3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Draw weight question???  (Read 437 times)

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Draw weight question???
« on: December 10, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
The knowledge base of this site never ceases to amaze and I submit this question with full expectation of contemplating far more than a simple draw weight question...

Last week I was shooting a local archers Greg Coffey made Shrew(jrchambers), and noticed that
a heavy bow built for a longer draw-length than my own felt quite smooth at my shorter draw-length.

I generally shoot 53-55# at 28" and wondered if one can be better served by ordering a 62# @ 30" bow?  I've read were Cade Cabrera is shooting his fathers Kempf Raven based on this principle.  

Is there a cleaner release when shooting a bow designed for your draw-length versus perhaps a more spongy feel of drawing far short of the stacking point?

Thanks in advance,

Keith
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Draw weight question???
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 12:50:00 PM »
If bows both are say 60",one marked 55#@28 and the other one marked 62#@30.What does the bowyer due diiferent in making the each bow.Other then what he writes on either bow?Does he use a different taper in the laminations?Different length in the riser of the longer draw bow he is building in the same 60" bows?

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »
keith my bow was built for 58 at 28.  what you were feeling is the beauty of the shrew, its that smooth to 30.5

Offline hunthold

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
I think the bow design was the result of it feeling smooth for ya..

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
Hmmm...  Perhaps I'm overthinking this.  I do believe, however, that some bowyers do have different lamination recipes to accomodate our more primate natured brethern.
   :dunno:
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
you are right about that keith. although the overall design, ex forward riser, more working limb, heavy reflex deflex, shorter brace height and many more I don't understand.  there are quite a few shorter bows that are made for above average draw lengths, just like there are a lot of in between length bows that are not.  I have a 64 inch Adcock 3 piece rd  that hits the wall at 30.5

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »
Take a look at the Bigfoot Bows website...Kirk is a sponsor and frequent contributor here...pay particular attention to his bowyers notes which discuss bow construction for specific draw lengths...I draw somewhere around 30.5 inches and have come to the conclusion I shoot best with a bow that draws on the harsh side and stacks some...I find it gives me a feeling of being more in the shot...having said that I also like my static tip which kind of works the other way...no stack and even a bit of let-off feel...all comes down to the same thing...personal preference of the moment

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
Though a few bowyers may use different limb stacks/tapers, riser lengths, etc to accommodate different draw lengths, most just make the bow the same and mark it differently, for example 50#@28 becomes 55#@30, etc.  That's the way all commercial bows that I'm aware of were made in the past. That gives their bows a lot of versatility because one knows that the bows can be shot at a little above or below 28 inches with good results.  

Bows actually built for specific quite short or quite long draw lengths aren't very versatile because the short bows will stack quickly beyond their intended draw length, and the long bows will be soft and slow below theirs.

However, at any given draw weight, a longer bow will generally feel smoother  (which for some means it feels lighter though it really isn't) all else being equal.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
BTW I have checked draw weights on quite a variety of bows at between 28 and 31 inches...a bow that is 62 pounds at 30 inches could very easily still be 58 pounds at 28 inches...I have a 58 inch d/r longbow that is 49 at 28 and 53 at 30 inches...all depends on design

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 03:10:00 PM »
Yep  The 2-3# weight gain per inch of additional draw is just a general guideline/rule of thumb.  How much a bow actually builds weight (or loses weight under 28 inches, is a function of initial bow weight, length and design.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
I asked the same question a while back. Got the same consensus. Big Jim added his knowledge in that thread, and said bowyer's don't change the bow to suit the draw length, that's a matter of the particular bow's length.
Pretty much as I'm reading it here.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©