3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looking for a CO. Elk hunt...  (Read 310 times)

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
Looking for a CO. Elk hunt...
« on: December 11, 2013, 02:51:00 AM »
I might be asking the impossible here, but I have a friend who wants to Elk hunt this year.

He's had both knees and both hips replaced, is a bit handicapped by this and can't get around like he once could.

Does anyone know of a place in CO. that one could buy OTC tags, and use an ATV to get at least within a mile or so of the hunt area?

He can walk alright, but he is very slow. A couple miles in the AM and at quitting time would be manageable.

He is willing to either pay a trespass fee on private land or go to a fairly good public area.

A cow tag would be fine as he is most interested in the meat.

Any help would be appreciated in the way of who to call, where to inquire, etc.

Thank you.
Irv Eichorst

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking for a CO. Elk hunt...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
Irv, one of the problems you and your friend are facing here is the ATV you mention. I have talked to people in the Colorado DNR about it and a number of articles have been published in National Publications on this subject. Elk tend to stay a long way from ATVs putting around in the Mountains. Absolutely the biggest problem in Colorado's Wilderness Areas is ATV riders, usually non-residents who feel like the rules banning them are for someone else. The short story is that where you have much ATV activity you are not likely to find many elk.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
I would bet you can find elk within a mile of a dirt road in any OTC unit in CO.  There are elk within a mile of the interstate in some units.  Would he be able to pack an elk out a mile?
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
Packing one out after he got one down could be a problem. It is no picnic for a fit person, let alone someone like your friend.
And, a mile in the high country is different from a mile on flat land.
How about a nice antelope hunt from a waterhole blind?
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »
All of the above are the right answer. Even here a mile is a long way. Because it won't be on flat land. I would more describe it like walking up and down a flight of stairs for a mile. There are places in the zirkles where you can access by atv where there aren't people pleasure riding. But for the most part. Atv=no elk. Unless you are on private. I think you should consider an outfitter that can bring you into the back country with horses and get you where the elk might be just a bit from camp.   Cuts out a lot of home work and labor

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »
You guys bring up some interesting points and I thank you for them.
The only elk I ever shot was a four by five and with an outfitter near Meeker in the Flat Tops.
It was in '07 and the price with horse assist and tent camp and all was under $3k.
I was placed in a stand over a waterhole and tagged out in the first 2 hours on opening day.
The outfitter took care of everything, meals, horses, pack mules, and of course the place to hunt.
I have no problem paying an outfitter for these services, especially since I know the work it entails.
Thank you very much for your replies.
I think I will try to steer my friend toward this same guy, if he still does these hunts.
BTW, I couldn't agree more about the ATVs and don't use them myself.
Wilderness should be wilderness, and that's that!
Irv Eichorst

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©