3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Convert!  (Read 565 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
New Convert!
« on: December 11, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
Well my phone rings yesterday and its my brother. He has been bow hunting since 1986. Always been a compounder. So when he said "I'd like to give a recurve a try" my mouth dropped and I couldn't say a word for several minutes.

So just to let you know he is very frugal. He is left eye dominant and needs a lefty so he can't use any of my bows and will have to buy one. So I'm thinking ok he isn't serious right? So last night I sent him three bows for sale (thanks Buckster) and he just called and ordered one of them.

Now he has killed a bus full of monster bucks and I never thought he would take this step. I can't tell you how stoked I am. Wish him luck!!!!

TJ
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Convert!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
Thats GREAT I wish him luck also tell him now its time to have fun and when he closes the deal tell him...HOW MUCH BETTER WAS IT?He will be hooked!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
TJ, I wish him luck as well. Once he connects on a deer with his recurve it'll be so long compound for him.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 11:53:00 AM »
Fred, I truly hopes he sticks with it. I tend to think he will. Especially after he kills a buck for a year or two.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
Very cool!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 12:15:00 PM »
Glad to hear of another guy joining the ranks of the "good guys".
Sam

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »
TJ,

a lot will depend on what he wants out of it all.  Likely he will be taking a step back, so 50 yard shots will be past history,  getting closer will be the future.  That may mean some lost opportunities from the start.  Some can't deal with not having all of the bells and whistles available to man kind.  I have a friend like that.

I hope he likes it.  He has a mentor that will do him well.

ChuckC

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
No doubt you will give him all the support needed to make his journey a successful one, get him on TG and we'll help too    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tony Sanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
Well TJ with your skill and expertise guiding him, I am sure he will make out alright. I wish him a lot of luck and dertermination. Keep us posted on his progress.

Tony

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 01:51:00 PM »
He told me he is no longer getting joy from killing a deer with a compound. He said when he gets drawn I know I will hit my mark. He also told me when he sees how much enjoyment I get even from taking a doe, that that is what he wants.

He has a great work ethic, I know he will put in the time and ENJOY shooting a trad bow. The only thing I don't know is what he will do when that big buck is at 40 yards.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »
That's awesome. And just think how easy the transition will be with you to help him out.

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
Bingo TJ…letting that buck at 40 yards walk without regret will be the pivotal moment! Welcome him to the brotherhood for us will ya?

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
Best of luck  :thumbsup:  Now the FUN begins  :archer2:

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
Thirty years ago two of my best hunting buddies converted from Wing compounds to recurves.  Greg is still my best hunting buddy and fellow Shrewhaven Lodge member.  We've since lost Dave, but he was another staunch convert that wasn't looking back.  

I wish you luck in helping him with his transition. Now if you were scheduled for a spring bear hunt together, that would be a perfect introduction. Nice close shot in a more controlled environment.  Maybe an early season doe hits the ground first to break the ice too.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline lunchbucket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
TJ I dont know who will enjoy his quest most you or him.Best of luck and congratulations!

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
TJ... rarely does one have such a good mentor to usher them into the Traditional journey.  I hope this binds your relationship even more with your brother and I look forward to hearing about his progression.
Very good decision to start him out Lefty as he is LED.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »
TJ, I think when the buck walks at 40 yds , he will be planning a way to be at 15 next time.

Nothin better than hunting with your bro buddy!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
Help him through and remind him not to get discouraged when he cannot shoot the nock busting groups he could with the wheels. Also make sure he knows that this will take a bit of time to master (if we ever really do master it)!

I know he will have a good teacher, and that is half of the battle of figuring this stuff out in the beginning.

Bisch

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by lunchbucket:
TJ I dont know who will enjoy his quest most you or him.Best of luck and congratulations!
Thanks guys! You got it Scott, I will enjoy this at least as much as he. He is a fantastic hunter and won't need any help from me in that department. I can't wait, this has made my winter.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
Very exciting Tom....I'm sure you will both have a great time with it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©