3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Specifications of the perfect bow  (Read 624 times)

Offline bowfanatik

• Trad Bowhunter
Specifications of the perfect bow
« on: December 12, 2013, 03:23:00 PM »
I've changed a few bows and I understand that too much to ask. What are you looking for the specifications of your bow ?

Hybrid longbow
62" 60#@29"
tillered 3 under
shelf cut -3/16
take down ,two part
etc .........
something like BigJim Buffalo
PerunH 60"

Shoot a lot and keep it simple

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Specifications of the perfect bow
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
I just ordered a longbow that will be my primary hunting bow:

Forward handle d/r longbow,60 inches amo
55 pounds at 30 inches
Dual shelf since I hunt both right and left

There will be nothing fancy about this bow...Osage riser...red elm cores...brown glass...when I need fancy I will shoot my RER, or my Robertson or my Chek-Mate

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
Mine will be more like Big Jim's Thunder child...just a bit longer

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
I forgot to mention the bow will come with a 10 strand Dynaflight 10 string...I have recently come to believe that, next to great arrows, the string is the most important part of the formula

DDave

Offline ed cowden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
I have changed bows for over 50 years. And also types of bows. I started with a Ben Pearson recurve that I got for Christmas when I was 6 or 7.When I was about 13 I met a man that made custom recurves and I got a used one from him.Next was a Martin Damion Hyatt recurve. Next came 3 compounds which all seemed to have the shortest life spans. Always tuning and blowing up limbs. I was doing allot of range shooting and the compounds of that time would not last more than about six months. About 1989 I started going threw the Tradtional bowhunter magazine and would by a new recurve about every couple months. Then about 1992 started longbows. Now in 2013 I am still looking at different Bowyers but have changed my specs allot since I started.

New design longbow or recurve
I now like a recurve style grip
Static tip 60" Standard recurve 62"
Longbow 66"
I draw 29.5 to 30" so longer bows feel better to me
Nothing over 50# @ 30" prefer around 40# for shooting a lot
A take down is a must if you travel plus you can get different limbs for the same riser

I think any thing you choose is up to your liking. I would not go to high on the draw weight. I know several shooters that have shot elk ,moose with bows under 60#. I know one that went to Africa and shot Kudu, and Eland with a 52# longbow. Hitting with a good broadhead is everything.

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
I like em all, but for me: 68" home made Hill style, about 55-58 pounds. Dacron string, wood or carbon, Big Snuffers. Happy happy happy!

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
I like a three piece takedown recurve somewhere from 56" to 60" and about 50# at 28".  I like a handle that is deflexed, and don't care of a lot of early draw weight. It has to be quiet.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
bows 'n' arras are ALL personally subjective stuff.  each of us needs to figure out what works best for ... each of us.  

there are no shortcuts, trial and error rules.  

sure, you can get and give advice, but the opinions of others is just that.  it's always a crap shoot that what works well for someone else will work well for ... you.  ain't no easy way to choose tackle, but that can be a fun thing in itself.  ymmv.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
bows 'n' arras are ALL personally subjective stuff.  each of us needs to figure out what works best for ... each of us.  

there are no shortcuts, trial and error rules.  

sure, you can get and give advice, but the opinions of others is just that.  it's always a crap shoot that what works well for someone else will work well for ... you.  ain't no easy way to choose tackle, but that can be a fun thing in itself.  ymmv.
"Nailed it!"

Merry Christmas and God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
I'm getting close I think! I just ordered a Big Jim Thunderchild. One piece, 54" 45# @ 28" not sure of the woods but I think I would really like yew wood veneers for the limbs and sheep horn overlays on the back and tips of the bow. As for the riser I would like something dark but I'm going to let Big Jim pick. x2 on quality bow strings, they are every bit as important as arrows.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
A few questions to consider.

How tall are you? What's your draw length? What weight is comfortable when shooting at the range, while standing in a tee shirt? How much lower do you think you should go in weight if hunting while sitting, in the cold and with many layers on? How old are you? Do you think you'll be shooting more or less weight in the future? What will you be hunting? Where will you be hunting? How far will you be shooting? Treestand or ground blind? 3 under or split finger? Will you be traveling with the bow? Do you like new bows or vintage bows?

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mojostick:

How tall are you? What's your draw length? What weight is comfortable when shooting at the range, while standing in a tee shirt? How much lower do you think you should go in weight if hunting while sitting, in the cold and with many layers on? How old are you? Do you think you'll be shooting more or less weight in the future? What will you be hunting? Where will you be hunting? How far will you be shooting? Treestand or ground blind? 3 under or split finger? Will you be traveling with the bow? Do you like new bows or vintage bows?
This!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mojostick:

Exactly why I tend to maintain an inventory of about 15 bows, right and left handed, new and vintage, recurve and longbow, in a variety of draw weights...thanks for reminding me

DDave

Offline paoliguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
I have come to the conclusion the perfect bow is always .... the next one!

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
Ayup.  No right or wrong.  Just what works for you.

I prefer bows under 48" t-t-t, under 40# and as deeply recurved as you or I can make them...
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by paoliguy:
I have come to the conclusion the perfect bow is always .... the next one!
Ain't it the truth!

If I were left with but one bow (gasp!!!) I'd go nuts!!!

But give me two....the first is a MOAB, the second is a short, 3pc, static tip recurve with belly mount limbs (think Eaglewing Steppe Eagle or Kempf Kwyk Styk).
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
The thing about the perfect bow is that not only is it different for everyone, from any given year, and for some, even a change in how we feel, what we are wearing or the weather can change what is the perfect bow. The place to start is always the grip, it has to work for how you shoot. Next would be the pull, then the length, then everything else. Lucky for us, the choice is vast and lots of choices work just fine. After all these years, I know what will work for me, but man I have made a couple of really stupid choices. The two wheeler wing thing that cracked in the middle, that was way too light and way to long of a draw, (I had to stand on my tip toes to get it over the hump) and completely the wrong arrows.  I said 'but I really like the Wing slim line'. He said 'trust me I know that this is what you need'. It was a good thing that the archery shop owner that conned me into that rig went out of business, I would still be picking on him.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »
My perfect bow is a Big River, has a straight grip, R/D profile, 60#@28" and 66" long with an 8 strand D10 string with beaver balls AND be a take down.  Fortunately I have all that in the bow I already shoot except the take down part.  If I absolutely NEED to make a shot, that's the bow that I pick up.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
Ok, I am 5' 9", maybe a tad taller with m'boots on. 27" drawlength, What BowLength would y'all recommend?? Just wondering if mine are "Right" or not.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »
Now with a 27" draw and 5'9" you are about the same as me with a grip with some shape to it, and a tad shorter with a straight grip longbow. I have some experience with length choices. for me an extra long longbow causes the string to contact my body too much in some shooting positions, but it did give me the ability to snag higher apples on the only apple tree where I hunt. But a standard 66" Hill style, 62" r/d, or a 58" hybrid would all fit. A 27" draw is a very convenient draw length. However, John Schulz thought that I was drawing a bit to far for a Hill style bow and he was correct, I am a better shot at 26&1/4" with any straighter gripped longbow regardless of the weight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©