3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Warmest Base Layers  (Read 723 times)

Offline bkbk12

• Trad Bowhunter
Warmest Base Layers
« on: December 11, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
Just wondering who you guys think make the best, warmest base layers. I need to order up a set and have been looking at the under armour 4.0 but cant find a whole lot of information on it I don't mind spending the money I just want the best I can get trying to cut back on the bulky clothes its hard to shoot the recurve with those big sleeves. Any help is appreciated.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Warmest Base Layers
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
UA 4.0 is great if you are not moving a lot. There are also several companies that make wool base layers. I prefer KUIU and red ram.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline pukwana

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »
I recently bought some minus33 merino wool base layers and like it alot. Its very warm and soft, the most comfortable I have tried.  I think its all I will use from now on.

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
Merino wool is hard to beat. Different weights are available for different levels of physical activity.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 10:11:00 AM »
ditto - Merino, it's all I wear.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
I wear silk long johns, followed by under armour or thermax, then a wool or berber fleece. Best system I have found to date.

Of course Oklahoma is not known for its cold temperatures, Up until this last week, that is.  :)
We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
Merino wool for me.  Not only is it warm and comfortable but it doesn't stink up like the synthetics do.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
sorry to hi-jak this thread but staying on the subject with a question to you guys with the merino wool what brands are you using,, also the wool base layers how are you washing and drying?  finally have any of you bought a size too big and shrunk them on purpose for a tighter weave?
"Us vs Them"

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
minus33 is the best bang for the buck IMO.  Standard washer and dryer.  They don't shrink when washing.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
I've had no trouble washing Smartwool long underwear in cold water and drying in dryer. I wear the thin stuff so it breaths and transfers to the next layer.  Look for it on sale at the end of the season in cross country ski shops or backpacking stores or other outdoor places. The local cross country ski shop has a buy one, get one for one penny sale at the end of the season and that's where I typically get mine.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline DaDVM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
Wool by far the warmest, after switching to wool, you couldn't pay me to wear under armour base layers again

Offline NormanDale33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
Merino wool for me too. Especially if you plan on going back country ever. I wear the same under garments all week and the smell is minimal...seriously. It is all I wear.

Look on backcountry, skiing and backpacking sites for stuff on sale. I prefer Icebreaker if on sale, if not look at Kuiu or minus33. I have hard a hard time with smart wool smelling like our horses do after I start to sweat for some reason. PM for places to find it.
Show me your ways, LORD,teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me,for you are God my Savior,and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalms 25:4-5

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
Smart/Marino wool !,
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline bkbk12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
Okay so Merino Wool it is have any of you guys used the minus 33 compared to the First lite ?

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
Not compared to First Lite but I have had Filson Merino, IceBreaker Merino and Minus33 Merino.  The Minus33 has been the best.  Icebreaker is 2nd - quality was good but the price was high.  Filson is last as I didn't think the quality of the knit was very good.  I have not had any Ulfrotte as the price is out of my budget.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
I prefer the silk base layer topped with merino wool. It is light but very warm. Fortunately for me, it doesn't usually get cold enough around here to need any more under layers than this, especially when topped by wool trousers.
Sam

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
I like compression UA Cold Gear against the skin and merino wool for the next layer. If really cold, then the Simms fleece union suit, made for Winter wading in icy rivers, over the first two.

Offline Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
I have merino bottoms and top from Filson.  Warm, but not made very well in my opinion.  The knees wore out really fast and have had to be sewn up.  Not worth the money.  Go with other merino wool makers.  Also, I like the Cabela's ECWCS stuff.  Really warm, and not bulky, even the polar weight stuff.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline Bama Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
I made an investment in some Ulfrotte wool. Love it. Much better than UA in my opinion. Base layer doesn't have to be tight. In fact a little loose is better.  
 http://www.woolpower.se/en/material/ullfrotte-original-the-material/
"Relax and pick a spot"

Offline EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
I haven't tried the First Lite, but also have minus33 and like it a lot.  As others have mentioned, it's very soft, quiet, warm, and machine washable.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©