3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: COLD bowhunting  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: COLD bowhunting
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
Yeah its sort like Stickflinger said.  We don't have a choice around here.  The deer hunting is pleasant in Sept and Oct, but the good hunting doesn't start until early Nov.   By then its usually 30-40 at the warmest.  Night temps are 0-20ish.  

That said, Montana sees big temp swings each day, so a day my start at 0 but will likely warm to 20ish.   Below zero is where I draw the line.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
The sleeping bag would work. I know a friend that did that way before the heater body suit was developed. My bag is a western mountaineering so the heater body suit would be cheaper to buy.
This is my routine, I have been a cold freak for 30 years. I have tried just about everything and spent a few thousand dollars on clothes.  The key in our area is not to get moisture on your skin on the walk in. I remember when I was a kid, an old man stayed all day in a tree stand at 5 degrees. The wind chill was 10-20 below that day. We were hunting a state draw lottery system and he drew the best stand. The rangers checked on him several times that day and each time he stated he was alright. I remember him coming out to the parking lot after dark. He was wearing that old wool plaid and carrying a thermos. I do not know who he was but he inspired me. I could not hunt more than an hour or so. My feet froze and I was extremely cold despite my white cotton underwear.       Thirty some years later, I have it down to a science. I made heat vest using a cheap polar fleece vest with sewn pockets. I use a combination of silk,  ulfrotte wool,or Sitka gear underwear depending on the temp, humidity,etc. I use Micky mouse boots when it gets bitter cold. I  place body warmers in my vest and carry the vest in a knapsack with my heater body suit. I agree with keeping your head and neck warm. I use a polar fleece head band that is cut for a pocket in which I place a hand warmer. I put it in my knapsack and place it at the base of my posterior neck when on stand. The blood is warmed as it circulates to my head. I use a balaclava damart hood.
I have KOM wool I use on occasion but I prefer fleece for the freedom of movement if a shot presents.  A ground blind really helps when it gets down in the single digits also.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
the question was asked how do we do it in ak.  well we don't.  not in the stand anyway.  predator hunting requires some sitting but I don't know many people that sit longer than thirty min at one set.  I have done some stand hunting in the spring and in texas and im impressed that you guys can do it for so long and miserable conditions.

Offline mooshkat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
Its only going  to get to 4degress tomorrow with wind chills around 30below in NE wi. I dont plan on going back out till muzzleloader and this stupid late doe season is over. By the time the WDNR get done there wont be many deer left in the state.
59 kodiak purpleheart
Bear takedowns A and B
59 Kodiak maple
Dwyer Original, Stewart Slammer, Bear Cub, TT Black Magic, RC Extremes, selfbows

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
If its 10-20 I can sit 3 hours. If its colder, i need to be on the ground, out of the wind and buried beneath a pile of hand warmers.  :biglaugh:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
Wait a minute, I've read countless posts where if I wear wool I never ever get cold. Where are these folks on threads like this?

Yes it's the brutal cold time of year. First off if you can't stop the wind through your clothing your done! I personally have never seen wool clothing stop the wind! Read that again, it's not traditional but wool alone does not stop wind!

With that said even if you stop the wind yes this time of year can be brutal. But you can do it for awhile IF YOU STOP THE WIND from blowing thru your insulating clothing!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
Depends on your definition of "success".  Spent part of one afternoon southeast of Mt Horeb Wisconsin when the starting temp was -12 deg F.  Made it about 2 hours.  Had a small spike walk by me as I sat on my "Torges Tree Seat".  No shot opportunity.  It was freakin' cold and not the most pleasant sit I've ever made.
homebru

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
Hope to get out tomorrow. Supposed to be 10 degrees. Love my wool with wind shear, and hand warmers.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 12:54:00 AM »
For wool clothing for me it is on the bottom a poly longjohn, then wool longjohn, than heavy wool pants, then poly/cotton pnats over that. On top it is wool longjohn, Filson wool shirt, a filson wool vest, than a camo double mac. If there is more wind than I like I put a light cotton poly lined jacket over the shirt and under the coat. It is important that you do not trap moisture, that will make any air moving through seem much colder.  I wear mukluks for boots and a double thick wool stocking cap. If I am turkey hunting, I do not wear the over pants or the light inside jacket. The better the wool the less the wind blows through it, but breathbility is vital because working up a sweat is not an option.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
In the early 1980's I was hunting on the IN/MI state line one evening. It was VERY cold, I remember about how cold it was but I won't write it here because it is unbelievable -- well under zero.

