3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Standing instead of sitting?  (Read 777 times)

Offline bbell

• Trad Bowhunter
Standing instead of sitting?
« on: December 10, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »
Did a search and couldnt find what I was looking for. When hunting on the ground how many prefer to stand? Are you able to stand still very long or do you find your self moving to much? Just curious to hear your opinions. Thanks.

Brandon

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Standing instead of sitting?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
I sit a lot more than I stand. When I still hunt, I may stand in one spot for a few minutes, but if I am in a natural ground blind, I will be sitting much more than standing as a rule. I try and find something that I can back up to so that I can be more still, and sometimes I carry a stool or a portable chair, which helps the 'fidgets' a lot.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
I carry a small fold-up stool with back support when hunting on the ground. The only time I stand up is to stretch or get a better view for a short while.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
Even when I am still hunting, I have a camo pad dangling from my belt. It is good to get off of ones feet at times, and the pad makes the wet ground drier and that lumpy log softer.

Offline bbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
I usually have a seat also. Lately i have been using a tree seat that i made. It seems to work the best for me. Although i seem to be getting a growing collection of stools :-) I can imagine trying to stand for a long time on stand would get old quick.

Brandon

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »
In a tree or on the ground, i can sit more quietly.  I prefer to shoot from a sitting position as well.

Offline StickSlinger74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »
I carry the Millennium Tree Seat with me.  Light and sets up in a second!  I sit more than I stand although I tend to stand for the last 30 mins or so before dark!

Offline gnihsifnamk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
I have a real hard time standing still, whenever I stand I get busted. Sitting helps me relax and focus better.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
When I'm hunting I'm always standing, I never sit anywhere in the woods...  My sitter's broken so I have to stand.. Can't sit comfortably for over 5 minutes...  
  Not only in the woods, at home too, either kneel, stand or lay down.. Sure do miss sitting, lol...

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
My low back is shot, I wish that i could stay on my feet longer. I think deer can see small motions that I make after I have been on my feet for too long. I hunt with a Nifty seat quite often as well, but I need to have that up against something to keep those small motions from signaling close by deer. With my back condition, if I broke my sitter, I would not be able to hunt.  The older I get the farther away the ground is getting.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
I simply can't stand still, so I only hunt sitting down.
Sam

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
I split the difference and mostly hunt off my knees. I'll sit on a turkey hunting cushion while waiting but when primetime rolls around I sit up on my knees because I shoot better that way.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
When I'm on the ground I sit more than stand.
When I'm in a tree I stand more than I sit.

On the ground I feel better concealed sitting and hidden.

Offline Stephengiles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
Carry a small foam pad to sit on the ground. It weighs nothing and keeps the butt from getting wet. I hunt very uneven ground. It would be like standing on a fairly steep roof most of the time. Not very comfortable. I am saving my pennies though to buy a tree seat. I had a great buck at 20 yards Monday, no blind,and I was afraid to reposition my self for the shot. I would have to had taken a reverse cant shot to clear the ground,that's something I never tried so that was out. I feel that if I'd been in a tree seat I could have just raised my bow and shot vertically. I think if I had been standing though he would have never come that close. I don't know how Pat b. does it.

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by StickSlinger74:
I carry the Millennium Tree Seat with me.  Light and sets up in a second!  I sit more than I stand although I tend to stand for the last 30 mins or so before dark!
I have one as well, it is super comfortable. I practiced shooting out of it until I was very very confident using it. All it needs is a cup holder.   :bigsmyl:  

I like how you can set it up at the height you need. If you are on a slope your but may be close to the ground but your feet are downhill and your knees are bent perfectly to stand if needed.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »
I stand next to trees or bushes a lot.  I have stood stock still for over an hour, I usually just close my eyes and meditate.  I think I was a Marine in a former life haha.  I had two does and two bucks walk up on me as a group that way last year.  Didnt seal the deal cause something scared em off, not me, and wasn't able to get a shot.  I find much past an hour and I'm ready to move on.  For sitting long periods I need a nice upright position.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
I stand almost all the time. If on the ground, I will stand all the time. In a tree stand I will be on my feet for about 90% of the time. I find that I am able to be "ready" that much quicker when I am on my feet.

I personally have seen many deer while standing on the ground, and in a stand, and haven't been spotted. I was also able to take my first traditional deer from the ground this year.

Controlling movement is critical whether sitting or standing so discipline to move slowly is critical.

Enjoy.
David

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Bigfoot Flatliner 55@28 64" (New!)
Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline bbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
I am sure it is something you have to get use to. I stand when setting up for calling elk. I can adjust to the situation better. Next year I think I will try standing a bit more. Easier to find a spot that way.

Brandon

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
I never thought much about standing when ground hunting until one day I walked by a guy leaning against a tree. When he moved I about crapped my pants! He wore camo and had a headnet on and  was invisible to me as I walked by at about 5 feet.

He was hunting with a %$@&! X-gun but he sure was doing a good job of blending in.

I usually sit but will lean against a tree when I stand to stretch or break from still hunting.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »
I did my time on my feet many yrs ago before tree stands had seats on them.

Seems like everytime I see a deer coming my way from a distance and stand up, I end up in a stare down with my bow arm stretched out..so I don't get up any more unless I have to turn around on the stand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©