the book, but that is a brutally honest review from a man I respect. I don't think I'll be adding it to my library.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
I also began reading it and also quit. He seemed to have a lot of shortcuts in his hunting methods.

Offline L. Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
Was hunting in Alaska and ran into Dennis, After a couple of days of stories I decided the last book I would ever buy would be his.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »
Bryce,
 This message is only directed to you..Did you honestly enjoy "Any" parts of the book...I'm sure he must of had at least a few of the hunts that were  interesting or was it as bad as many as claimed already? I haven't read mine yet and I won't cast stones cause I'm not perfect myself!
I have made many mistakes in my lifetime myself!
Just hoping someone else might of found just one good story from the man...

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »
I bought the E-book The Barebow Elk Book, I read it and I'd say it was okay. I did not feel it was worth it to me to purchase any more of the series though.

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 01:01:00 AM »
The stories are as good as you will read anywhere. They are better than the TBH stories by far. Dennis is an easy reading writer, not like the difficult reads you encounter in our flagship magazine, TBH. I realize you can't please everyone, and we all have our opinions, I certainly have mine. I know Dennis from hunting camps to conventions and he is very knowledgeable as a Bowhunter. He has taken all 29 species in NA many with both a compound and a recurve.  If you enjoy hunting with a bow, I certainly don't know how you could read his stories and not feel like you were there waiting to see how the event would unfold. Hope you will share your opinion after reading his work
bryce olson

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 06:24:00 AM »
Thanks for some encouraging comments Bryce ...There is "some" hope I will at least enjoy a story or two!
I did notice you asked for "comments" and well there was some that discouraged me that I wasted my money But that's just their opinion and I can accept that and decide for myself as well ...I appreciate your comment and hope someone else has a good one as well...

Offline johnm856

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 06:57:00 AM »
I bought one of the e-books and was disappointed to learn many of his hunts were with a compund. But I found him to be a good writer and often looked forward to the next time I had a few minutes to read.

Ended up buying the rest in the series and enjoyed it.
JM

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
you can go to  www.outdoorhub.com  and click on the hunting tab, then stories and read for free, make your own opinion
bryce olson

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
I know this is traditional archery , BUT wasn't his compound kills made with a barebow compound?
If so , that is still a feat to be even more proud of than a recurve kill with sights.  Shooting barebow compound is harder in some aspects than shooting recurve or longbow. That's the honest truth!!! Some aspects are easier such as holding weight, but a minor form flaw with a barebow compound it GREATLY exaggerated on the target face as compared to a forgiving longbow or recurve.
The man still deserves respect for what he has done.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
I have not read this book but I am familiar with Dunn's writings and find him to be an entertaining story teller. As far as books I've read about the Super Slam, I have read Chuck Adams and Tom Mirandas books and made this generalization. It is not possible to take everyone of these animals without having to shoot in excess of 50 yards. A super slam with a bow is not possible without being a highly practiced archer and the men who have done it are all ethical hunters up to the demands.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »
glad to hear these reviews  i almost got the deer book but just had the idea it wasnt what i wanted to read..  one e book i found to be a good buy was Mark Bakers tension on the string. I am currently reading MR James's book but dont think I am gonna make it very far before finding something else...
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »
"Shooting a compound barebow is harder in some aspects than shooting a recurve or longbow."

I'll have to respectfully disagree.

Offline Bill Leeming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
I bought one- too much miscellaneous stuff. That one was enough.

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »
you can go to  www.outdoorhub.com  and click on the hunting tab, then stories and read for free, make your own opinion
bryce olson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©