I figured the more pain I endure the more likely I would encounter a large deer. I didn't see a deer that evening. I was in a Baker climber. It was so cold my hands felt like sticking to the climber as I came down the tree.

I remember when I arrived at my truck after dark I was so numb and so slow that I felt I could only manage one attempt at unlocking my truck door. I got it on the first try.

I will hunt when it is that cold, but not often and then only if it is an "exciting" stand.
Every hunt I ever made in a Baker tree stand was "exciting"
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2013, 08:35:00 AM »
Our group(brothers) teams up in the cold and does organized nudges after stand hunting.  Think how fun that is to sit getting colder and colder,  knowing at 9 am you will have brown fur on a white background filtering through the woods. The sound,  the movement,  it's all really exciting. You can put deer right in your lap for nice close encounters,  even on the ground.  Really great to blood track on snow too.

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2013, 08:46:00 AM »
I do not like hunting with snow. Snow is loud, if it crunches it is louder than leaves, if it makes that packing sound that is loud than leaves. Snow camo is only effective if you are up against something that is white. If you are ever sitting low and watch someone wearing white come through the woods, that movement  of white shows up more than anything.  Deer can see motions of me not quite holding myself or my bow perfectly still when they look me over better when there is white between the trees. I hope it melts before I go after my late season doe and  turkey.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
Gordy, while I agree with you, I hunt alone most times.  Have you ever tried to do a push by yourself ?  It doesn't work near as well as when there are others involved.

CHuckc

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
I have used a patterned behavior of the compound hunters on public land to my advantage. Around 9:30 they all march back to the road for their around the pickup talk. They stir up the deer for those of us that sit all day. When I push deer by myself, that is almost always the same as, I busted them and they ran away.

Offline wixwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
Pick game that keeps you moving and warm!

Fort Collins Archery Association
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
NRA Life Member

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
Geno,

I shot this warrior in the last minutes before closing on your birthday 12/31/09 and recovered him News Years morning at sunrise, -15 degrees.

I only hunt the hours that I feel that I am going to see deer, namely the last 2 hours of the day.  I know where they are going to appear and plan for that ambush.  

I can do anything for two hours and seldom get cold, no matter how cold it is.  De-scent prior to the hunt in a nice HOT shower, dry yourself thoroughly but keep your core hot.  

***Trick - I throw my merino underwear in dryer to warm-up, plus hat, socks and whatever else.  Do NOT overdress.  Loftiness is important; your body has to breath and ventilate.  I wear XXL, leather, fleece lined, Chopper mittens and shoot bare handed and bare-fingered.  

I DO NOT wear a face mask, if you want to miss a deer bowhunting...wear a face mask IMO.  Unless you practice with one on all the time, it is the worst thing you can do for your anchor.  Don't bother going out if you are not going to sit on something soft and warm, i.e. foam seat cushion, two of them preferably.

I LOVE late season bowhunting, it is my preference!  Overcoming the elements is half the fun.  Harvesting an animal is bonus but when you do it, it seems even more special.

Kris

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2013, 06:15:00 AM »
beautiful buck and great topics you have posted there Kris!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
Thanks Jarrod,

Obviously, I am hunting the late season out of the comforts of my own home, hence the pre-hunt warmup ritual.  Away from home I think the most important thing is to not get sweated-up getting into your stand or climbing your tree.  I strip down to underwear and carry everything in.  

I often have to sit for a while in my stand, without much on, to cool down...it very frustrating sometimes and I often sit there cursing myself for getting so steamed-up.  Inevitably you'll end up cold then.  This too, emphasizes the importance of good wicking materials, merino wool being my favorite.

Will be practicing all these techniques here this weekend and the forecast is for the single digits.

Love the solitude of the cold snowy woods, silently sitting in my favorite wool, watching chickadees from my "warmest" conifer tree stand, waiting for that telltale movement...

Kris

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
Lots of good advice on this thread. Thanks for that everyone. What I'm finding this year (bowhunting as a journey of self discovery!) is that I am feeling the cold more, but I am able to tolerate it longer, if that makes sense. Getting down from the treestand is a challenge when you've been sitting (stiffening) in the cold. I have started wearing wool again, and if I can get a windproof layer on somewhere, it's as warm or warmer than insulated synthetics. Did I mention the liberal use of chemical warmers? Two in the boots, 4 on the body (2-front, 2 back) and 2 on the upper legs as well as one in each glove. The woods are beautiful when it's cold and snowy, as are the deer, with their puffed-out fur and billowing breath. Love it!

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
would like to see some more pics of deer taken in the cold, need some motivation to get out in this frigid weather, Kris awesome pic    :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©