3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lets go for a walk....  (Read 1301 times)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
Lets go for a walk....
« on: December 11, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »
I grabbed my longbow right after lunch today and decided to go for a walk on a piece of Public land I have not hunted in years. Deer season is not open on the place but small game and pigs are for the taking. I have killed a hog here in the past but having not been on it in a few years I did not know if they were there are not. Did`nt really matter because an evening of shooting my longbow and walking some fine Country was the goal of the day.  When I made my "loop" it would be about a 7 mile walk. Lotta good stump shots in that. Trying to get my legs right for a Mountain adventure this coming year anyway.
   I headed across a fine oak flat that funneled into a tall ridge and Beaver pond. Years ago when I deer hunted here I would see a good many deer use through the edge of the ridge and I have seen a few pigs there as well....

They are still using here as you can tell by this nice rub. I killed a doe under a White Oak maybe 8-10 years ago about 75 yards to the left of this tree. Kinda cool to go through some "Old" hunting spots like this and remember the hunts as if they just happened.

A little Farther down and there was a bit of old pig sign. about 100 yards from here is where my Very Good Friend "MudFeather" got his name..

I went on about another 100 yards where the funnel tightened up some and started wishing I had hunted here THIS year some...

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets go for a walk....
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
I crossed a small run of water and went out into some small ridges that jutted out into a marsh. There was some beat down paths coming across them. the last time I hunted here you could not even begin to walk through this stuff because it was so thick. I had a good wind and even though the pig sign was sparse I took my time looking thinking if pork was here it would be in these thicker areas. I caught a glimpse of movement ahead and a flash of white and spotted a deer. I eased to within 40 yards before I got busted. Can`t shot one here now but its fun to try and sneak up on one.I walked to where it crossed and found a fine trail with an old beaver/pig tree...

Crossed the last finer of pines and dropped off into the Swamp. A beautiful day to be stirring with the longbow. I shot a lot of arrows before I reached this spot. This tree with a high water mark on it caught my eye and I took a pic of it..

The swamp is narrow at this particuler spot and I was standing on the River bank before long. The Altamaha at just a bit over 3 miles old from where the Ocmulgee and Oconee Rivers merge to Birth it....

I looked down from the river bank and spotted this Turtle that did not make it...

I then headed on away from the River NorthWest to spot I have hunted a lot. Then it was a good bit thicker and Deer were seen at least half of the times I climbed.
  In this pic you can see a persimmon tree that is now dead near center of the picture. I killed a doe standing under it years ago . she had two more does with her and I shot her with a homemade longbow. I was climbed in the cypress tree a bit left near the palmetto from the persimmon. About a 12 yard shot. The bright eye tack I used to mark the tree was rusted and gone...

A little bit farther...I gotta get in here next years deer season..

On through the swamp I went ...Make a sound you reckon....

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
:campfire:
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
I crossed a big palmetto flat and came to a Slew. ducks were on it when I came up and flew off. If I would have had an arrow on the string I woulda probably shot one.........next slide please.

Heck of a funnel around the end of it. Lots of deer sign. I walked about 50 yards from here and jumped one. Notice the bass bed with leaves in it at the bottom of the pic..

On up the other side and there is another fine rub...

at the end of another slew there is another fine crossing coming from the bank on the other side as well as another bass bed...

Another slew close to the River covered in deer tracks and a small bit of pork sign...

A huge cypress aint it? If you`ve been to swamper school the persimmon on the right would have caught your eye with plans of deer killing in Sept next year...

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
I love getting to see your part of the world, RC!

Bisch

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
Thanks for taking us along .   :coffee:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
Aside from running into any slithering creatures with fangs...that looks like a great place to still hunt for the day. Some great deer sign too....as always...great photos.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
Finally after a whole lotta walking I come across a Beaver pond with a whole bunch of pig sign . Not a lot is fresh, I walked the whole edge with high hopes but no pork was around..

There were plenty of rubs around it though...

I crossed another rise where I killed a White pig years ago with the first bow I ever made. A short recurve..I was proud of that bow. Had to snap a pic of this fine Christmas Tree the good Lord planted for us to admire...

Good pork crossing here I`d say...

And finally with some tired legs and a lot of bow shots I`m about back to the truck and spot another fine Christmas Tree. Which I hope does not make you think of Santa Claus but of Christ that is here to save all. God Bless and Merry Christmas.RC

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
RC, Thanx for sharing, we are very cold and snowy here so its nice to take a walk with you.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Awesome walkabout there Robert. I would like to go along with you cause we've got a bit of snow on the ground and it's supposed to be 5 degrees in the morning.
Thanks for taking us with you.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 08:35:00 PM »
Very fine walk indeed Robert
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 08:35:00 PM »
Thanks Robert. Enjoyed it as always.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Nice trip you took us on!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
That is a pretty stretch of country.
Sam

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
great pics and thanks for the walk in the southern states!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline CHENRYIV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing RC!!
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and he bends with his might that his >>--> may go swift and far.

Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
That's some great looking country you have there RC   :thumbsup:   .
Love the bass beds not many would of known what made them. Bet there's all kinds of bob cats and coyotes there. Great pictures
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
Beautiful Robert! Fine day bud.
Mike Davenport

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
Thanks for that, I really like Georgia.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
I dug around and found some pics. this is the doe I killed on the white oak...Homemade longbow and snuffer..

The white pig I killed with my first homemade bow..

Still looking for a pic of the one killed on the persimmon.RC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©