3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrows for girlfriends bow  (Read 386 times)

Offline Mryan2176

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrows for girlfriends bow
« on: December 10, 2013, 03:54:00 AM »
I bought my my girlfriend a samick ca 60 longbow 35@28, she draws 25". I was thinking carbon express predator 2s 800 spine cut to 28" with 125 out front, plus the halfout insert that weighs 46.6 grains. Stu's calculator seems to agree. I am having trouble keeping her around 10 GPP. These will weigh in around 370 grains and is pretty close to 10 GPP. I don't want her to feel like she is shooting logs. It was difficult to convince her to let me buy her a lighter bow, My sage with 40 pound limbs is still a  tiny bit heavy.She think i'm insinuating that she is a wimp, Women right? This bow won't be hunting, i'm just trying to find a good setup that will shoot reasonably flat out of her bow . Does this sound about right to you guys? Also, she wants to deer hunt next season, with her short 25 " draw what draw weight at 28" should she try to build up to.? She seems to be a natural at shooting. Would 45 @28 be about right. She would be around 36 at 25 right ? Hope you guys or gals especially have some input for me. Thanks Matt

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrows for girlfriends bow
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 06:48:00 AM »
Hey Matt, I would agree with the cx 800's but can 't imagine why you would want to weight it up to 10g per lb. That bow will like those arrows just fine with the glue in nibs that are available at 80g, but it you must put in the half out's, I would go with no more than 100g tips.

Being that she will only be shooting field tips out of it, ultra precise tuning is not necessary as it will be nearly impossible to discern the difference once the shafts are fletched. She will not like it if you weight them down to 10gpp (ideal weight in my opinion for a hunting set up).

45 @ 28 should be closer to 37,38 lbs at 25. The 3 lb per inch rule is just a general guideline and as you go down in weight...low 40s or lower it is more like 2-2.5 lb per inch and when you go up, 60's on  up, it increases to 3 + per inch.
For deer and bear, it should work, but I feel an absolute minimum.
There are lots of threads about people killing critters with sub 40 lb bows, but no one ever talks about any of the failures to recover shots. You know there has to be some too as there are plenty of failures in the stories of lost critters in the 40 plus lb category.

I sell lots of the cx 800's at shows especially after they have had an opportunity to try an arrow.
I have never had a customer with a sub 35lb bow tell me that they didn't fly better than their current set up.

thanks, bigjim

P.s. we keep most anything you may need in stock with the cx and most any other arrow mfg
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 06:53:00 AM »
X2

Offline ghall80

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 07:22:00 AM »
BIG JIM is st on with what he says

Victory Arrows makes a carbon Jr arrow that's is 28" in length and is 20-35lb spine I bet would shoot great out of that set up and they take the standard insert.

Hope that helps
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway--JOHN WAYNE

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 10:07:00 AM »
My girlfriend shoots a similar set up. She uses the 600 spined grizzly sticks and the 1535 BLEMS GTs that big jim sells they work great with simple 125 up front.. You don't need to get 10gpp at all. Nor do you need stus calculator in this case. In fact if you wanted to save a bunch of $$$ and learn woodies in the process.  You can use and fletch up wooden dowels and they will work fine as well.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »
Matty, if you ever get the chance, have her try the cx 800's. They will fly so much better and be very light comparatively  ...that is unless your worried about her out shooting you  :) .

this is actually a very reasonable set up and the cheapest and simplest way out is to use the glue in pts that are designed for these shafts. Glue em in, no more issues. Not a set up you will need to play with the point weight either.
Those victory arrows are a .600 spine in girls and .500 in boys and much stiffer than the CX. (20-35lb in relation to compound bow).

No offense either Matty, but she is not a kid...she already thinks she's gotten a wimp bow. Give her some inconsistant cheapo wood arrows and she will never be happy.

good luck, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Mryan2176

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 01:37:00 AM »
Thanks guys. Matt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©